Aeolis

After Emsisoft update 8.1.0.40 system Hangs at Boot

Hello folks,

Here is my bug report.

The problem: After Emsisoft Anti-Malware recently updated to version 8.1.0.40 my system hangs during the boot process. The boot process proceeds as follows: the Widows 7 explorer shell loads then the Emsisoft Anti-Malware tray icons shows up after that the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware tray icon shows up then the system hangs. After that only a hard restart can reboot the system, but the process happens again and the system hangs again.

How did I fix the problem: I have booted my system using Safe Mode after that I had Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware real time protection disabled then I rebooted and the system is able to start normally again.

System and real time applications:

- Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bits (fully updated);

- Emsisoft Anti-Malware 8.1.0.40

- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.75.0.1300

- Comodo Firewall 6.3.302093.2976

- Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.3.514

I hope it helps you to solve this conflict between Emsisoft and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

Best regards,

Aeolis

Lets add process exclusions for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware:

• Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware from the icon on the desktop.
  • Click Guard in the menu on the left.
  • Go to the File Guard tab.
  • In the lower-left corner, just above Alerts, click on the Manage whitelist link.
  • In the box under Type click the little down arrow and change it from File to Process (you may need to click in the box for the arrow appear).
  • Click in the white box below Item to make a button with three dots (...) appear, and then click the ... button.
  • Navigate to the directory where the files you wish to exclude are located, and double-click on one of them to add it.
  • Repeat the last 3 steps as needed to add each file to the exclusions list.
  • Click the OK button at the bottom when done, and close Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
The Malwarebytes Anti-Malware folder should be C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and these are the files you should add as process exclusions:
  • mbam.exe
  • mbamgui.exe
  • mbamservice.exe
After that, open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and do the following:
  • Click on the Ignore List tab.
  • Click the Add button in the lower-left.
  • Using the little [+] and [-] buttons to open and close folders, go to C:\Program Files (x86) and click on the Emsisoft Anti-Malware folder, then click OK.
After that you can set Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to run on startup again, and then restart your computer.

Hello folks,

Dear GT500 I did what you instructed me and now the system can boot. I had Malwarebytes Anti-Malware files in the Emsisoft whitelist, but I forgot to add Emsisoft Anti-Malware files in Malwarebytes' ignore list. So, that did the trick.

Although the main problem seems to be fixed by now I would like to report that even with mutual exclusions the boot now is much slower than before (and I use a SSD). So, there is still some sort of interaction between both applications which leads me to think it would be a good idea to your team to check them for some sort of conflict.

Best regards,

Aeolis

I'd like to weigh in here... the "boot time is slower" issue has nothing to do with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. I recently did a full format of my PC, restored it with the original image that I made after arriving home with the PC. I performed all the Windows updates along with other driver updates. The boot time was incredibly fast.

The first application I installed afterwards was Emsisoft Anti-Malware. This is when the black screen hang-time started (black/blank screen between Starting Windows and Windows Logon). I think all was fine with EAM v7, it started happening when v8 came around. Not really fussed, what's 8-12 seconds of my life, just wanted to remove MBAM as the cause of it.

Aeolis, our developers are looking into this, and I've talked with Samuel Lindsey (Product Manager at Malwarebytes) and Ron Lewis (Forum Community Manager at Malwarebytes) about this and I will make sure that they have anything they need in order to test this.

Could you let me know if you had Beta Updates enabled in Emsisoft Anti-Malware?

Also, you mentioned having COMODO Firewall and Zemana AntiLogger installed. Did you try disabling either of those from starting up to see if your performance issue after adding exclusions were resolved (or at least any better)?

Hello folks,

Dear GT500 thank very much for your attention. The option "Use beta updates" under "Online Update" is always off in my system, I always download only stable updates. And Yes I have uninstalled both software (COMODO Firewall and Zemana AntiLogger) and the problem persists.

Best regards,

Aeolis

Does that performance issue get better if you set either Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or Emsisoft Anti-Malware to not run at startup, and then reboot?

Hello folks,

Dear GT500 if I disable Emsisoft Anti-Malware automatic start up the boot speed gets better, but when I disable Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware automatic start up the speed difference is negligible.

Best regards,

Aeolis

OK, then it does sound like Emsisoft Anti-Malware is the cause of the performance issue. Lets get some debug logs from Emsisoft Anti-Malware. In order to do this, you will first need to run a batch file to enable debug logging. This batch file is contained in the ZIP archive at the this link (this ZIP archive also contains a batch file to disable debug logging).

Please save that ZIP archive on your desktop, extract its contents, and then follow these instructions:

• Run the enable_debug_output batch file (if your computer has Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 then please right-click on the batch file and select Run as administrator).
  • You will see a black window pop up, and then disappear very quickly. After that happens, please restart your computer.
  • After startup has finished and all startup programs appear to have finished loading, hold down the Windows key on the keyboard (the one with the Windows logo on it, usually in between the Ctrl and Alt keys) and tap the R key to open the Run dialog.
  • Type the following into the Run dialog, and then click OK:

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Emsisoft
  • A window should open and you should see a Logs folder. Right-click on that Logs folder, go to Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder.
  • Move the new ZIP archive you created with the logs folder in it to your desktop.
  • Attach the ZIP archive containing the logs to a reply by using the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply.
Note: If you get an error message when trying to send the Logs folder to a Compressed (zipped) folder then you may need to try a utility such as 7-Zip or WinRar to compress the folder. Both 7-Zip and WinRar have options to create an archive and save it in another location (such as on your desktop), which should prevent the error message. Here are links to the download pages for 7-Zip and WinRar.

After posting the debug logs, you can run the disable_debug_output batch file (be sure to run it as administrator as well) and restart your computer again to disable debug logging.

I know this comment is off topic, but I thought I'd ask the leader of Emsisoft :)

How's Windows 8.1 treating you? Have you been using it for long? Apart from the user interface side of things, are there much differences? (eg: newer versions of Direct-X, IE etc...)

I am not the leader of Emsisoft ;). But Windows 8.1 works well for me. I even like the Metro UI. There are no ground breaking differences between Windows 8.1 and Windows 7. However, a lot of smaller things have been improved. Boot times for example, or a lot of the file management dialogs like file copying etc..