blueskyes

new user- a-squared free will not open again for 2nd scan

I am a new user and just did a scan on one of our computers, and quarantined the objects detected. I wanted to start another scan to see if it came up clean, but now the a-squared free program will not open at all, even if I go directly to the exe file and click on it - nothing at all happens. Maybe there's something I can try to correct this? Thanks.

Hi, blueskyes

You could have quarantined some items that you were not supposed to be quarantined

Do not quarantine / delete without prior investigation when you see files resided in the system areas

If you are not sure please submit flagged items to EMSI developers from the detection list. Always save report

It is not clear yet why you cannot start a2, but just in case the reinstallation will be required save (copy) whole content of the \Quarantine\ folder (there should be files named like 7EF7666288418F008B4C4BE442D34F3A59BCD1CB.A2Q)

Read this Sticky - it may help in the future

Provide information about the System Environment as in Forum Posting Rules #2).

You can use signature in your forum's profile for that

My regards

...What was quarantined? Did you save the report?

Hi, blueskyes

What was quarantined? Did you save the report?

Thank you; yes, I did save the report, but actually it was my 2nd scan on that desktop computer. I did the first scan last night and didn't save the report (dumb, I know - just getting used to the software...). (I also scanned our notebook computer after that today; quarantined stuff, and then came up with a clean scan the 2nd time on the notebook - no problems with that one.)

Here's the 2nd report from early this morning on the desktop PC (and now I can't open the program, as you know):

~ INLINE LOG file REMOVED {Lynx}

Thanks for looking at this! :)

blueskyes,

Please do not in-line post the reports. That is written in the instruction referred above

Attach the reports

I will edit your post later. {edit} I attached your report this time

re your report:

1) Cookies are harmless, they are not threats and never representing danger.

It is recommended to clean temporary file locations and cookies prior to scanning

2) The detections in the System Restore point are inactive and can be used only by the System Restore feature

Antiviruses cannot manipulate with data in that protected area. The only way to clean Sys. Restore is to turn it Off ; Reboot and switch it back On.

note: what is now in sys. restore could've been restored already by the System, but initially those could've been FPs, so be careful - see the referred Sticky

My regards

Thank you, Lynx. I see that I should attach reports in the future - thanks for editing that for me.

Also, here is our System info for that computer:

System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3

Security Software we've been using - CCleaner, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Super AntiSpyware, AdAware, Spybot Search and Destroy, SpywareBlaster, Bsecure internet filter w/ firewall and pop-up blocker, NoScripts add-on for Firefox

And I see that I should have looked into those items before quarantining - is there any way to get the A-squared program to run again? If so, are any of those items FP's that I should restore from being quarantined, or should any be deleted?

Also, how does one turn off System Restore, and once I learn how to do it, should I go ahead and do that, reboot, and turn it back on as you mentioned?

(I will also figure out how to locate the Quarantine folder so I can save the contents if we learn that I must reinstall....)

Thanks for helping with this!

blueskyes,

Firstly, you don't need to rush with System Restore at the moment

... but

a step-by-step guide on how to activate and deactivate the Windows System Restore function in Windows XP can be found here

If installed as default regarding the location of the Software – the path to the quarantine is C:\Program Files\a-squared Free\Quarantine\

Basically, if the mentioned files (<>.A2Q) were saved as suggested

What can be done is:

- After uninstalling reinstalling a2-Free and performing the Update you can copy those files back into the \Quarantine\ folder;

- Then straight away “visit” the Quarantine and use “Save quarantined list”.

Now you know what was jailed and you may attach that if necessary;

- Further, you can use an Update and set Re-Scanning to “Silent” or “Manual”

(see the reply Feb., 9 and images regarding re-scanning in this thread

note: you should use the same version of the Software for that and basically never keep quarantine “forever” since the new versions may not handle the old format of the quarantine – the latter may change.

My regards

P.S. do you have any similar issues in respect to starting other programs either from shortcuts or directly?

Thanks, again.

It seems that some other programs ARE also having issues. Spybot also won't open at all, even from the exe file. I looked in Task Manager processes, and there are several instances of both a2free.exe and SpybotSD.exe running there, probably one for each time I attempted to open them. Yet if they are running, they are invisible!

The following programs did open from Quick Launch shortcuts, but otherwise have not behaved normally. CCleaner stalls at 28% on the cleaner mode, though it went to completion on a registry scan. I opened SuperAntispyware and it apparently updated well enough, but when I clicked "Scan your Computer" - nothing. And then it froze completely and I had to use Task Manager to shut it down. When I opened it again, it gave the same update message as previously, so the updates had not been retained - will still shut down only via Task Manager. And the AdAware scan keeps counting down the time, but no scanning is underway - it just hangs as far as scanning, but the time keeps going.

