OA CPU Utilization w/Steamworks Titles

m0unds

Hey,

I figured I'd submit my own thread about the issue w/OA and Steamworks (Steam SDK) titles.

I finally ran into this particular issue myself. In my case, it seems to be caused by the Steam server browser initiating a ton of connections to ping and status check servers to display them in the UI. I noticed the issue because I was connected to a Teamspeak server, and when the server browser loaded in Rust, OA's CPU utilization hit ~25%, latency skyrocketed, then it dropped my TS connection and wouldn't connect til I killed Rust. This isn't a case of saturating my connection, as it was using less than 300kbit/sec worth of bandwidth to perform the server list update.

I engaged debug mode so I could reproduce it for you guys.

https://app.box.com/s/w0ey9ycimjcfy2lqtpkk (logs.7z is the output from debug - the oasrv log was split into 2 files, one 4MB and the other 7MB.)

If you need any other info from me, let me know.

*EDIT* Forgot to mention, I exclude my Steam folder in OA.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi again,

Just a quick update - I found that if I disabled "subfolders" in my steam folder exclusion and allow OA to create a rule for Rust (this specific game title) that CPU utilization of oasrv isn't as terrible. The filtering of connections in/out from the server browser is certainly slower than it is if I shut down OA, but it's not hitting the service so hard that it disconnects other applications.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi again,

Just a quick update - I found that if I disabled "subfolders" in my steam folder exclusion and allow OA to create a rule for Rust (this specific game title) that CPU utilization of oasrv isn't as terrible. The filtering of connections in/out from the server browser is certainly slower than it is if I shut down OA, but it's not hitting the service so hard that it disconnects other applications.

Thanks,

Chris

One more update - I accidentally left OA in learning mode when I launched that specific title, and since, I'm unable to launch the game with OA running or oasrv goes nuts. It was fine up until I forgot to turn off learning mode. Probably gonna remove it until this gets resolved, it's a bit of a hassle to have to shut it down any time I launch a steamworks game of any kind. Hope it gets resolved soon.

OK, I've updated the bug report on this and sent an e-mail to one of our developers.

I take it that the issue isn't limited to Source games, and is happening in games that are based on other engines that also use Steamworks (although the only ones that I can think of off the top of my head have no server browsers such as Gotham City Imposters, Saints Row The Third, and Saints Row IV)?

I just noticed the following file on my computer (and I just verified that that is where Steam's service runs from):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Steam\SteamService.exe
Do you have something similar on yours? You may need to exclude that folder as well, if you want to see if that resolves the issue.

• 2 weeks later...