OPTIMAL DRIVE FOR EAM/OA

I am preparing to re-install EAM and OA on a new system.  The system's data storage capability consists of one Solid State Drive (256GB) and two 2TB Internal Disk Hard Drives.  The Operating System [Windows 7 (x64)] is installed on the SSD, designated "Local Disk ©".   I am innterested in minimizing system bootup time (without undue risk to system security) .  I have the option of installing EAM & OA either on the SSD or on one of the two 2TB Internal HDDs (along with all the other non-OS software).  Suggestions/recommendations ??

With the frequent updates, it might not be best to put them on the SSD. They would certainly load faster, but anything that writes to the disk frequently reduces the lifespan of the SSD. Most SSD's these days automatically try to compensate for that by spreading data out across the disk to reduce the number of writes to each cell, but it doesn't completely eliminate the issue of each cell only having a limited number of writes that it can handle.

Theoretically the SSD will still last for several years, so if you haven't already lost it due to something else, then you could end up replacing it by then anyway just to upgrade.

Of course, Emsisoft Anti-Malware requires a command line parameter to tell it to install somewhere other than on the same hard drive Windows is installed on, so unless you want to launch it from the Command Prompt then you won't be presented with an option to change where it installs.

GT500, thank you for the reply. Yes, I am a bit concerned about the frequent read/writes invovled with EAM & OA. However, I'm not sure I understand your third paragraph.

EAM was my first install, and I was not offered a choice regarding which drive I wanted it on -- the installer just put it on the C-Drive.  Now, when it came to OA, I was 

offered a choice, but decided to put it on the same drive as EAM (the SSD) just to "keep them together".  

Did I miss the a chance to put EAM on another drive (via a "command line parameter")?  And, if I were to do that somehow, wouldn't "launching it from the Command Prompt" take 

away the advantage of having it automatically launched at bootup?

Thanks for you patience!

... I'm not sure I understand your third paragraph.

EAM doesn't ask you were to install, so to change where it installs to you have to launch it from the Command Prompt (used to be referred to as the "DOS Prompt") with a parameter that tells it where you want it to install to.

Did I miss the a chance to put EAM on another drive (via a "command line parameter")?  And, if I were to do that somehow, wouldn't "launching it from the Command Prompt" take 

away the advantage of having it automatically launched at bootup?

If you already installed it, then you would have to uninstall it and possibly run Emsiclean to completely remove it before installing it to another location.

It should run in startup regardless of where you install it, unless you put it on some sort of external hard drive that isn't connected while Windows is starting. I haven't personally tested running it from a drive other than the one Windows is installed on, however I see no reason why it shouldn't work fine.

I haven't personally tested running it from a drive other than the one Windows is installed on, however I see no reason why it shouldn't work fine.

I have had EAM installed on another partition than the O/S for years, and there is no problem, everything works normally.

Did I miss the a chance to put EAM on another drive (via a "command line parameter")?  

And, if I were to do that somehow, wouldn't "launching it from the Command Prompt" take away the advantage of having it automatically launched at bootup?

You use the commandline during the installation, to fx. install EAM on another partion and / or folder than standard.

A few examples

"D:\Programs\EAM"

"E:\Program Files\Emsisoft"

After installation EAM works "normally, it starts at bootup, and you click on the normal icon on the Desktop, start EAM via startmenu etc.

Personally, I have had EAM installed on another partition than the O/S for years, and there is no problem, everything works normally.

Yes, I did misunderstand a few things!!  I'm familiar with the "command/DOS Prompt" and "command line parameters" but, I didn't pickup

on the fact that I need to "launch" the EAM installer from the Windows "Search Box", once I have first entered "cmd" to get the old

"DOS Prompt"!  I have downloaded  and saved the EAM installer, which I "launch" by double clicking it.  But, how do I "launch it" from

the DOS Prompt?  Hackerman's post refers to using the command line "during the installation" -- after I have double-clicked on the 

installer. Seems I'm having difficulty "connecting the dots" here!  (Sorry guys!)

