Fabian Wosar

Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Emsisoft Internet Security 9.0 Public Beta

Hello everyone,

We want to invite you to join the public beta test of Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Emsisoft Internet Security 9.0! :)

eis_screen1.png

Please keep in mind that we take the word "beta" literally. So this is not some version we know is pretty much done that we throw out to generate a lot of hype. Both Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Emsisoft Internet Security 9.0 are very much work in progress, which gives every one of you the opportunity to influence the final product. We are sincerely looking for your feedback and your opinions to make the new versions of our products the best they can be. So please, take the time and share your experiences, both good and bad, with us. You can do so either here in the forum, via forum PM, or via email.

What's new in Emsisoft Anti-Malware & Emsisoft Internet Security 9.0?

• New product: Emsisoft Internet Security
    One of the most common requests we got from our users was for a fully integrated security suite. Emsisoft Internet Security is our answer to those requests. It is based on a combination of the existing Emsisoft Anti-Malware code base and a completely new firewall core that we developed almost from scratch. Compared to the firewall core in Online Armor it features full support for IPv6, more fine grained packet filtering rules, better performance, and full Unicode support. 

• Completely new user experience
    The old user interface has served us well over the years. However, it started to show its age and requests for a new user interface have been increasing for the past year or so. Since we were building a new product with Emsisoft Internet Security we took the opportunity to rethink the user experience as well. The result is a much more friendlier, cleaner, and easier to use experience for all our users. We also took the opportunity to add a lot of smaller user interface features that some users have been asking about but that we never considered due to time constraints. The most popular request of that type is the addition of new statuses in case one or more protection layers are partially disabled.

• Better performance and improved memory usage
    Version 9 of Emsisoft Anti-Malware introduces a whole bunch of internal performance and memory usage improvements. We know that performance is important, so we spent a lot of time tracking down various resource leaks and optimizing a lot of the internal components for a vastly improved user experience overall. In addition we made sure that all our components take advantage of various security enhancements introduced in modern Windows versions, like for example, ASLR and DEP.

• Improved scan accuracy and malware cleaning
    We made several changes to both our scanning and cleaning engine to improve both malware detection and removal, especially on x64 based systems.

• Improved behavior blocker
    Cloud lookups were significantly improved to ensure a better behavior based malware detection and to avoid false alarms for good programs.

• Improved support for Windows 8 & 8.1
    Emsisoft Anti-Malware as well as Emsisoft Internet Security will integrate itself a lot better on Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 systems, taking advantage of the new notification systems and improved live tile support for example.

• As well as hundreds of smaller changes and bug fixes ...

Known issues

• Translations are not complete. It is recommended that you only use the English translation at the moment. If you want to help us translate Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Emsisoft Internet Security 9.0 to your language, please feel free to send us an email for further details.

Where can I download the public beta?
We provide beta setups for both Emsisoft Anti-Malware as well as Emsisoft Internet Security 9.0 here:

Download Emsisoft Anti-Malware 9.0 - product already released as stable. Please see main website for download.
Download Emsisoft Internet Security 9.0

Keep in mind that you will have to uninstall Emsisoft Anti-Malware and in the case of Emsisoft Internet Security, Online Armor must be uninstalled before you are able to install any of the beta versions. We supply the beta version with both signature as well as program updates. The latter are only available via Beta Updates though. So if you want to stay on top of new beta releases during the next couple of weeks we strongly suggest you enable Beta Updates as well. You can do so under Settings/Updates.

During the beta test, you can use the trial license indefinitely as we will extend all trials once per week during the test. We will also make sure to reset all trials once the final release is ready to make sure you will still be able to trial Emsisoft Anti-Malware or Emsisoft Internet Security even if you tried the beta version. If you do have an Emsisoft Anti-Malware key already, you can use it for the beta as well.

More pretty pictures!
Since a lot of people will be curious about the new user interface but don't feel comfortable installing a beta version on their system, we decided to provide a few screen shot impressions of the new user interface:

eis_screen2.png

eis_screen3.png

eis_screen4.png

eis_screen6.png

eis_screen8.png

eis_screen7.png

eis_screen5.png

• Upvote 1

by the way, how do we proceed with our license keys from EAM v8 and OAP? are they implemented yet in EIS v9?

