Sign in to follow this  
pc2d

CLOSED Update error blocks internet access

Hello,

Firslty, thank you for your products.

Since Avast update last December to 2014 version, I experience issues with OA bloquing randomly internet access. Message seen on OA status page, in the update area is close to "host unfindable, socket error #11001" (translation from French). Re-start is needed every times it happens until OA updates are successful. Several re-starts are sometimes needed. In the worst case, the PC is totally bloqued.

Enclosed yesterday log files, the last time I experienced this issue.

Config Windows XP family SP3

Free Antivirus Avast 2014.9xxx

with oacat, oahlp, oasrv and oaui processes excluded in Avast

Free OA 7.0.xxx downloaded from your site

with avastsvc and avastui excluded in OA

No other security applications active. Free Malwarebytes AM 1.75.xxx installed (scan on demand only in the free version)

Thanks beforehand for your support.

Logs.rar

I see you mentioned excluding avastsvc and avastui. Have you added the entire avast! folder to the Exclusions in Online Armor's Options? It should be C:\Program Files\AVAST Software and then select the option to include subfolders after adding the exclusion.

Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

Yes I have. C:\Program Files\AVAST Software is added to the exclusions and the subfolder option is ticked

Anyother idea?

In the mean time, I switched OA to English so that you have the exact message copied from history log:

Automatic Update failed,19/01/2014 13:08:06,None,"OA: Cannot process online updates. Please check the internet connection settings or contact the support., , Socket Error # 11001, Host not found." 

The connection seems ok as in the mean time, Avast connection is status is "connected", it downloaded and installed up to date files.

Anyother idea?

While waiting for an official reply, you might try adding to Avast's Global Exclusions all the following OA's folders (or the equivalents):

C:\Programs Files\Online Armor

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\OnlineArmor

C:\Documents and Settings\(user name)\\Application Data\OnlineArmor

Also, try adding to OA's exclusions all the following Avast's folders:

C:\Program File\AVAST Software

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software

C:\Documents and Settings\(user name)\Application Data\AVAST Software

You have to reboot the system to apply the changes (especially for Avast's).

Don't forget to include also the subfolders.

Hello,

Thanks for you answer.

Today's connection was fine, Murphy's law ? :mellow:

Anyway, I followed your proposal:

In Avast file Agent, as I couldn't find a Global Exclusions as you mention, I added "C:\Documents and Settings\*\Application Data\OnlineArmor"

("C:\Programs Files\Online Armor" was already added)

I used a * rather than all 6x accounts I have on my PC.

For information, in the Avast web agent, OA processes are already added to the exclusions (oasrv.exe...)

In OA options\exclusions, I added 7x "C:\Documents and Settings\xxx\Application Data\AVAST Software" for the 6x accounts plus All users one. I couldn't manage to use a *. Subfolders are ticked included. ("C:\Program File\AVAST Software" was already added)

I'll let you know whether this random update issue blocks internet access in the coming days with these new settings.

You're welcome. Glad to hear it is working now.

It seems like you are running an old version of Avast - recent versions (9.x) have a Global Exclusion option where you can add locations that would be ignored by all the shields - not just the File System shield. Unfortunately, many users have experienced problems after upgrading to the latest versions -  just in case, I suggest that you check the official Avast Support Forum before proceeding with an upgrade (anyway, it's advisable to upgrade your AV to the latest version).

I'm glad to hear that things are better.

I forgot to mention to restart your computer after adding exclusions (they won't apply until you do). Could that be why it suddenly started working?

After 1 week of test, the issue unfortunately re-occurs, yet randomly but at a lower frequency. To answer your points:

I re-start indeed the computer after any change.

I feel that I have the up to date Free Avast version (2014 v9.0.2013 released yesterday) where I can't find the global exclusion you're referring to. May the global exclusion feature limited to the Pro suite?

1 month ago, I checked on the avast forum that earlier versions than 2014 v9.0.2011 had issues (that I experienced). Since this update to 2014 v9.0.2011, avast issues are fixed but I experience issues with oa...

I feel that I have the up to date Free Avast version (2014 v9.0.2013 released yesterday) where I can't find the global exclusion you're referring to

Go to: Settings/Antivirus.

Scroll down to: Exclusions/File Paths.

Those are the Global Exclusions - they renamed it, sorry.

No problem, now I understand. Thanks for the correction

I now added C:\Programs Files\Online Armor
and C:\Documents and Settings\*\Application Data\OnlineArmor

to the Settings/Antivirus\Exclusions/File Paths. I'll let you know within a week whether the issue is totally solved.

Unfortunately, the problem re-occured last Sat, bloquing all connections (including Avast one) and finally bloquing the whole PC.

I uninstalled Online Armor to switch to Win XP home firewall. I'll let you know within a week the results

I've spoken with one of our developers about the issues with avast!, and they believe that it is a bug in avast! that they will need to fix.

they believe that it is a bug in avast! that they will need to fix.

One of many, unfortunately - at least, according to my own experience with the  latest  Avast builds on XP...

Arthur, do you know if they have reported this particular bug to the Avast Team?

Arthur, do you know if they have reported this particular bug to the Avast Team?

I was not specifically told if they had. It might be faster if you guys ask Avast support if they are aware of the issue than for me to ask Andrey if he has reported this to Avast, and Avast support may have some ideas for debugging the issue as well.

Dear all,

Please accept my apologies for wrongly incriminating On Line Armor. I discovered I'm fully responsible of the issue.

Avast isn't responsible either as explained in Jan 19 reply above. To doublecheck this, I uninstalled totally Avast last week and the internet access was still randomly blocked.

The root cause was my DNS setting within TCP/IP protocol. I didn't notice that ClearCloudDNS service that I was using since several years had been discontinued and no longer available for consumer use.

IP and DNS parameters set back to Automatic, the internet connection is now totally operational and even faster than before.

Sorry for any inconvenience.