meep

After the update, won't delete tracking cookies

After updating Emsisoft Emergency Kit to version 4.0.0.17, it won't delete the tracking cookies it finds using the Custom Scan.  The cookies are all checked and pressing "Delete Selected Objects" won't delete the cookies.

Something must be wrong after the latest update!  Please fix this.

I have attached a ZIP archive to this message named "cleaning_engine_debug_output.zip" which contains two batch files. One is named "cleaning_engine_enable_debug_output" and the other is named "cleaning_engine_disable_debug_output". Please download this ZIP archive, extract the batch files, and run the "cleaning_engine_enable_debug_output" file (if your computer is running Windows Vista or Windows 7 then please make sure to right-click and select to "Run as administrator").

cleaning_engine_debug_output.zip

After running the batch file, launch Emsisoft Emergency Kit try your scan again. After Emsisoft Emergency Kit fails to delete the detected items, close the scanner, and then check the Emsisoft Emergency Kit folder (usually C:\eek) and there should be a file named "clean.log" (the files should be listed in alphabetical order). Please ZIP this file (if you do not have a program such as WinZip, 7-Zip, or WinRar then please right-click on the file, go to "Send To", and select "Compressed (zipped) folder") and make sure to save the ZIP archive on your desktop to make it easy to find. After that, please attach the ZIP archive with the clean.log file in it to a reply.

Thank you for the reply.  I've run the "cleaning_engine_enable_debug_output" file as you directed and zipped the "clean.log" file.  I've attached it to this reply.

Do I now run the "cleaning_engine_disable_debug_output" file now that I'm done?  Or should I leave it enabled?

Thanks!

clean.zip

Yes, go ahead and run the batch file to disable debug output.

I'll pass this your log on to one of our developers. ;)

Just to let you know, the cookie scan is most likely going to be removed in the future, so I would recommend managing the cookies through the web browser rather than with a scanning utility like Emsisoft Emergency Kit.

Also note that extensions such as Ghostery are capable of preventing tracking cookies, which pretty much eliminates the need for retroactive cookie scans like the one that Emsisoft Emergency Kit does.

Thanks for the tip.  I've followed your recommendation and installed Ghostery on my browsers.  I still like Emisoft Emergency Kit, too!