I purchased EAM from Cleverbridge about a month ago, the product key does not work with this version. Will this be rectified once version goes public?

lol you answered my question, from what i heard the keys will be adapted to v9

The new Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Emsisoft Internet Security should fit in 1024x768 (standard 4:3 like most old CRT monitors) or larger screen resolutions.

As for Emsisoft Anti-Malware licenses, your old licenses should work just fine. If you want to try the Internet Security then please use the free trial for now, since Internet Security keys are not yet available for sale.

Two thoughts from those screen images:

a) it's no good if screen layouts require a 1024x768 display, for those of us using netbooks with, for example,

a 1024x600 screen.  I raised this issue quite a while ago - because of a problem with the buttons on alert

panes in the current products not being reachable.   I don't see why a trendy W8-like tile-based interface

should waste acres of screen space, if it also makes use on small screens impossible.   Perhaps you could

have an option that dynamically puts all the action buttons on a particular display at the top of the window

rather than the bottom?

b) in the 'Activate Firewall' screen, the first column 'direction' shows left- and right-pointing arrows.  Presumably

one represents traffic to the computer and one traffic away, but which is which?  Even if people have a 'gut'

feeling about that, I wonder if what they think might depend on whether they are lefthanded or righthanded

(eg when they write stuff).  Maybe up- and down- pointing arrows would be better, if only because the idea

of "upload" and "download" is slightly better understood.   Though.... I've heard plently of non-technical

people using upload/download incorrectly.  So maybe "into" and "out"?

The new Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Emsisoft Internet Security should fit in 1024x768 (standard 4:3 like most old CRT monitors) or larger screen resolutions.

As for Emsisoft Anti-Malware licenses, your old licenses should work just fine. If you want to try the Internet Security then please use the free trial for now, since Internet Security keys are not yet available for sale.

What if someone brought a license for Emsisoft Internet Security 8, would the Online Armor + Anti-Malware licenses merge into one license for version 9?

What if someone brought a license for Emsisoft Internet Security 8, would the Online Armor + Anti-Malware licenses merge into one license for version 9?

Yes, you will be able to convert those keys into an Emsisoft Internet Security key.

Yes, you will be able to convert those keys into an Emsisoft Internet Security key.

Alright, thanks for the quick reply. So far, its running smoothly w/o any issues and Windows Action Center signifies that Emsisoft modules are running as well.

CoM7rc2A.png

Hello, 
If one is on the German language does not appear in German,

there is perhaps an extra forum where bugs are reported or should we report them here: D
 th_937629023_Ashampoo_Snap_2014.05.06_13

Here, the text is in English
  th_373956558_Ashampoo_Snap_2014.05.06_13 

What is 30.07.2007 

And it can not see any news.

th_374287809_Ashampoo_Snap_2014.05.06_14 

BRAVO, Emsisoft team! I'm so pleased to see EAM/EIS is now also available for other people to beta test!

Keep up the good work!

Regards

Hi all!

I'm sorry, Fabian, but you can see a screenshot Emsisoft Anti-Malware 9? not Internet Security, namely EAM?

I am still a big fan and supporter of Online Armor and want to stay with him. ^_^

I am willing to pay and continue for Online Armor. :)

And one more: what can you tell the developers about the compatibility of OA and EAM 9? :huh:

Hi

1- After reboot, EIS 9 dont runnig !!!

gvc13cqtcyl8m0neuh3g.jpg

2- Active pause protection for 60 min, but when open EIS 9 protection has enabeld !!!

I'm sorry, Fabian, but you can see a screenshot Emsisoft Anti-Malware 9? not Internet Security, namely EAM?

They are the same. Just without the Firewall references and the Internet Security changed to Anti-Malware.

I am still a big fan and supporter of Online Armor and want to stay with him. ^_^

I am willing to pay and continue for Online Armor. :)

As we said countless time before, as long as Online Armor continues to pay for its own development, we don't see a reason to discontinue it.

And one more: what can you tell the developers about the compatibility of OA and EAM 9? :huh:

Both do work fine together. You just can't run Emsisoft Internet Security and Online Armor in parallel.
  • Upvote 1

Problem in cleaning engine

Emsisoft Internet Security - Version 9.0
Last update: 2014/05/06 21:05:10

Scan settings:

Scan type: Smart Scan
Objects: Rootkits, Memory, Traces, C:\Windows\, C:\Program Files\, C:\Program Files (x86)\

Detect PUPs: On
Scan archives: Off
ADS Scan: On
File extension filter: Off
Advanced caching: On
Direct disk access: Off

Scan start:    2014/05/06 21:17:31
C:\Users\Mohammad\AppData\Roaming\thinstall     detected: Application.AppInstall (A)

Scanned    114194
Found    1

Scan end:    2014/05/06 21:28:16
Scan time:    0:10:45

Deleted    0

hello, I need to say been using all day, thankfully no slowdowns, scans are fast, no problems so far, great product,  :) :)

To guys complaining about localizations:

Read "Known issues" in the first post.

