strange address: www.crawlability.com

wojtek

For a few days, I've received the OA popup message in tray,

and it's also present in the History section of OA GUI:

C:\Program Files\[...]\firefox.exe, Outgoing TCP access allowed to: (www.crawlability.com;crawlability.com) 127.0.0.1:80

this happens when I switch on FF.

And the similar message for Online Armor:

C:\Program Files\Online Armor\OAmine.exe, Outgoing TCP access allowed to: (www.crawlability.com;crawlability.com) 127.0.0.1:80

also, the same messages appear with one difference at the end, for the port number, e.g., 127.0.0.1:27196

What does it mean, this strange connection to 'crawlability.com'?

Is this the name of the local host IP address 127.0.0.1?

127.0.0.1 is the "loopback" address, which means it is always considered the address of your computer (regardless of what address you computer is assigned on your network or over the Internet).

I assume you have a browser extension for Firefox that is causing it to connect to crawlability.com, although that domain name doesn't appear to point to anything at the moment. The domain name appears to have been created on March 11th, 2014 (so it's a pretty new domain).

OK, thank you for the reply.

But OA also connects to this strange address:

C:\Program Files\Online Armor\OAmine.exe, Outgoing TCP access allowed to: (www.crawlability.com;crawlability.com) 127.0.0.1:80

so, maybe it's more general than an add-on problem?

I hope it's not a malware...

Well, we can try getting a log from FRST, and see if we can find what was causing it. Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) from one of the following links, and save it to your Desktop (please note that some web browsers will automatically save all downloads in your 'Downloads' folder, so in those cases please move the download to your desktop):

For 32-bit (x86) editions of Windows:

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/FRST.exe

For 64-bit (x64) editions of Windows:

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/FRST64.exe

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your computer. If you are not sure which version applies to your computer, then download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your computer, and that will be the right version.

• Run the FRST download that works on your computer (for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 please right-click on the file and select "Run as administrator").
  • When the tool opens click "Yes" for the disclaimer in order to continue using FRST.
  • Press the 'Scan' button.
  • When the scan is done, it will save a log as a Text Document named 'FRST' in the same place the tool was run from (if you had saved FRST on your desktop, then the FRST log will be saved there).
  • Please attach the FRST log file to a reply (it is best if you do not copy and paste it into an e-mail).
  • The first time the FRST tool is run it saves another log (a Text Document named 'Addition' - also located in the same place as the FRST tool was run from). Please also attach that log file along with the FRST log file to your reply.
If you are not used to attaching files to e-mails, then just look for a button in the toolbar above where you write your message that has a paperclip icon, and that should be the attachment button.

GT500, thank you for your help and the detailed description.  I read somewhere that the problem could be related to

some DNS remnants and it's harmless.  Now, after new hosts file entries and the system restore I performed,

everything seems to be OK.  If any problems, I will report.