Sign in to follow this  
queenslander

Update failure

I got an update fail window open for the auto update, so tried a manual update.

This came up, and I don't know who/what the "peer" mentioned is/means.

All and any help will be appreciated.

No connection changes have been made - to the best of my knowledge. :(

post-2897-0-19722700-1398228288_thumb.jpg
Download Image

An ignorance induced panic posting.

If it should be in the "Help my pc is infected" please move it there.

Quick scans with Avast Free AV, Malware Bytes and Spybot S&D showed no immediate threats found. I should have done them before posting. Sorry

The statement "connection reset by peer" means the same as "connection reset by remote server". It basically means that the update server appeared to have dropped the connection.

Lets get a Fiddler log, and see if it shows the cause of the issue. Please download and install Fiddler 2 from this link (this is the version that requires the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0), and then follow the instructions below:

• After installing Fiddler, please open it from the Start Menu.
  • Launch Online Armor.
  • Go to Options in the menu on the left.
  • Click on the Internet Settings button.
  • Check the box that says Use a proxy server.
  • Enter localhost in the Address field, and then enter 8888 in the Port field.
  • Click 'OK'.
  • Go back to the Menu on the left, and select Status.
  • Click on the Update now link to start the update (Fiddler must be running when you do this).
  • After the update fails, go back to Fiddler, and to File, then Save, and select All Sessions (please save it on your desktop).
  • Please send me the Fiddler log in a Private Message (do not post in in a reply).
Note that you may need to ZIP the log to be able to attach it to a Private Message. If you don't have a utility such as 7-Zip, WinZip, or WinRar that you can ZIP files and folders by right-clicking on them, going to Send To, and clicking on Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Thanks for the reply GT.

Updates have gone through OK today.

Will you still need me to do the stuff in your post, as in - wil the info you are looking for still be available?

No, I just wanted to see the server's response when the error happened to see if I could figure out what was going on. Now that the issue has stopped happening, there's no error messages that will appear in the Fiddler log. ;)