bkulish

Online Armor brand new version.. Web Shield remains off

Hi,

I only have Emsisoft anti-malware and Armor installed.

I have followed several steps here by regardless the Web Shield remains off.

I am running 8.1 Windows.

Thank you,

Bill

Lets check and see if the services Online Armor uses are all running. I have attached a ZIP archive to this message called "check_oa_services.zip" which contains a batch file with the same name. Please follow these instructions to run that batch file:

check_oa_services.zip

1. Save the check_oa_services file on your desktop.

2. Extract the check_oa_services file.

3. Run the batch file that was inside it (if you are using Windows 8, Windows 7, or Vista please right-click on it and select to Run as administrator).

4. When it is done, attach the file C:\oa_service_status_log to a reply for me to review.

I tried to uninstall it and reinstall but it states uninstall file missing?

Do you have a tool that will allow this without getting rid of Emsisoft ANTI-MALWARE

I have paid licenses for both

Hi Sheep,

And thanks for the tip.

To clarify, you are suggesting I simply reinstall and nothing else?

Do not turn it off or anything else sir?

Thanks again.

Bill

You mentioned that you cannot uninstall OA because the uninstaller is missing.

If you install OA again over the top of the OA you already have it should put the uninstaller back for you. If it asks you to turn it off first then just agree to do it.

If after that you find OA is still not showing the web shield, you should be able to uninstall completely and try a brand new install :)

Try starting your computer in Safe Mode With Networking and then reinstall Online Armor. Here's a link to instructions on how to start your computer in Safe Mode With Networking.

Sometimes the webshield is getting turned off cause of the windows firewall, i am not sure if this will work for you but go ahead and try.

to to windows firewall setting and restore windows firewall to default and see if that helps!

Try the following, and let me know what the result is:

• Hold down the Ctrl key on your keyboard, and tap R to open the Run dialog.
  • Type cmd into the field and click OK.
  • Type in echo %homedrive% and then press Enter on your keyboard.
Let me know what it tells you. I expect C: to be what it says, but it may say something different.

When you ran the check_oa_services batch file, did you right-click on it and select to "Run as Administrator"?

What's challenging is that I have a second system with 8.1 and have no issues. I am sure one of the members will figure something out. Would be sad if I had to have to use Armor on two of my three computers and another on this one. Have you ever had support from a competitors firewall like Trend, log on your system via logmein123?

Is this normal?

TERMSERVICE

SERVICE_NAME: termservice 
        TYPE               : 20  WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS  
        STATE              : 1  STOPPED 
        WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 1077  (0x435)
        SERVICE_EXIT_CODE  : 0  (0x0)
        CHECKPOINT         : 0x0
        WAIT_HINT          : 0x0

it was in the log.

Online Armor actually requires termservice, as does Emsisoft Anti-Malware, so it should be running. Try the following:

• Right-click on the 'Start' button (or whatever they replaced it with in Windows 8/8.1).
  • Select Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.
  • Type in the following command, and then press Enter on your keyboard:

sc config TermService start= auto
  • If that command runs without errors, then restart your computer and see if the issue is resolved.

Hmm

If it is suppose to be running it is off on my other two computers and everything is working on them.

I will however try your idea and let you know.

Does this create any type of security risk whatsoever?

Okay, I enabled the above..ran your status prog again and all dependent services are running.

Tried uninstall tab in firewall properties..no luck.

Tried turning off hips then back on...still no web shield.

Happy to try another step.

Bill

Can you tell me why your team needs the remote access service running please?

We do not actually need the Remote Desktop functions of termservice. It performs other functions that Online Armor needs. You can keep the Remote Desktop port blocked in the firewall, and please also note that remote control of your computer only works if configured. You can find more information from Microsoft about how the remote access features function at this link.

We'll probably need some logs to see what the problem is. Please open Online Armor, go to Options in the menu on the left, click the little check box to enable debug mode, restart your computer, and then try reproducing your problem with not being able to start the Web Shield. After that, please ZIP your entire logs folder (normally C:\Program Files\Online Armor\Logs), upload it to a website such as RapidShare/DepositFiles/BayFiles/etc (which one you use is up to you), and then copy and paste the link to download the file into a reply (or you can send it to me in a Private Message if you don't want the link posted publicly on the forums). Note that, if you don't have a utility such as 7-Zip, WinZip, or WinRar that you can ZIP files and folders by right-clicking on them, going to Send To, and clicking on Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Note that RapidShare and BayFiles have been having issues lately, and we may not be able to download the files from them. If you have DropBox, Google Cloud Storage, or Microsoft SkyDrive then those services would be more reliable. Also, you can attach files to private messages on these forums, and I would believe the limit is up to 128MB, so if the file is smaller than 128MB then you can just attach it to a private message to me on these forums.

The log file is encrypted so that only our developer who is primarily responsible for maintaining Online Armor can read them. This is done to ensure that no one can read the logs if they get posted in a public section of the forums, just in case the logs contain any data you don't want other people to know.