Sign in to follow this  
puer

a-squared & OnlineArmor++

Hi,

I had Asquared 4.5 installed together Online Armor Prem (and Kaspersky AV) and it all ran like a champ. Now I thought Online Armor++ combined all the features of Asquared 4.5 and OA Prem, so I uninstalled the last two and replaced them with Online Armor++. However, I have got a nagging feeling that I misjudged the character of OnlineArmor++. So, my question is: can I reinstall Asquared 4.5 alongside OA++, will that add security, or will that cause problems?

Hi puer, welcome to the forum

Please provide detailed infirmation about the System Environment

as in Posting Rules #2) in the 1st place, so we can answer this or further question

OA++ should contain a2 as an Antvirus / Surf Protection and Behavioural Blocker solution. It's a bundle since two companies are cooperating & working together, so your question about reinstalling "alogside" is not very clear

My regards

In addition to what Lynx wrote, don't forget to make sure that OA and A2 both contain rules that exclude monitoring of each other after you reinstall.

There have been some problems in the past where not setting these rules has resulted in unpredictable behaviour.

~ Whole Quotation Removed {Lynx}

My apologies. My configuration contains: XP SP3, 2 Gb RAM, Intel N230 Atom, 120 Gb HDD. Zemana Antilogger, Kaspersky AV and until yesterday OnlineArmor Prem and Asquared 4. No problems.

I then replaced OAP and Asquared with OA++. Still no problems, apart that I cannot find a number of features that were present in Asquared, but not now in OA++, such as a customized scan option. Also the GUI is very minimalistic now and in truth I love(d) the Asquared GUI. So, my question is: Does OnlineArmor++ include all the very same functional features as I had before with OAPrem and Asquared?

If it does not have all the same features, then my question is: can I use both OA++ and Asquared?

I hope my question is clear now.

puer,

No apology needed.

please consider what H_D pointed out regarding mutual exclusions (ask if you have questions)

Other than that all should work fine unless you are not using x64 platform, which you did not mention

OA is not supporting x64 yet (it's under development) and a2 will have all functionality available (malware IDS & Surf Protection for x64) since the beta v5 testing will go public very soon

My regards

P.S. Be sure that Kaspersky is properly uninstalled (with no leftovers)

My personal opinion - Zemana is not necessary at all if you have a-squared

Does OnlineArmor++ include all the very same functional features as I had before with OAPrem and Asquared?

No, for example OA doesn't have IDS as it has its own HIPS:

http://support.tallemu.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=11674

Currently I'm running OA Premium with A2 AntiMalware and I'm thinking on what to do as well: replace them both by just OA++, or run both OA++ and A2 AntiMalware together?

The latter seems overkill though: running the same engine twice... (OA++ uses A2's engine)

Hi XIII,

I am confused by what you are saying.

You can get the OA Premim and then install a2 Anti-Malware as a separate product

If you are purchasing OA++ you have that as a bundle

Here is a comparative table

So what do you mean by "or run both OA++ and A2 AntiMalware together?"

You certainly will run OA & A-M and that' called "OA++"

Am I missing something?

Cheers!

make sure that OA and A2 both contain rules that exclude monitoring of each other after you reinstall.

Lynx,

If you can tell me how, please do ... Thanks in advance.

In addition I have some questions, please correct me if I am wrong.

a. Asquared was designed to run alongside with and in addition to other security software, such as Avira, Kaspersky, etc. Right?

b. Consequently, you could run OA plus A2squared plus some antivirus. Right?

c. You say: OApremium plus Asquared = OA++. Right?

d. Then you say: "Make sure you uninstall Kaspersky". But why would I have to unstall Kaspersky if Asquared was designed to run in addition to other antivirus software?

I may be making a mistake, but if so, please tell me where I lost you.

Thanks.

I am not familiar with OA++ but the product page clearly states that it only contains the EMSI/Ikarus scanning engines. As you know, A-Squared AM comprises IDS, plus Surf Protection on top of the scanners.

The functionality you describe has been incorporated into another product. Therefore, the way that functionality is applied is going to be different and GUI elements you are familiar with may be missing.

As for how to implement the exclusions - check out the program help for OA. For a stand-alone installation of A2-AM, right-click the Notification Area icon and choose Application rules. Once the page opens, you will see a link to adding more applications manually.

I think what he means....If he installs OA++ ( which has the A-squared Scanning engines) and then installs A-squared 4.5 will they be compatable. OA++ has its own HIPS and program protection. I can honestly say that I would just install OA premium and then install a-squared 4.5. I woulnd't use OA++ and A2.

I am not familiar with OA++ but the product page clearly states that it only contains the EMSI/Ikarus scanning engines. As you know, A-Squared AM comprises IDS, plus Surf Protection on top of the scanners.

The functionality you describe has been incorporated into another product. Therefore, the way that functionality is applied is going to be different and GUI elements you are familiar with may be missing.

As for how to implement the exclusions - check out the program help for OA. For a stand-alone installation of A2-AM, right-click the Notification Area icon and choose Application rules. Once the page opens, you will see a link to adding more applications manually.

Yes, that is what I will do. Uninstall OA++ and go back to OAPrem plus Asquared. However, an issue has come up in the above discussion. I thought Asquared 4.5 could run in addition to other antivirus software, but some remarks have been made which make me question that. So: is Asquared 4.5 compatible with other antivirus software as Avira or Kaspersky, yes or no? I don't need to hear whether there are redundant, only whether they CAN RUN TOGETHER with Asquared.

Thanks

So: is Asquared 4.5 compatible with other antivirus software as Avira or Kaspersky, yes or no? I don't need to hear whether there are redundant, only whether they CAN RUN TOGETHER with Asquared

If you don't want to hear about redundancy, then yes - they are compatible.

You can read compatibility threads in our old forum.

compatibility - Anti-Malware & compatibility - Mamutu

Other than that you may expect clashes and system instability when using two Antiviruses (AV) ; two Firewalls etc.

An every new version can bring surprises

It is highly recommended to choose and have only one AV as the main with real-me resident.

Sure you can have others as on-demand only, but even the latter may not be trivial task to maintain

My regards