Sign in to follow this  
allwrappedup

Lastest scan and Virus.Win32.Virut.q!I

Hi, I did a scan last night (see below) and it came up with this virus. A2 seemed to deal with it but it's a bit worrying. Any ideas where it might have come from?

I run Windows XP.

a-squared Free - Version 4.5

Last update: 26/01/2010 23:53:44

Scan settings:

Scan type: Deep Scan

Objects: Memory, Traces, Cookies, C:\, I:\

Scan archives: On

Heuristics: Off

ADS Scan: On

Scan start: 26/01/2010 23:54:00

C:\Documents and Settings\\Cookies\@advertising[2].txt detected: Trace.TrackingCookie.advertising!A2

C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\txye72e8.default\cookies.sqlite:1264515348796000 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie.adsremote!A2

C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\txye72e8.default\cookies.sqlite:1264533404858000 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie.statse.webtrendslive!A2

C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\txye72e8.default\cookies.sqlite:1264533842265000 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie.doubleclick.net!A2

C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\txye72e8.default\cookies.sqlite:1264533852562000 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie.www.googleadservices.com!A2

C:\WINDOWS\system32\xmlinst.exe detected: Virus.Win32.Virut.q!IK

Scanned

Files: 323183

Traces: 770568

Cookies: 448

Processes: 53

Found

Files: 1

Traces: 0

Cookies: 6

Processes: 0

Registry keys: 0

Scan end: 27/01/2010 02:25:50

Scan time: 2:31:50

Hi allwrappedup, welcome to the forum

Cookies are harmless they are not threats and never representing danger

It is recommended to clean temporary file locations and cookies prior to scanning

Please submit xmlinst.exe from the detection list to EMSI developers for analysis in order to find out whether it is False Positive

If you quarantined the file you can submit from quarantine.

The file could be legitimate MS file belonging to Visual Studio

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1e6185d7-e4e4-43b1-8056-0e5ecd15a88a&DisplayLang=en

It is not flagged here with the latest signatures, therefore it is necessary to find out.

If your are suspecting that your system is infected; it's misbehaving and/or you want to investigate the matter

=======

Read the following instructions

START HERE, if you don't we are just going to send you back to this thread <--click

Prepare and post (attach) the required log files into Malware Removal section of the forum

(create new thread there)

Wait for reply from ShadowPuterDude, Katana, or JeanInMontana

for assistance and further instructions.

=======

Translation Links for Forum Instructions

My regards

P.S. next time please don't in-line post reports – attach them plus provide information about your System Environment as in Forum Posting Rules