So I am thinking of just doing a System Restore and starting over to just before I ran the first A-squared scan. What do you think?

Of course I would first locate and save the Quarantined Files as you directed.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks -

Attached is the list of the quarantined files. I'll wait to hear your thoughts on the quarantined items before doing a System Restore.

(I cannot seem to figure out how to attach the list to this reply - I select the file name beside the browse button, but it does not upload for some reason?)

...Attached is the list of the quarantined files...

(I cannot seem to figure out how to attach the list to this reply - I select the file name beside the browse button, but it does not upload for some reason?)

in addition to <<browse>> button there is an <<Attach This File>> dark blue one below ;)

The only dark blue button I have below is the one that says "Add Reply" - and that is under the "Options" section. In the "Attachments" section (between the "Post" and "Options" sections), I only have two light blue "Browse" buttons, which are right beside each other... no other buttons are there at all.

blueskyes,

That could be something with your Java

Do you have the latest Java installed? I not see this Java Sticky

Are you using IE?

If so what version and have you tried an alternative browser?

If that is FireFox are you using any add-ons that can block the content like NoScript, RequestPolicy...?

The similar was reported once see the image below, but unfortunately the user stopped responding (the case was in “Malware Removal” section)

a2frmscrnshot.jpg

but it should look like is depicted in attached image

My regards

Thanks; I was running NoScript on Firefox, so that was the problem....

So now I have the "Attach This File" button, but when I attempted to attach, I got this message: "Error You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file."

I had pasted the quarantined files into an MS Word document. Do I need to use something different?

1st, glad that NoScript tip worked.

The <>.doc file type is not permitted, but you don't need to copy/paste anything into the word document.

Please be more specific about the procedure.

If you can run a2 and can access the quarantine area you use "Save quarantine list" as it was suggested and that will be <>.txt (text file format).

But it is not clear what steps from the described above were done/

Were you able to use restore?

have you reinstalled? Can you run a2?

Have you copied the saved quarantined content back into the \Quarantine\ folder?... etc

The xxxxx.a2q files are encrypted, So what have you pasted into the doc?

My regards

p.s. most likely I will be back tomorrow morning (this morning actually already :),

but H_D can take over if he has time

No, I still can't run A2 at all.

I copied and pasted the 90 files in quarantine (individually!)from Explore - C:\Program Files\a-squared Free\Quarantine\

I was waiting to hear feedback on the quarantined items before doing a System Restore.

I also have not re-installed A2 or any of the other programs mentioned earlier that are also behaving strangely.

I'm just waiting to see what you both think about the quarantined items first.

Here's an example of what I have pasted into the document - it is the first item:

file:///C:/Program%20Files/a-squared%20Free/Quarantine/0B36D5F94A0E236172AF6F7470E8D2481621C523.A2Q

"Have you copied the saved quarantined content back into the \Quarantine\ folder?... etc" - I think you mean after a re-install of A2, which I haven't done yet, right?

Thanks for your help!

The xxxxx.a2q files are encrypted, So what have you pasted into the doc?
... Here's an example of what I have pasted into the document - it is the first item:

file:///C:/Program%20Files/a-squared%20Free/Quarantine/0B36D5F94A0E236172AF6F7470E8D2481621C523.A2Q

Each file <>.a2q has the items inside that you can see if you Save the list but those are just locations and the names of files and detections

The Program knows the format and decrypting that either when you want just to save/see the list or when you are restoring items from the quarantine into their initial locations

So, only a2 can do that as described.

Copying the <>.a2q into the doc file doesn't make sense.

Sometimes those files can be sent to developers for investigation

My regards

p.s. now I am going to sleep for sure :) see you tomorrow

I was wondering about that, too. But I was responding to:

"You can try that, but please also let us know which files were quarantined."

I had already attached the report of that 2nd scan, and since I couldn't get into the program, the only way to get further info was from Explore - C:\Program Files\a-squared Free\Quarantine\

So what should be my next step?

Thanks again.

Follow Lynx's instructions regarding uninstalling and reinstalling A-Squared. Remember to copy the Quarantine folder to a new location on your hard drive before uninstalling. After reinstalling, copy it back and then save the list as instructed and attach the text file in a response.

Please let us know if you encounter any problems uninstalling.

I'm sorry - everyone in our household has been under the weather for the last few days (fever, etc.) - I'm eager to get this straight, so will work on this again as soon as I can. Thanks for your patience and your help...

No rush, just take your time. Reply when you're ready. The thread will pop back to the top of the list after you reply so it will be seen.