Sign in to follow this  
trujwin

CLOSED Windows operation CLOSE , MINIMISE etc slowed down in XP

Recommended Posts

It is nearly 2 months since I installed the latest OA in my XP SP 3.Most of the times the applications windows (CLOSE , MAXIMISE etc or a simple OK or cancel) seem slow to react and works only on two or more clicks. This is the situation only after I installed the new OA. For a few times  I tested the difference in the responsiveness with OA closed and running and can confirm that OA is causing the apparent delay perhaps due to some hooks it places by Keylogger or Screen logger feature.

 

Seems like only I am going thru this issue as no other XP user has reported it.... Any way this was for information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to your forum profile, you use avast! Anti-Virus? If this is correct, then you will need to add exclusions for them to work OK together. Here are some instructions for adding a folder to the Exclusions list in Online Armor:

  • Click on the Start button, go to All Programs, go to Online Armor, and click on the Online Armor icon to open it.
  • Click on Options in the menu on the left.
  • Go to the Exclusions tab.
  • Click on the Add button.
  • Use the little [+] and [-] icons to the left of folder names to open and close them, find the folder you want to add, click on it to highlight it, and then click OK at the bottom.
  • Close the Online Armor window.
The folder for avast! should be something like C:\Program Files\Avast, and you may want to add the folder that's inside of that rather than adding that folder itself.

I don't know exactly where the settings for exclusions are in avast!, however this forum post may be helpful in finding it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know exactly where the settings for exclusions are in avast!, however this forum post may be helpful in finding it.

 

 

Hello there,

Just in case, fell free to ask and I'll post more details about the exclusions in Avast AV.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I take it that you have an old Online Armor installation that was updated to version 7? I would believe the installation directory has defaulted to C:\Program Files\Online Armor since Emsisoft took it over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I take it that you have an old Online Armor installation that was updated to version 7? I would believe the installation directory has defaulted to C:\Program Files\Online Armor since Emsisoft took it over.

Yes. It is true , but if you look carefully it is c:\PF\Tallemu. But about the second info , I tried installing to a separate folder as such a feature is available with OA.But OA will  not function properly and had to be left to its default choice to bring in some semblance of normalcy.I have reported it  here . I think that should form part of some bug report.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are we certain that the issue is a bug in Online Armor, and not caused by a recent update to avast! (at least there have been several recent reports by avast! users of issues with OA)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are we certain that the issue is a bug in Online Armor, and not caused by a recent update to avast! (at least there have been several recent reports by avast! users of issues with OA)?

The issue of OA totally malfunctioning if forced to install to a particular folder (user decided -atleast in the present environment) , would seem to be a problem with OA only.If OA is allowed to choose its default folder , it seems to function well , except ofcourse the problem which I am reporting now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you installed OA in the default location, wouldn't that mean it's in "C:\Program Files\Online Armor"? Your exclusions in avast! were for "C:\Program Files\Tall Emu".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you installed OA in the default location, wouldn't that mean it's in "C:\Program Files\Online Armor"? Your exclusions in avast! were for "C:\Program Files\Tall Emu".

Yes Online Armor installs itself to C:\Program Files\Tall Emu\Online Armor , because an earlier version existed there. Earlier I tried to force install into a new folder "C:\Program Files\Online Armor" but the program runs haywire (the discussions link I gave in my last post). I have attached a snap from PE showing the exact location of Oasrv.

 

post-8159-0-47345400-1392305407_thumb.gif
Download Image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you tried uninstalling Online Armor, restarting the computer a couple of times, then deleting the Online Armor folder, and then deleting the following registry keys before restarting and reinstalling again?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Online Armor
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\OnlineArmor
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\OAcat
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\OADevice
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\oahlpXX
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\OAmon
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\OAnet
If you're worried about hurting anything, then create a System Restore Point before deleting the registry entries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.