;)

Guest Tempus

Hi Emsisoft, Congratulations with the public release of " Beta in progress " ^_^. I have Just installed v.9 and was curious to see how the notification popups was regarding user friendliness. So I took it to different honeypots. But what was confusing me most, was this popup. Please see image below. Emsisoft blocked a connection (s), and gave me as first choice to " Allow " ?. That gave for me no sense. Allow, means , " create an allow rule for this threat ". If I have understood it correctly. But that can't be right, can it?? . I truly think that many will press allow,? And by accident allow something that was not intended. I would much more prefer that " Ok " was first choice, meaning that, Emsisoft default reaction to the threat was okay.

If I should place the different respond possibilities in a different order, then it would be. Ok- Deny-Allow-Close. If I have misunderstood anything, then please let me know.

post-29665-0-05962100-1399407004_thumb.png
Download Image

Fabian

Emsisoft Anti-Malware 9 installed on my laptop but will not lift the Security Center service is not seen in the task manager.

Alex

For those who are encountering issues with Emsisoft Internet Security and Emsisoft Anti-Malware in non-English languages, please note that these issues are expected as the language files for non-English languages have not been updated yet. We recommend running this beta in English only for now. ;)

Хочу сказать спасибо команде за работу.Установил сегодня Emsisoft Internet Security 9 все работает хорошо.

У меня такой вопрос,каким образом можно конвертировать лицензии Online Armor + Anti-Malware в Emsisoft Internet Security 9 .За ранее спасибо.

In EAM & EIS removal speed is very slow !!!!!

It should be about the same speed as in 8.1. Keep in mind, that deleting or removing a malware file will cause the cleaning engine to inspect all possible load points and ways the file may be registered in your system. This will usually take about a second or so per file. This usually isn't a big issue in normal cases, unless you start scanning large malware collections. In those cases, I suggest using the command line scanner instead with the /dq parameter.

Хочу сказать спасибо команде за работу.Установил сегодня Emsisoft Internet Security 9 все работает хорошо.

У меня такой вопрос,каким образом можно конвертировать лицензии Online Armor + Anti-Malware в Emsisoft Internet Security 9 .За ранее спасибо.

Please stick to English in any forums outside of the language specific sub forums. Thank you.

I want to thank the team for today rabotu.Ustanovil Emsisoft Internet Security 9 everything works well. 

My question is how to convert the license Online Armor + Anti-Malware in Emsisoft Internet Security 9. For earlier thanks.

We haven't figured out the exact details of the license conversion yet. I suggest stick with the trial license until the conversion is officially available. The trial won't run out during the beta test as we will continue to extend all trial licenses during the entire test period.

Guest Tempus

Thanks Siketa for your support for the idea, much appreciated. :)

Guest Tempus

Another follow up regarding user friendliness. This time is about your firewall notification. "Recommended action,  should always stand as first choice. And not as last choice as it is now. It would be much more logically for a normal user. At least in my World :)

I visit a lot of photo sites and have found that with the EIS pages load noticeably slower than before with another security software. That's why I deleted in the File Guard settings ("scan only specific extensions") the extensions JPG and JPEG.
This represents an increased safety risk? I do not think as a possibly malicious software is detected later than when it is active, right?

(Google half mir beim Übersetzen, meine Schulzeit ist schon zu lange her ;-) )

Testing EIS,must say running as smooth as silk (Win 8.1 update 1 64bit test machine)

One thing i am really missing though is the Firewall Status/Network Traffic/Connection window which I have always loved in OA.

Will this be brought back in some form ?

• Upvote 1

Hello!

Perhaps this is not really on topic! :blush:

But..tell me, please, but why change a beautiful logo (the icon) Emsisoft? :huh:

Sorry, but what is offered-just horrible! :(

Hello ,

Since when Emsisoft deletes files alone? 
When you are finished with scanning  ?

