sandbo

Reporting a serious conflict with Windows 8.1, maybe particularly on Surface Pro

Hi there,

I just want to confirm that there is a conflict between Online Armor, basically the Program Guard, with many default Windows 8.1 Modern Apps.

I couldn't get many updates installed these days, I thought it was my machine reaching the re-install day so I freaked the whole thing up and did a clean install of Windows 8.1

To my surprise, I still couldn't get basic apps like Music and Onenote Touch installed if I leave the Program Guard on.

If I am opening a new account after Online Armor has been installed, ALL APPS will not open in the new account, nor can they be updated/re-installed.

Btw, I didn't change anything with the setting on Anti-Malware nor Online Armor, except setting a password for both, if that matters.

I think this could be quite a serious issue towards all Win8.1 users, it would be great if you can look into it, thank you.

Have you tried enabling Learning Mode in Online Armor before installing apps? You can do that by right-clicking on the System Tray icon for Online Armor and selecting Learning Mode.

I didn't, and I don't think it's a good idea to swap between mode whenever I need to install apps.

Just now I realized that the program guard actually prevented me from pairing with my Bluetooth keyboard.........this is something really annoying, at least a notification should have come out to let me know if that blocked the action, instead of showing nothing.

For certain, it won't be much of an issue for me as I seldom further modify my system after it has settled;

but for many other Windows 8.1 users, I believe it will take a while until they have figured out that is the Online Armor Program Guard blocking them from pairing their mice and keyboards, or installing any Windows Apps. This could really be something that drives them away.

We are in the process of developing a new Internet Security application that uses new firewall technology and the Behavior Blocker technology used in Emsisoft Anti-Malware rather than the HIPS from Online Armor, which should resolve a lot of the issues you are having with notifications.

• Upvote 1

I didn't, and I don't think it's a good idea to swap between mode whenever I need to install apps.

Just now I realized that the program guard actually prevented me from pairing with my Bluetooth keyboard.........this is something really annoying, at least a notification should have come out to let me know if that blocked the action, instead of showing nothing.

For certain, it won't be much of an issue for me as I seldom further modify my system after it has settled;

but for many other Windows 8.1 users, I believe it will take a while until they have figured out that is the Online Armor Program Guard blocking them from pairing their mice and keyboards, or installing any Windows Apps. This could really be something that drives them away.

You are really seeing the effect of the ill conceived dual nature of the Windows 8 UI. I can bet that when you are trying to add an app, if you move the mouse to the top left corner, you will see OA asking for your input. Should the notification show on the Windows 8 tiled interface? I am not an expert on what Windows 8.x allows in terms of what non Windows 8 metro apps can use for notification, but I haven't seen a such an app showing notifications when you are in the metro UI.

That said, the advice given is a good one. You know when you are going to install apps, so if you are really keen on them, setting OA in learning mode is not hard to do. You can also use the mouse as I described whenever you install an app, because you know OA will ask for permission to go on.

I am a long time OA user, using it currently in a laptop that started with Windows 8.0 and is now running the latest Windows 8.1.

You are really seeing the effect of the ill conceived dual nature of the Windows 8 UI. I can bet that when you are trying to add an app, if you move the mouse to the top left corner, you will see OA asking for your input. Should the notification show on the Windows 8 tiled interface? I am not an expert on what Windows 8.x allows in terms of what non Windows 8 metro apps can use for notification, but I haven't seen a such an app showing notifications when you are in the metro UI.

Windows 8/8.1 has a new type of notification that we can display in the Metro interface, however I don't think Online Armor supports them yet. Emsisoft Anti-Malware 9 and Emsisoft Internet Security do support them (I helped test them when they were added), so that shouldn't be an issue with those products.

I certainly understand everyone here is trying to help and much appreciate it, and I must have to state, me too.

I am a long term user of Windows 8 and 8.1, and I would say I am quite familiar with it. The fact is it is nasty, and has many problem with not OA but other software as well.

While they are having problem, I would still like to see if on Emsi side there is anything can be done to cop with it, for MS, though suffering from a lost in market share, still speaks louder as an OS maker.

Finally, I set password to all security software as an extra layer of protect; such that the hacker won't be able to turn them off easily.

Imagine, you have to type the password everytime you want to get a new apps you are interested in. And as I mentioned, I can't even pair my Bluetooth keyboard, that's something more relevant, right?

But on knowing that there will be something new called EIS 9, definitely we should spend less time bothering with the old stuff, and I am actually trying that out and report the problems I found. I hope I haven't been too impolite when I try to stress how important it can be for a software to be able to fit seamlessly with the, well, still quite main stream OS. On knowing the idea of being a 25+ people spreading all over the world company, and the impressive result EMSI has generated, I very much want to support it, and reporting + pronouncing the importance of some points are probably the only thing I can contribute.

We are always grateful for feedback, and we certainly feel that Online Armor shouldn't be blocking peripherals such as keyboards, mice, etc.

Basically I blame program guard, file guard and registry guard for all the troubles.

Program guard stopped me from installing Apps; file guard stopped me from, from opening the game "The Elder Scroll: Oblivion" to not saving the game;

I lost 3 hrs of gameplay last night thinking that the game was saved. Turning the file guard and registry guard off solved the problem.

Basically I would say they are extremely hard to use; I was using Comodo Firewall and that one was renowned for its frequent blocking and notifications, yet after clicking allow once and saving that decision it will no longer show up.

But my experience with OA has been negative, I kept pressing allow with no luck, even I tried to turn on learning mode, run the game once and save it; then if I turn that mode off the same just happened; File guard must be off if I am to work on my computer.

I really hope this would not be happening in the EIS 9, and luckily it seems to be working pretty well on my another Windows 8.1 PC.

The Files and Registry section in Online Armor is not available in Standard Mode, and after you switch to Advanced Mode you have to create rules for it to do anything. Generally you don't want to use it at all unless you have very specific monitoring needs.

For games like Skyrim, it's generally best to add the entire Steam folder as an exclusion in Online Armor, that way it won't monitor any programs executing from those folders.