BearPup7

OA Has No Taskbar Icon

Problem:  No matter how many times I tell OA / System Tray to have the icon appear on my Taskbar, that is ignored and its placed in the System Tray instead. I want it on the taskbar to see its activity.

Specs: OA Version 7.0.0.1866; I'm in the 30 day trial version, which I'll revert back to the freeware version once the trial period is over.

Windows 7 SP 1 x64; 8 GB RAM. I use AVG Internet Security Antivirus, Zemana Anti-keylogger, run both IE 11 and Firefox 26, and of course OA.

There is an unfortunate bug with how Windows handles System Tray icons. When a program tries to draw more than one System Tray icon, Windows will only show one of them in the area next to the clock, and it will hide the rest (Online Armor's graph is the one that always gets hidden).

The only way around this is to disable hiding of icons in the "Notification Area" (which is what Microsoft calls the "System Tray"). In Windows 7 the option is called "Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar".

There is an unfortunate bug with how Windows handles System Tray icons. When a program tries to draw more than one System Tray icon, Windows will only show one of them in the area next to the clock, and it will hide the rest (Online Armor's graph is the one that always gets hidden).

I hate to have to say this but that's not true. I write software for a living and have apps that include several "possible" icons in the tray. Only those the user has indicated as "Show icon and notifications" are displayed when the user logs in. My first guess is that Emsisoft isn't correctly using the uID field in the NOTIFYICONDATA structure.

This is an aggravating behavior since I prefer the square icon that displays activity.

• Upvote 1

My first guess is that Emsisoft isn't correctly using the uID field in the NOTIFYICONDATA structure.

Beside the point that it is against the forum rules to hijack a thread that is almost 6 months old, the uID field is initialized properly. Shell_NotifyIcon is unfortunately one of the more buggy APIs in Windows and has several issues that have been documented and known for years. To name just one of them:

http://www.geoffchappell.com/notes/windows/shell/missingicons.htm

I am glad to hear that the API is working fine in your projects and you never had to deal with tray icon related issues like icon cache corruption or the many race conditions in Shell_NotifyIcon. Unfortunately this isn't the case for a lot of other developers, including us. The last time I spoke with our contacts at Microsoft they recommended using the new GUID option that they introduced in Windows 7. We haven't implemented that option yet, but we will add that option in one of the next Online Armor releases.

Beside the point that it is against the forum rules to hijack a thread that is almost 6 months old

Apologies, new to this forum and thought it was better than starting yet another thread on the subject. It won't happen again, of that you can be assured.

• Upvote 1

Apologies, new to this forum and thought it was better than starting yet another thread on the subject. It won't happen again, of that you can be assured.

No need to apologize. I truly appreciate that you took the time to search for topics similar to your problem first and if this topic was created a week or two ago, nobody would mind it. The biggest issue is that chances are the original thread creator gets a notification about the thread and most likely has no clue what is going on 6 months after he wrapped the topic up in his mind.