Update hangs

ertan

I have 8.1.0.40 version. I recognize the animating update icon for a while. I thought I see it while updating. I recently realize that update is hang on 28th of Feb at 18:51. I did not receive any update since. If I manually hit update now button, I read following and everything stops there:

---------------
Downloading update information...

Downloading Signature update...
Malware signatures (emalware.i19)

Malware signatures (emalware.000)

Malware signatures (emalware.i17)

Malware signatures (emalware.i72)

Malware signatures (emalware.i02)

Malware signatures (emalware.i66)

Malware signatures (cevakrnl.rv5)

Malware signatures (e_spyw.i10)

Malware signatures (emalware.529)

Malware signatures (emalware.i79)

Malware signatures (emalware.i67)

Malware signatures (update.txt)

13600 Signatures: 547 Trojans, 8 Spywares, 4 Worms, 13041 Traces

Downloading Hosts blacklist...
Host blocker blacklist

2356 Signatures: 2342 Trojans, 14 Spywares

2908 Signatures: 2864 Trojans, 40 Spywares, 4 Worms

4196 Signatures: 4133 Trojans, 7 Spywares, 4 Worms, 52 Traces

Downloading Slovenian (Slovenski)...
Language Support

1425 Signatures: 1370 Trojans, 12 Spywares, 4 Worms, 39 Traces

Downloading Japanese...
Language Support

Downloading Japanese Help...
Japanese online help file

Downloading Whitelist signatures...
Signatures for known good applications

Downloading Trust check signatures...
Signatures to verify digitally signed files

212 Signatures: 1 Spyware, 188 Trojans, 23 Traces

3999 Signatures: 3999 Traces

Malware signatures (emalware.i02)

13600 Signatures: 547 Trojans, 8 Spywares, 4 Worms, 13041 Traces

Downloading Hosts blacklist...
Host blocker blacklist

212 Signatures: 1 Spyware, 188 Trojans, 23 Traces
---------------

Lets get a log from Fiddler, and see if it shows the cause of the issue. Please download and install Fiddler 2 from this link (this is the version that requires the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0), and then follow the instructions below:

• After installing Fiddler, please open it from the Start Menu.
  • Launch Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  • Go to Configuration in the menu on the left.
  • Select the Update Settings tab.
  • Click on the Connection settings link in the lower-right corner.
  • Check the box that says Use proxy server.
  • Enter localhost in the Proxy server field, and then enter 8888 in the port field.
  • Click 'OK'.
  • Go back to the Menu on the left, and select Security Status.
  • Click on the Update Now button to start the update (Fiddler must be running when you do this).
  • After the update fails, go back to Fiddler, and to File, then Save, and select All Sessions (please save it on your desktop).
  • Please send me the Fiddler log in a Private Message (do not post in in a reply).
Note that you may need to ZIP the log to be able to attach it to a Private Message. If you don't have a utility such as 7-Zip, WinZip, or WinRar that you can ZIP files and folders by right-clicking on them, going to Send To, and clicking on Compressed (zipped) Folder.

The Fiddler log didn't contain any information from Emsisoft Anti-Malware. Lets try running the update while Windows is running in Safe Mode With Networking. There's more than one way to get into Safe Mode With Networking in Windows 8, so here's a link to an article about one way, and if you prefer then here's a link to another article describing another method.

I am in safe mode while writing this message.

There is no problem on my Internet connection. But, EAM is not updating itself. Attached is a screen capture where it hangs. I have waited longer than 15 minutes. No error message so far.

Edit: I included a "normal start" update screen to show where it hangs.

post-28801-0-62533700-1395224652_thumb.jpg

post-28801-0-28296700-1395225219_thumb.jpg

Lets get some debug logs from Emsisoft Anti-Malware (you can restart your computer normally, as Safe Mode is not needed for this). In order to do this, you will first need to run a batch file to enable debug logging. This batch file is contained in the ZIP archive at the this link (this ZIP archive also contains a batch file to disable debug logging).

Please save that ZIP archive on your desktop, extract its contents, and then follow these instructions:

• Run the enable_debug_output batch file (if your computer has Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 then please right-click on the batch file and select Run as administrator).
  • You will see a black window pop up, and then disappear very quickly. After that happens, please restart your computer.
  • Run an update and wait for it to stop downloading.
  • Once you have reproduced the issue, hold down the Windows key on the keyboard (the one with the Windows logo on it, usually in between the Ctrl and Alt keys) and tap the R key to open the Run dialog.
  • Type the following into the Run dialog, and then click OK:

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Emsisoft
  • A window should open and you should see a Logs folder. Right-click on that Logs folder, go to Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder.
  • Move the new ZIP archive you created with the logs folder in it to your desktop.
  • Attach the ZIP archive containing the logs to a reply by using the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply.
Note: If you get an error message when trying to send the Logs folder to a Compressed (zipped) folder then you may need to try a utility such as 7-Zip or WinRar to compress the folder. Both 7-Zip and WinRar have options to create an archive and save it in another location (such as on your desktop), which should prevent the error message. Here are links to the download pages for 7-Zip and WinRar.

After posting the debug logs, you can run the disable_debug_output batch file (be sure to run it as administrator as well) and restart your computer again to disable debug logging.

I hope attached files will do. I had difficulties making them RAR file. I got error messages saying they are being used and cannot be archived. I could manage after a reboot.

I never get any error messages. Just update stops and do not do anything after that.

Logs.rar

I checked connection settings and see that I did not reverse settings we did for Fiddler. I was not using any kind of proxy before though. Now I cleared proxy check box, will reboot and see. If there is still a problem, I will send another debug log.

Edit: I have Oracle VM VirtualBox installed. This software added a VirtualBox Host-Only Network. However, no problem on my browsing or downloading with JDownloader and Internet Download Manager.

Thing is, I turn my computer on. Spend more than an hour on it. Check update status on tray icon. I read it is updated recently. When I manually try to update it hangs on same file I send screen shot above.

I believe I can arrange a remote access via teamviewer. If your developers are interested you can pm me.

I can take a look at the issue via TeamViewer if you want. What days and times work for you? I'm on U.S. Eastern Time, so if you're in another Time Zone or do not observe DST then let me know. Also, it's generally best to schedule a remote session at least 1 day in advance.