Then I can not activate 

Everything is grayed out

And as you can see on the last picture is about the writing.

th_547896215_Ashampoo_Snap_2014.05.08_14 th_954789750_Ashampoo_Snap_2014.05.08_07 th_547898656_Ashampoo_Snap_2014.05.08_07
th_547898406_Ashampoo_Snap_2014.05.08_07 th_547899484_Ashampoo_Snap_2014.05.08_14

Another follow up regarding user friendliness. This time is about your firewall notification. "Recommended action,  should always stand as first choice. And not as last choice as it is now. It would be much more logically for a normal user. At least in my World :)

That is a really bad idea. Switching the positions of buttons messes with people's muscle memory and they will end up allowing or blocking requests due to that by accident.

I visit a lot of photo sites and have found that with the EIS pages load noticeably slower than before with another security software. That's why I deleted in the File Guard settings ("scan only specific extensions") the extensions JPG and JPEG.

This represents an increased safety risk? I do not think as a possibly malicious software is detected later than when it is active, right?

Did that actually make a difference? I would be surprised if it did to be honest. Large photo galleries cause the browser to establish and drop a lot of connections in very quick succession, that eventually end up in callbacks to the EIS service. We are already looking into a possible fix for those issues.

(Google half mir beim Übersetzen, meine Schulzeit ist schon zu lange her ;-) )

Du kannst auch einfach im Deutschen Forum posten ;)

One thing i am really missing though is the Firewall Status/Network Traffic/Connection window which I have always loved in OA.

Will this be brought back in some form ?

Not in 9.0. Maybe in a later version if there is a demand for it.

But..tell me, please, but why change a beautiful logo (the icon) Emsisoft? :huh:

Because it does not fit the overall style of the application. Gradients like the ones used in the old shield icon look horrible inside the new metro interface, that shies away from any kinds of gradients or any illusions of plasticity.

Guest Tempus

That is a really bad idea. Switching the positions of buttons messes with people's muscle memory and they will end up allowing or blocking requests due to that by accident.

:) Hey Fabian thanks for your feedback. Sorry I can't quite follow your argumentation. You said, due to Muscle memory. That should be the valid reason to place your own advice " Recommendation" as last choice. But what about those new users, who don't have this Muscle memory?? Do you think that they will find it logical that the default recommended action, is placed as last choice in the notification?

Hi!

Some more questions:

Tell me, please,

1) will be supported EAM 8 after the release EAM 9?

2) the upgrade  will occur through autoupdate EAM 8?

3) is there a waiver of such auto-update to version 9 or the program will simply report that "the new version is downloaded and installed" without asking the user? <_<

:) Hey Fabian thanks for your feedback. Sorry I can't quite follow your argumentation. You said, due to Muscle memory. That should be the valid reason to place your own advice " Recommendation" as last choice. But what about those new users, who don't have this Muscle memory?? Do you think that they will find it logical that the default recommended action, is placed as last choice in the notification?

The problem is that the recommendation changes on an alert by alert basis. So any suggestion that is based around the idea of putting the recommended action at the same position will ultimately lead to a change in the button order. This will be a problem for new users as well. Just because they don't yet developed muscle memory and an inherent feel where to expect a certain button in a File Guard or Behavior Blocker alert yet, doesn't mean they never will.

1) will be supported EAM 8 after the release EAM 9?

No. We don't support older versions of our products except they are about to be discontinued.

2) the upgrade  will occur through autoupdate EAM 8?

Yes.

3) is there a waiver of such auto-update to version 9 or the program will simply report that "the new version is downloaded and installed" without asking the user? <_<

The new version will be downloaded as part of the normal updates. We don't support selecting which updates you want to download and which ones you don't, because there are various dependency issues. Update A may require update B that you didn't install, resulting in a broken installation for example.

Thank you, Fabian!

I will definitely update EAM 8!

just wanted to know all the options. :)

Guest Tempus

The problem is that the recommendation changes on an alert by alert basis. So any suggestion that is based around the idea of putting the recommended action at the same position will ultimately lead to a change in the button order. This will be a problem for new users as well. Just because they don't yet developed muscle memory and an inherent feel where to expect a certain button in a File Guard or Behavior Blocker alert yet, doesn't mean they never will.

Thanks Fabian, for responding to my feedback.

Guest Tempus

Hey, I can't resize the main Emsisoft interface window (version 9). Is it supposed to be, a fixed size?