Xanthos

Black Screen before Windows is fully booted

Hello all,

I've installed and uninstalled EAM multiple times hoping this problem would be eventually solved. However, perhaps it's my individual computer. I'm not sure. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit with a quad core Intel processor and 16 GB of RAM.  When I'm booting my computer, before the welcome screen appears, this black screen shows up with a simple cursor. This can last from 5 to 15 seconds. It only happens when EAM is installed, although I have noticed this issue with a demo of Bit Defender as well. My first question is should I be concerned with this behavior? Secondly, is there any way to eliminate this issue? Let me know if you need any other information. Thanks!

It's probably a certain part of the login process that is running slowly. This could be caused by EAM monitoring something on startup. In general it isn't a big deal, so long as a few extra seconds in the boot cycle doesn't bother you.

Hello all,

I've installed and uninstalled EAM multiple times hoping this problem would be eventually solved. However, perhaps it's my individual computer. I'm not sure. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit with a quad core Intel processor and 16 GB of RAM.  When I'm booting my computer, before the welcome screen appears, this black screen shows up with a simple cursor. This can last from 5 to 15 seconds. It only happens when EAM is installed, although I have noticed this issue with a demo of Bit Defender as well. My first question is should I be concerned with this behavior? Secondly, is there any way to eliminate this issue? Let me know if you need any other information. Thanks!

Hello,

I have the same problem, though it lasted only 2-3 seconds. Never bother with it.It's been there since I installed EAM last year. Most important EAM is working fine and no slow down. :)

Can it be a drive that is not accessable at the time of login? I didn't used to have that issue until this morning. My delay is more than 2-3 seconds I believe in total (wait after password entering, wait at black screen) about 30 seconds.

It's more likely that explorer.exe is loading just a little bit slower than normal. It is possible to create a process exclusion for explorer.exe if you want to see if that resolves the issue. Here's some instructions on how to create a process exclusion:

• Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware from the icon on the desktop.
  • Click Guard in the menu on the left.
  • Go to the File Guard tab.
  • In the lower-left corner, just above Alerts, click on the Manage whitelist link.
  • In the box under Type click the little down arrow and change it from File to Process (you may need to click in the box for the arrow appear).
  • Click in the white box below Item to make a button with three dots (...) appear, and then click the ... button.
  • Navigate to the directory where the files you wish to exclude are located, and double-click on one of them to add it.
  • Repeat the last 3 steps as needed to add each file to the exclusions list.
  • Click the OK button at the bottom when done, and close Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
On most computers explorer.exe would be at this location:

C:\Windows\explorer.exe

This seems to be the same thing that happens on startup with my laptops.  However, it has done this before I loaded EAM.  It is a small black window, appears to be a DOS prompt window to me, but it appears then disappears within a second.  So fast that I cant even click on it.  Since using EAM, it seems to last for a second or 2 at best.  There seems to be no side effect to it.  I have two HP G62 notebooks and it happens on both of them, although I do not have EAM on the second one.  I have often wondered why that happens but since it seems to have no bearing on my systems or speeds, so I just overlook it.  I figure it to be an insignificant second at startup.  Maybe something within Windows 7.

This seems to be the same thing that happens on startup with my laptops.  However, it has done this before I loaded EAM.  It is a small black window, appears to be a DOS prompt window to me, but it appears then disappears within a second.  So fast that I cant even click on it.  Since using EAM, it seems to last for a second or 2 at best.  There seems to be no side effect to it.  I have two HP G62 notebooks and it happens on both of them, although I do not have EAM on the second one.  I have often wondered why that happens but since it seems to have no bearing on my systems or speeds, so I just overlook it.  I figure it to be an insignificant second at startup.  Maybe something within Windows 7.

This thread is quite old now. Please start your own thread if you have problems with an Emsisoft product.