Fabian Wosar

Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Emsisoft Internet Security 9.0 Public Beta

We will not force anyone to replace their EAM+OA bundle with the new EIS. The standalone products can still be used. If you want to switch, we'll exchange the key for free, also back to EAM if you are not happy with EIS.

• Upvote 1

We will not force anyone to replace their EAM+OA bundle with the new EIS. The standalone products can still be used. If you want to switch, we'll exchange the key for free, also back to EAM if you are not happy with EIS.

great customer service I must say!

Would it, or will it be possible to do the Emsisoft main interface smaller ? Because i personally find it a bit bulky at current size. As it's now, you're only able to resize from the default size to a bigger main interface. (my resolution is 1600 X 900...I really liked the size  version 8 has)

I also find it rather large, however we've also received at least one request to make it larger because it was too small so read the UI.

now choosing to convert my EAM License + OA License to an EIS license sounds a bit dangerous to me because if for some reason I face the same false positive or annoying behavioral blocker issues from EIS, then I am forced to use both.

Just to clarify a little bit, Online Armor has a full HIPS, and that is why its notifications seem so aggressive. Emsisoft Anti-Malware has a Behavior Blocker that tries to make decisions automatically when it can, and only asks you when it isn't able to find the information it needs to make an automatic decision.

Emsisoft Internet Security uses the same Behavior Blocker technology as Emsisoft Anti-Malware, since this is considered more friendly for the average user. ;)

hi will you be putting the online banking feature in EIS 9.Will you also be putting in a firewall monitor like we had in online armor just thought these two things would be nice to have in the suite thank you

I am not sure i like the gui will that be changed in the future or is that going to stay the same.

Just to clarify a little bit, Online Armor has a full HIPS, and that is why its notifications seem so aggressive. Emsisoft Anti-Malware has a Behavior Blocker that tries to make decisions automatically when it can, and only asks you when it isn't able to find the information it needs to make an automatic decision.

Emsisoft Internet Security uses the same Behavior Blocker technology as Emsisoft Anti-Malware, since this is considered more friendly for the average user. ;)

thank the lord for that. coz I uninstalled OA. as good as the behavioral blocker sounds. to me, it was like a virus, preventing me from using many programs and just sloed my daily work. it was the most annoying thing I've ever encountered

Guest Tempus

I also find it rather large, however we've also received at least one request to make it larger because it was too small so read the UI.

Yeap  I know, to please all  is almost like the movie title a " Mission impossible ". (You know from that movie where a little man is running around saving the world, ...again).. But I am very pleased that it's taken into consideration. I could not ask for more. :)

Was there new build due yesterday  :unsure:

It was released 2 days earlier, on Saturday.

• Upvote 1

What's the estimate of amount of people testing these betas ?

Reason i ask is it seems so quiet here and at Wilders with any activity or feedback.

Have any show stopping bugs been found to prevent a possible release time now ?

Guest Tempus

Reason i ask is it seems so quiet here and at Wilders with any activity or feedback.

I know from former participation in beta testing, ( from other software than Av's) that there is a group of dedicated beta testers that beta test the product, or diffrent part of the product, way before it is released to be, public beta tested, on different platforms combinations of software environments, that is impossible to create (due to the many combinations), when you are beta testing a product. But the silence on a beta testing forum is most often a good solid sign , that the beta testers have solved most of the issues that was found before it was released to the public. The next step I would guess, is to create awareness to the final release date and a good marketing strategy to maximize the outcome of all the efforts there has been put into the development of the product.

Btw you can always join the beta testers, by instructions from this link, if you like: Joining the Emsisoft beta tester team  , :) free of charge :D

In general there are multiple stages of tests. The way it works is like this:

1. The developer that made the change will usually do some rudimentary smoke screen testing. He knows what he wanted to change, so he just tests that the change works as he expected.
  2. The change then enters QA where the changes are tested against a catalog of standardized test procedures. This is usually done to make sure a specific change doesn't impact any other functionality of the software.
  3. Changes that have been tested are then selected to be included in a new build that we roll out periodically. These builds are tested by all employees of our company (27 at the moment) as well as a group of Testers (about 80).
  4. Once those builds are reasonably stable, we usually extend the circle of testers. For this particular version we decided not to involve all users that opted into beta updates just yet and publish a separate setup first. About 600 people took us up on that offer so far and are actively using either EAM 9.0 or EIS 9.0.
  5. We then publish the new version to all people opting into beta updates. That usually increases the amount of testers to about 8000 - 10000.

So at the moment about 600 - 700 people are looking for bugs ;).

For EAM, not so much which is why it it likely that there will be an EAM 9.0 release soon. For EIS there are a few show stopping bugs at the moment. But we are perfectly contend to release EAM 9.0 first and wait until EIS 9.0 is stable and release it later.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for replies, was just curious because of the lack of posts.

Even though I am not a 'registered' tester I have used all betas on test systems (Win 7 and Win 8.1 64 bit) with no major issues.

I am still using EAM8 and OAP on my main machine and await further test builds before release.