Also, how do I go about getting "Emsiclean"??

Try the following:

• Click on the Start button.
  • Go to All Programs.
  • Go to Accessories.
  • Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
  • Assuming the Emsisoft Anti-Malware installer is saved on your desktop, type in the following command to navigate to your desktop (followed by pressing the Enter key on your keyboard):

cd %USERPROFILE%\Desktop
  • Now run the installer by typing in the following command (once again followed by pressing Enter):

EmsisoftAntiMalwareSetup.exe /DIR="D:\Emsisoft Anti-Malware"
Of course, the path D:\Emsisoft Anti-Malware is just an example, and you can use whatever you want. ;)

GT500 -- Greetings. I'm embarrased!  I did respond to your last Post (7Feb14) but, must have done something wrong inthat it was

never "posted"!!  Since then, I've been "waiting for your response" -- I've  checked the Forum but, didn't recognize the fact 

that my last Post was missing!!

Your insrtuctions on how to launch the EAM installer from the "Command Prompt" are clear.  Thank you, "things" are falling into place now!

One other thing.  As you suggested,  after I un-install EAM from the the C-Drive, and before I re-installed it on the "D", I'd like to 

run Emsiclean to be sure the un-install is complete.  Please send me the link for getting Emsiclean and instructions for using it.

I'd like to move Online Armor to the D-Drive as well.  Is it also advisable to run Emsiclean after un-installing OA?

Again, thanks for you patience. :-)

run Emsiclean to be sure the un-install is complete.  Please send me the link for getting Emsiclean and instructions for using it.

Please download Emsiclean from this link (be sure to save it on your desktop), and follow the instructions below to get me a log:

• Run the Emsiclean download that you saved on your desktop.
  • Read the disclaimer. Note that you must agree to it in order to proceed.
  • Once the scan is finished, simply exit Emsiclean, and do not remove anything.
  • A new file will be saved on your desktop with a log of what was detected. Please attach that to a reply by using the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply.

I'd like to move Online Armor to the D-Drive as well.  Is it also advisable to run Emsiclean after un-installing OA?

That's not necessary for Online Armor. Just restart your computer twice after uninstalling, and everything should be removed.

post-9383-0-67226100-1392153857_thumb.pngDT500 --  OK so far . . . I think.    I downloaded Emsicleaner to my Desktop.   Then,  I closed Eam8 (All Guards)  and  ran the EAM8 Un-Installer.   Then, I ran Emsicleaner -- it seemed to "run" in a flash.  An Object/Type listing came up on the screen, with only one of two "Objects" checked.  (Ref the attached screen-capture.)

I assumed the run was "complete" as far as you wanted since a "Close Emsicleaner" button was in the lower-right corner of this listing.

Per your instructions, I have also attached the Emsicleaner Log that appeared on my Desktop when I closed the cleaner.

I'll await your "OK" to proceed with the re-installation of EAM8 on my D-Drive.

post-9383-0-67226100-1392153857_thumb.png

EmsiClean_2014.02.11_13.44.58.txt

That log shows that it is safe to use Emsiclean to remove Emsisoft Anti-Malware. Please run Emsiclean again, making sure to select everything in the list, and then click the button to remove selected items. Please be sure to allow your computer to be restarted after doing this.

GT500 - Thank you for the go-ahead for running Emsicleaner.  Shortly after sending you my last Post, I lost   access to my Internet Provider -- the Network Adapter port on the new computer (where I was doing the uninstall and moving EAM to another drive) malfunctioned.  So, this un-install/re-install project will be temporarily delayed until I can get the internet-access issue fixed.   :unsure:

I'll let you know how the "move" turns out.

Best Regards

GT500 --   SUCCESS!!    Both in uninstalling remaining EAM files from C:\  using Emsiclean,  AND  re-installing EAM on D:\  (using the DOS command prompt to "direct" the installer to the "other-than-default" drive)!  

Thank you for sticking with me on this (and introducing me to using  "command prompt"  to control program installations).   :) 

Best Regards.