MaXimus666

Questions about Online Armor

1) If I purchase an Online Armor license, will it work smoothly with my EAM? Is it the same thing as getting the suite or is the suite better integrated or something

2) Does Emsisoft offer upgrade options for current EAM users rather than paying the full price for Online Armor?

3) Will Online Armor slow down my downloading of torrents?

4) most importantly, why would I need Online Armor if EAM already intercepts bad URLs and blocks them? it kind of acts like a mini firewall on its own, so please justify why would one need to pay more for a separate Firefwall when the Windows 7 / Windows 8 firewall is good enough?

convince meh

1) and 3) You have to install and check. Your system is different from others.

2) Emsi guys will reply

4) OA offers HIPS and better interface than Win FW, including notifications for outbound traffic. In short words...just read its homepage for more details.

• Upvote 1

1) If I purchase an Online Armor license, will it work smoothly with my EAM? Is it the same thing as getting the suite or is the suite better integrated or something

Online Armor and Emsisoft Anti-Malware will work smoothly side by side. It is not the same as getting a suite though, as both applications don't exchange any information. So you will have to allow actions twice for example if an applications happens to trigger both a HIPS and a behavior blocker alert. We are working on a fully integrated product which is called Emsisoft Internet Security 9.0 and is currently in public beta testing.

2) Does Emsisoft offer upgrade options for current EAM users rather than paying the full price for Online Armor?

We do.

3) Will Online Armor slow down my downloading of torrents?

It will. Every firewall will actually. Torrent clients create thousands of connections, which have to be verified and allowed. That verification process takes CPU time, potentially lowering the download speed.

4) most importantly, why would I need Online Armor if EAM already intercepts bad URLs and blocks them? it kind of acts like a mini firewall on its own, so please justify why would one need to pay more for a separate Firefwall when the Windows 7 / Windows 8 firewall is good enough?

If you don't have any use for the HIPS features and if you do work behind a router and in a trusted network all the time, there is no need for a firewall. Not even the Windows one.

convince meh

We are not a sales forum. We do customer support here.

Emsisoft Internet Security 9.0 hasn't been released yet. But yes, Emsisoft Internet Security will not contain the Online Armor HIPS. However, you can continue to use EAM 9.0 and Online Armor if you prefer the HIPS as you can do now.

I now realize I have been confused between 'Emsisoft Internet Security Pack' (also version 9-something) and 'Emsisoft Internet Security 9.0' as part of my misunderstanding. I will search for previous information about why HIPS is no longer going to be included to help decide if I stay with my present setup or switch. Thanks.

I found the answer for HIPS not being included in EIS 9 when it actually goes live. What I expected - too complex for regular users. I will stick with separate EAM and OA as you suggested for my needs. Thanks.