Thanks again :)

The EAM icon seems to be washed out on my laptop. Maybe it's because of my DPI scaling which I set to 125% since my 19200x1080 resolution is too small for my eyes and I can't go any lower since that's the native resolution of my laptop. but the icon was fine in EAM 8, now it looks fugly

zlt6yg.jpg

The interface looks a lot nicer indeed!

Sadly both of my current computers are productive and cannot avoid the beta testing, otherwise I would love to try it out now.

It could be a question too earlier to raise: any idea when the final will be released? :P

It could be a question too earlier to raise: any idea when the final will be released? :P

We don't like to try to guess at ETA's, since it is far too easy to fail to meet them. ;)

The new interface looks really nice but on an older netbook with 1024x600 resolution it is not really usable :(

Here the lower part of the main window is just cut of.

So for example it is not possible to press the lower buttons during initial setup or to reach the lower user interface elements in the main window ...

I don't understand why did you remove Hips and you will be using BB only in Emsisoft Internet security 9? Hips is much stronger protection then BB because BB is behaving and protect user on different way. I was using Emsisoft antimalware with Online Armor because of Hips and now you removed Hips, I think that this is bad decision. BB is not protecting user as strong as Hips. This has been proved in many tests.

Hips is much stronger protection then BB because BB is behaving and protect user on different way.

A HIPS is only stronger in the hands of a knowledgeable user. Most home users will be completely overwhelmed by the large amount of alerts. We already have a product for enthusiasts users with the EAM and OA bundle. We are lacking a product targeted towards home users though, which is the market Emsisoft Internet Security is going to target. You can continue to use Emsisoft Anti-Malware 9.0 and Online Armor if you prefer the greater control a HIPS gives you if you want to. It is not going away.

Cannot get updates from Windows Store because got the message that the windows firewall service ist deactivatet.

Also I get an errorcode: 0x80073d0a if I want install any App from Windows store.

Edit:

After turn on the Windows Firewall Service installation from Windows Store works.

Using Emsi Internetsecurity 9.0.0.4021

System: Windows 8.1 with all updates.

A new beta build is available via online updates now.

Changes in version 9.0.0.4057 compared to the previous version:

• Fixed a couple of minor GUI glitches
  • Improved support for high-dpi displays

• Improved cleaning routines in file guard alerts

• Improved default firewall rules.

• Two possible crash bugs fixed.

• Improved context menu support within data grids

• Improved surf protection dialog

• Cleaned up outdated translations

• Fixed an issue that prevented scans of email container formats even though the archive scan was enabled

nzf5qa8vom8jgtpyf6yi.jpg

Little confusing alert.

Is check icon allows connection to suspicious host or confirms blocking action?

Where is "Allow once"?

nzf5qa8vom8jgtpyf6yi.jpg

Little confusing alert.

Is check icon allows connection to suspicious host or confirms blocking action?

Where is "Allow once"?

We will improve that dialogs with one of the upcoming builds. When you click Allow, the host you are trying to access it not alerted anymore (a custom "block silently" rule is created). If you click the block button, the host is no longer alerted but always blocked.

Changes in version 9.0.0.4085 compared to the previous version:

• Improved overall performance and startup time.

• Several minor GUI improvements.

• Improved Surf Protection notification windows for better usability.

• Improved Behavior Blocker alert handling.

• Improved time input boxes for AM/PM format.

• Improved support for high-dpi screens.

• Improved updater.

• Fixed bug in logging settings.

• Fixed potential crash when user logs off during an active scan.

• Data grid column widths are now saved.

• Cleaned up installer.

• Improved overall stability.

• Fixed potential crash bug with Firefox and Chrome.

Guest Tempus

Hello Christian,.. what do you mean with a Cleaned up Installer,... Improved malware removal or improved uninstallation process or ?

Thanks, but I won't have a weekend this week. When you look closely at the new EAM 9.0 build, you will notice something is missing in the user interface. So naturally we are even more busy than usual ;).

@Fabian

Still cannot update Windows Store Apps. Also not able install new one from Store. Is this a problem by MS? because I need to activate the Firewall Service.

Still cannot update Windows Store Apps. Also not able install new one from Store. Is this a problem by MS? because I need to activate the Firewall Service.

Most likely, yes. I am not sure there is a proper fix for this. Enabling the Windows Firewall Service will ultimately cause a whole bunch of other issues. We are looking into it though.

See also:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2785579/EN-US

If you actually use the store, then you will have to close EIS and start the firewall service manual at the moment. We are already looking into possible solutions.

Changes in version 9.0.0.4096 compared to the previous version:

• Added blocking of system sleep mode when a scan is in progress.

• Improved quarantine submit feature.

• Improved high-dpi screen support.

• Several minor GUI improvements.

• Fixed a problem with notifications when a detected file is being removed before quarantine takes place.

• Fixed repeating alerts for the same malware in case malware was not deleted properly during first attempt.

• Fixed issue with slow removing of large amount of same malwares after scan.

• Fixed a few potential crash errors.

Guest Tempus

Changes in version 9.0.0.4096 compared to the previous version:

• Added blocking of system sleep mode when a scan is in progress.

Actually a smart move/addition that will prevent a lot of potential issues.