myaka

No program prompts

OA: 7.0.0.1866

Hi,

Today I realized that OA no longer prompts me when I run a new program.

I re-installed it, hoping it would fix it, but nope.

No matter what program I run, it's never added to the Programs overview nor am I ever prompted for it.

I do still receive prompts for the firewall.

(Attached pic shows notepad.exe running, but not being displayed in the overview.)

Hm, it's worse than I thought.

I can manually add a program (via the context menu->add).

But if I then set it to Blocked, I can still run the program!

We'll probably need some logs to see what the problem is. Please open Online Armor, go to Options in the menu on the left, click the little check box to enable debug mode, restart your computer, and then try reproducing your problem (or, in this case, problems). After that, please ZIP your entire logs folder (normally C:\Program Files\Online Armor\Logs), upload it to a website such as RapidShare/DepositFiles/BayFiles/etc (which one you use is up to you), and then copy and paste the link to download the file into a reply (or you can send it to me in a Private Message if you don't want the link posted publicly on the forums). Note that, if you don't have a utility such as 7-Zip, WinZip, or WinRar that you can ZIP files and folders by right-clicking on them, going to Send To, and clicking on Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Note that RapidShare and BayFiles have been having issues lately, and we may not be able to download the files from them. If you have DropBox, Google Cloud Storage, or Microsoft SkyDrive then those services would be more reliable. Also, you can attach files to private messages on these forums, and I would believe the limit is up to 128MB, so if the file is smaller than 128MB then you can just attach it to a private message to me on these forums.

Something strange happened today.

I booted up my PC, and OA asked me to choose Trial vs Premium vs Free again, as if I'd just installed it!

When I chose free, my PC was very unresponsive (applications taking minutes to boot up), and there was no taskbar icon.

So I uninstalled it in safemode..

After rebooting a few times (and trying out Comodo in between, but not liking it), I reinstalled OA.

The problems with the Program guard as remain:

Typical case:

I start ThunderbirdPortable.exe. ThunderbirdPortable.exe launches thunderbird.exe. thunderbird.exe is added to the Programs tab, ThunderbirdPortable.exe is not.

If I start a program that is NOT in the programs tab, ie. app1.exe, I do NOT get a popup. If app1.exe wants internet access, I get a popup, and app1.exe is added to the programs tab. If app1.exe launches app2.exe, I get a popup, and app2.exe is added to the programs tab.

If I manually add app1.exe to the Programs tab, it shows up as Trusted (even if I disable auto-trust programs that Emsisoft deems trustworthy AND disable auto-trust programs signed with valid digital signatures)

I think I've managed to get some better logs this time, so I'll PM them to you.

(edit: Oh god why did it remove newlines)

Well, this is definitely a problem:

SERVICE_NAME: termservice 
        TYPE               : 20  WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS  
        STATE              : 1  STOPPED 
        WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 1077  (0x435)
        SERVICE_EXIT_CODE  : 0  (0x0)
        CHECKPOINT         : 0x0
        WAIT_HINT          : 0x0
Online Armor requires the termservice service to be running, as does Emsisoft Anti-Malware. Try this, and see if it fixes the issue:
  • Right-click on the 'Start' button (or whatever they replaced it with in Windows 8/8.1).
  • Select Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.
  • Type in the following command, and then press Enter on your keyboard:

sc config TermService start= demand
  • If that command runs without errors, then restart your computer and see if the issue is resolved.

[SC] ChangeServiceConfig SUCCESS

But after reboot I still get

STATE              : 1  STOPPED 
        WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 1077  (0x435)

You can force it to run by setting it to automatic instead of manual:

sc config TermService start= auto

TERMSERVICE

STATE              : 4  RUNNING 
                                (STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, ACCEPTS_SHUTDOWN)
        WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 0  (0x0)

However, this did not solve the problem.

Have you tried disabling the option to connect to the Anti-Malware network in the options for Programs?

In OA program options tab, if you put a tick in each of the middle block of 4 options (at the moment you have none ticked there) and then reboot, do you notice any change?

Nope.

If I run notepad.exe or calc.exe (neither of which are in the Programs tab) I do not get a Trusted-notification nor Program-popup, they are not added to the Programs tab, yet they are allowed to run.

I assume that both of the files are digitally signed by Microsoft? If they are, then in the file properties you should be able to check the certificate that was used.

I'm not sure how to check if they're signed, unless you mean the various ©'s in the details tab.

They're just an example anyway: freshly compiled .exe's behave the same way.

ps. I believe the troubles started when I updated from windows 8 to 8.1, not entirely sure since it took me a while to notice the problem (since I don't run new exe's every day..)

Repeated (un)installs since then have not improved things.

I also noticed that the anti-keylogger tab is completely empty.

We'll probably need some logs to see what the problem is. Please open Online Armor, go to Options in the menu on the left, click the little check box to enable debug mode, restart your computer, and then try reproducing your problems with Online Armor. After that, please ZIP your entire logs folder (normally C:\Program Files\Online Armor\Logs), upload it to a website such as RapidShare/DepositFiles/BayFiles/etc (which one you use is up to you), and then copy and paste the link to download the file into a reply (or you can send it to me in a Private Message if you don't want the link posted publicly on the forums). Note that, if you don't have a utility such as 7-Zip, WinZip, or WinRar that you can ZIP files and folders by right-clicking on them, going to Send To, and clicking on Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Note that RapidShare and BayFiles have been having issues lately, and we may not be able to download the files from them. If you have DropBox, Google Cloud Storage, or Microsoft SkyDrive then those services would be more reliable. Also, you can attach files to private messages on these forums, and I would believe the limit is up to 128MB, so if the file is smaller than 128MB then you can just attach it to a private message to me on these forums.

Yes, you're right. My mistake. ;)

I forgot I had already forwarded your logs to one of our developers. I guess we're just waiting on him to reply now.