Should a2system be this size?

jdo

Running Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium with EAM 8.1.0.40 and OA 7.0.0.1866

Task Manager shows a2service.exe as 225,816K which is by far the largest memory user. Is this reasonable?

post-25107-0-33854000-1401832958_thumb.jpg

Guest Tempus

Running Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium with EAM 8.1.0.40 and OA 7.0.0.1866

Task Manager shows a2service.exe as 225,816K which is by far the largest memory user. Is this reasonable?

Hey jdo

After an hour of surfing, my a2service.exe show 227.4 mb, but that is with active memory optimization disabled. I find the system a bit more responsive that way. Btw. have you seen this article, where How to Geek explains Why It’s Good That Your Computer’s RAM Is Full.

Emsisoft Anti-Malware's database is over 200MB, and technically when the entire database is loaded into RAM it can use more than that. If the Activate memory usage optimization option is enabled in Emsisoft Anti-Malware's configuration then it will automatically offload any parts of the database that are not being used into the pagefile to reduce memory usage. As you launch and use programs on your computer, different parts of the database will be used, and Windows will automatically move them back into RAM when that happens.

Some people do disable the memory optimization feature in Emsisoft Anti-Malware because it does help slightly with performance by eliminating the delay for signatures to be moved from the pagefile into RAM when Emsisoft Anti-Malware tries to use them.

Guest Tempus

Emsisoft Anti-Malware's database is over 200MB, and technically when the entire database is loaded into RAM it can use more than that. If the Activate memory usage optimization option is enabled in Emsisoft Anti-Malware's configuration then it will automatically offload any parts of the database that are not being used into the pagefile to reduce memory usage. As you launch and use programs on your computer, different parts of the database will be used, and Windows will automatically move them back into RAM when that happens.

Some people do disable the memory optimization feature in Emsisoft Anti-Malware because it does help slightly with performance by eliminating the delay for signatures to be moved from the pagefile into RAM when Emsisoft Anti-Malware tries to use them.

Thanks for the explanation GT500, truly well explained :) . Personally I run without memory optimization enabled, but at the same time I will admit that it is almost not noticeable, if you have this optimization feature enabled or not. But there is no doubt that Ram is much faster anytime, than a classic (5400-7200rmp) hard drive. If one has unused ram, then I think it should be put in use. Otherwise I think it is a waste of money, roughly speaking. Personally I have bulked up my system with lot of ram, mainly because I use Adobe software a lot. And as we know,  Adobe is notorious for eating ram modules to breakfast, amongst other things. But a kudos to Emsisoft for a extremely well coded " memory optimization feature". I can't remember if I have seen this feature in any other Av's.

... I can't remember if I have seen this feature in any other Av's.

Other AV's have memory usage optimization features of their own. I am not aware of the specific technologies used in other products, however it would not be surprising if they use some sort of disk caching or offload it into the pagefile like we do in order to move as much of their database out of RAM as possible.

Guest Tempus

Other AV's have memory usage optimization features of their own. I am not aware of the specific technologies used in other products, however it would not be surprising if they use some sort of disk caching or offload it into the pagefile like we do in order to move as much of their database out of RAM as possible.

^_^ Arrrggghhh, GT500 you're right, no doubt that many Av's out there use pagefile to offload; to bring down memory consumption. But that is typically me, I could just have expressed me better. What I actually meant was, that I have not seen any other Av vendor, where you are able to choose to use memory optimization (more use of the pagefile), or just load much more into memory. And I really like that Emsisoft give the user the possibility to choose.