MaXimus666

HIPS is very annoying with my VPN

So I reported many false positives yesterday which I was told they will not be whitelisted since that is the way HIPS telling you what's happening on your system. Fine, so I ignored it and simply allowed whatever legitamate apps HIPS was detecting.

The problem is, my VPN app (Private Internet Access) creates many temp files when it starts up, more than 5 or 6 so having to click allow each time I launch my VPN is a major pain :(

This is an example:

9r2246.jpg

What can I do? I love Online Armor + EAM combo and feel well protected, I don't want to disable HIPS and lower my security but also don't want it getting in the way of my daily usage.

Check "Remember my decision" and then Allow it.

I off-course did that for every one of those alerts. but upon reboot, it seems because the temp files name change, you get them warning all over again :(

That's why I asked to whitelist my VPN app

What about "Trust this program"? Did you also check it?

I don't have OA installed. What does it say under Info icons?

What about "Trust this program"? Did you also check it?

I don't have OA installed. What does it say under Info icons?

Yes I did check it off-course.

Strange, upon reboot and re-launch of Private Internet Access, this time it didn't give me any warnings.

If it does again, I will tell you what it says under the info icons.

Cheers

You can try running Online Armor in Learning Mode in order to have it automatically trust the VPN software, however if it is creating randomly named files in a temp folder when you run it then there really is no way to ensure that you won't see notifications each time.

Another issue here is that the files are not digitally signed. It's bad enough when applications create randomly named files in temp folder and execute them, but when there is no digital signature that means that there is nothing for us to whitelist.

You can try running Online Armor in Learning Mode in order to have it automatically trust the VPN software, however if it is creating randomly named files in a temp folder when you run it then there really is no way to ensure that you won't see notifications each time.

Another issue here is that the files are not digitally signed. It's bad enough when applications create randomly named files in temp folder and execute them, but when there is no digital signature that means that there is nothing for us to whitelist.

I understand. thanks for the explanation.

I would believe that the makers of Private Internet Access are working on getting the executables digitally signed. ;)

• Upvote 1