Will EAM update to v9 automatically?

I have Emsisoft Anti-Malware v8.1.0.40. Once the Beta of 9 reaches a final stage, will my EAM update automatically to that version or will I have to uninstall/re-install?

I am also concerned about one thing, does the EAM uninstaller remove all files/reg entries/traces? do you offer a proper EAM uninstaller that cleans the system of every trace of EAM so one could download the new version?

We will most likely enable direct update from version 8.1 to version 9 at a later point of the beta test period.

The uninstaller removes everything that the installer installed. But it doesn't know about newly added files. Those can usually just be deleted. It also doesn't delete any user-created files such as scan reports.

Settings are mostly stored in simple .ini files, not in the windows registry.

• Upvote 1

We will most likely enable direct update from version 8.1 to version 9 at a later point of the beta test period.

The uninstaller removes everything that the installer installed. But it doesn't know about newly added files. Those can usually just be deleted. It also doesn't delete any user-created files such as scan reports.

Settings are mostly stored in simple .ini files, not in the windows registry.

Can Emsisoft please provide us with an EAM/EIS uninstaller like other vendors do which removes the program + all traces ?

• 2 weeks later...

So far, in my testing, the new version 9 is more efficient than version 8.1 was, and actually runs faster and is more responsive. I have an Intel Core i7 4770k and 16GB of DDR3 RAM, so on an older system you might not see as dramatic of a difference as I am seeing. That being said, hopefully you will still notice it being more efficient and more responsible than version 8.1, even if it is only by a little bit. ;)

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I have been using the free scanner of Emsisoft Anti-Malware, but i noticed the new version does not offer the free standalone scanner as before. It does not give that option on installation, and was wondering will it go to the free standalone scanner version once the trial ends? I am currently using both paid versions of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUEPRAntiSpyware along with Norton Internet Security 2014 and Spybot S&D. I don't need another monitoring software to go along with them and noticed an incredible slow down once the new version (9) is installed with it's monitoring component along with what i have. I have always loved and used Emsisoft free standalone scanner for a second opinion and when thing's get rough as i test a lot of software, i do a lot of installing and uninstalling of applications. Having the free version comes in handy for that back up purpose and am wondering is the free standalone still offered as with past versions thanks :)

The freeware mode still exists in Emsisoft Anti-Malware 9. There is just no more way to directly activate it upon installation. Once your trial or full version license expires, the software will always switch to freeware mode. If your trial period already has expired based on a previous installation, the wizard will ask you whether you want to directly use freeware mode.

However, if you're just looking for a second opinion scanner, I'd encourage you to use the portable Emsisoft Emergency Kit instead. It doesn't even require any installation and comes with exactly the same scanner components.