Hawkman

a2cmd.exe /update downloading nothing

I have the same problem but on Windows 7.  Is there a license for personal use of a2cmd.exe as part of the EEK?  I am not behind a proxy and have tried both running cmd.exe as Administrator and as a user.  I have this issue on several different machines and I also had the problem on a friend's Windows 8 system.  What am I missing?

G:\EEK\Run>a2cmd.exe /u

Emsisoft Commandline Scanner v. 8.1.0.31
© 2003-2013 Emsisoft - www.emsisoft.com

Update start:      12/30/13 2:38:25 PM

0 KB (100%) of 0 KB downloaded...

Finished!

Update end:        12/30/13 2:38:43 PM
Update time:       0:00:18

There should be no licensing needed for the EEK on non-server versions of Windows. Lets get some logs from Fiddler, and see if it shows the cause of the problem. a2cmd Update

Please download and install Fiddler 2 from the following link (this is the version that requires the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0), and then follow the instructions below:

http://www.getfiddler.com/dl/Fiddler2Setup.exe

1. After installing Fiddler, please open it from the Start Menu.

2. Launch the command prompt

3. Run a2cmd.exe with the following command (while Fiddler is running):

a2cmd.exe /u /proxy=127.0.0.1:8888
4. After the update fails, go back to Fiddler, and to "File", then "Save", and select "All Sessions" (please save it on your desktop).

5. Attach the file you saved from Fiddler to a reply for us to review.

Thank you for the reply.

I ran this on a different computer at a different location (including different ISP) but with the same results.  I have captured the fiddler session but when I attempted to attach it I receive "Error You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file".  I have put it in a zip file which is allowed to be uploaded.

I just realized that your license key was in that log, so I deleted the file. I'm going to need to modify my instructions in the future.

The error message seems to indicate that the server wasn't happy about the license key being used on a computer other than the one it was activated on. I have cleared the mapping history, so it should work now.

GT500,

I tried to run the update again from a different computer but I still receive ...0 KB (100%) of 0 KB downloaded...

Finished!

I downloaded the EEK and unpacked it to my USB drive.  I didn't realize there was a license involved.  Do I need to register the personal license or something first?

What is the license key for the free EEK?  How is it activated? 

I downloaded http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/eek/ and set up EEK on a USB drive and would like to update it before starting a command line scan when I take it to new computers.  I don't see any mention in the documentation related to a license or activation before running the /update parameter.

How do I use EEK from the command line to run an update?

There shouldn't be a key for the free version. Can you extract the Emsisoft Emergency Kit again from the file you downloaded, and see if a fresh copy of it works? If you need to, you can download it again from this link.

I deleted the old EEK from the USB drive, I downloaded a new version of the EEK, extraced it to my USB drive.  I still receive the problem.  You should be able to reproduce this in your lab....

PC 1: Download/Extract EEK to USB drive

PC 2: ran a2cmd.exe /update -> Success

PC 3: Two days later ran a2cmd.exe /update -> 0 KB downloaded

PC 4: Four days later ran a2cmd.exe /update -> 0 KB downloaded

It seems that the first PC where you run the update command is successful.  Any subsequent PCs receive 0 KB.  Please verify.

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any updates.

You might be able to temporarily work around the issue by using the version of A2CMD that is a stand-alone download. You can download it from this link. Please note that it will not be able to update the EEK (only the version of A2CMD bundled with the EEK can do that), but it should be able to download updates on any computer it is run on.

I tried the stand-alone version you linked.  Same problem

PC 1: Download and update successfully

PC 2: A week later ran /update and received 0 KB downloaded

I don't understand why core functionality is not a priority with development.  This would still be a problem even with purchased licenses, correct?  Please set an appropriate expectation for this issue.  If it won't be addressed then I will move to a new vendor.

The last time I checked, the portable A2CMD didn't have issues running an update on more than one PC. I'll let one of our Quality Assurance guys know about this. He night be able to reproduce it in testing.

I can also confirm this same issue.  Using either the standalone a2cmd.zip (from the link in this thread) or the EEK installer itself, it is not possible to run updates on any machine other than the one where the files were originally extracted.  This has been an issue for quite a while.

I have tried this on a variety of windows 7 and 8 machines.  Cannot vouch for vista or xp, though I somehow imagine the result will be similar.  I probably first noticed this issue nearly 6 months ago when I first started using a2cmd.  Has been around since then for sure, across any versions between that time and now.