miekiemoes

Online Armor - Windows KB2957689 won't install

Hi,

I'm on Windows 8.1 64 bits - all updates installed.

Since recent Windows updates, there was one update that wouldn't install. (Windows8.1-KB2957689-x64).

It actually did install, but after rebooting the PC, Windows gave me the message it couldn't install this KB, thus reverted back.

I tried everything, disabled OA hips, disabled OA entirely, updated its database - windows clean boot, whatever else, issue persisted.

Online Armor services couldn't be disabled, for obvious reasons (to do the Windows clean boot), so I decided to temporary uninstall Online Armor.

And, suprisingly, the Windows8.1-KB2957689-x64 update DID install properly this time while OA was uninstalled.

So it looks like OA is interfering with this update in some way - hence why reporting this here in order to see if you can reproduce this and get this fixed.

Thanks!

Did Win 8.1 give any error number after the failure to uninstall?

I take it that you already had the required update KB2919355 installed in order for this particular update to install ?

Did anything show in OA history before you uninstalled it regarding this?

Yes, it was

Error details: Code 800F0922

And yes, I had the required update KB2919355 installed already.

Unfortunately, since I uninstalled and reinstalled AO again (in order to have this update working), the OA history has been purged.

Another user had the same issue with this exact update. Temporary uninstalling OA fixed this as well.

I am the "other user" that miekiemoes refers to - uninstalling Online Armor allowed me to install the KB2957689 update. And like miekiemoes I also had the KB 2919355 update installed already.

Paul

I encountered the same issue. With Win 8.1, the KB 2957689 did not install properly, even after using the Windows Troubleshooting and the Emsisoft Lernmodus. Only after uninstall of Emsisoft Online Armor (and at the same time the Anti Malware), the important Windows update was sucessful. 

Hi all,

Succeeded to install KB 2957689 on windows 8.1 64-bit with KB 2919355 already installed.

By :

-disabling Online Armor (stop and close OA on contextual menu appearing when right-clicking on tray icon)

-disabling HIPS functions (just for sure)

-disabling Avast antivirus program

-stopping and disactivating Online Armor service in services.msc

-install KB

-restart

-reactivate OA and Avast

It worked for me.

Regards

Hi,  I am experiencing this problem too.

I assume the following entry in the History is related to problem:  Autorun detected: {17FE9752-0B5A-4665-84CD-569794602F5C},22/06/2014 14:17:04,Blocked,{17FE9752-0B5A-4665-84CD-569794602F5C}

I have logging enabled, but don't know where it is written to.

Sorry to chime in here - I just received a notification of this thread...

What emteec said before makes a lot of sense - the GUID being blocked here *is* related with Internet Explorer associations - where OA most probably blocked on the shell\open\command registry key (where it registers it under) as "autorun".

There was indeed a change during this KB2957689 update to there afaik. I can't check my history logs here unfortunately, since I temporary uninstalled and reinstalled OA, but imho, I believe that's the cause.

I just met this problem again, with:

KB2976627 - Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 8.1 for x64-based systems

error: 800F0922   (as before)

The fix did apply ok after I first disabled EAM & OA & rebooted.  One has to be careful to remember to re-enable things afterwards!  

Having this problem is a nuisance though.  The initial failures happened when I was trying to apply a whole set of fixes and when Windows Update unrolled the (I think) only one that really had failed, it took off twelve other fixes which had also needed a restart.  I chose to be cautious and apply those one by one so had an extra 12 restarts to do before I finally found that KB2976627 had been the culprit.   I'd like to know if Emsisoft have made any progress in fixing this problem.

Some of the subsystems required to verify the digital signature of the update aren't loaded when the change is made, so we can't make sure that the change is made by a legitimate update or not and end up denying it. We are working on it.

Every month I need to go through the hassle of stopping EAM and OA to get IE's latest fix to apply, then restarting things.  

It's getting annoying, mainly because it needs a pair of reboots beforehand, plus the one for the fix itself, plus a couple

afterwards to get everything back to normal... assuming that all goes well.

What progress has been made to solve this?

Presumably every Win8 user of EAM has this problem; I wonder why so few people have commented in the thread.  I apply fixes manually though - which is probably fairly unusual.  What happens with people who have Windows performs updates by magic overnight etc?

I imagine that a lot of people don't realize that Online Armor is the source of the problem when the Windows Update fails.

It's somewhat disappointing that after 6 months there still doesn't appear to be a fix in sight.

Disappointing is right.   

But if lots of other users have the same problem, and don't know it's OA, does that mean they're not patching IE?    Maybe that just means they never use IE; I hardly ever do...   but IE is (or used to be) heavily integrated with the rest of the OS, and I'm not sure that all the updates to IE only affect its use as a browser.

Presumably every Win8 user of EAM has this problem;

They aren't. Neither EAM nor EIS users are affected by the issue. Only Online Armor users are and based on our statistics, given the conversion offer to convert EAM and OA to EIS there aren't that many Online Armor users on Windows 8.1 left. In fact everyone who ever approached us about this problem participates in this thread. So while I understand that the problem is annoying for you, other problems that affect more users are prioritized higher.

Oops: when I typed EAM, I meant OA.

Your answer is interesting though in another way...    I didn't convert from EAM+OA to EIS, simply because at the time the offer came out I did not have time and energy to spend learning the ins and outs of a third product.  

And some time aqfter that I'm sure I read in a post on these forums somewhere that Emsisoft don't actually think that every EAM+OA user should change to EIS... but that wasn't at all clear in the original offer / description of EIS.  So I wonder if everyone who did make the change actually did so for the right reason.

If on the other hand you're effectively saying that - due to many fewer users using EAM + OA - that support for the separate products is going to fade away, I think you should make that quite clear to existing users.  It would also help if there was a really good explanation somewhere of the differences between what one can do with EAM+OA, and EIS, and what one cannot do with EIS that one previously may have done with EAM+OA, for those of us who need it spelled out.

there aren't that many Online Armor users on Windows 8.1 left.

Interesting.  In other threads it has been stated that no decision has been made as to whether OA will continue to be developed.  However, getting the strong feeling that OA's days are numbered.

I agree that if you aren't going to continue supporting & developing OA then you should let us know - we have paid for the product after all.

It should also be noted that this problem is more than a simple annoyance.

We still want to wait how user numbers work out. So no decision has been made yet. Online Armor still has quite a big user base on older systems like Windows XP for example. If we make a decision, we will publish it ASAP. We most likely won't drop support immediately either but will continue to provide support for a while as we did with Online Armor ++ for example.

there aren't that many Online Armor users on Windows 8.1 left.

i just switched back from EIS to the compination of OA and EA, because EIS was continuing to giving me hard tmes, since it used to freeze alot, when trying to edit Application-Rules or Firewall-Options.

Also EIS dont offer as many conroll on Firewall-Options as OA does, it not even have an Overview of Firewall, and blocking Programs dont work as efficient as in OA.

So i really really hope the support and devel of OA will be continued.

Also EIS dont offer as many conroll on Firewall-Options as OA does

It actually offers a lot more firewall related options. The firewall aspect of Online Armor has never been that good. The problem is that it tries to hide a lot of the complexity of rule based packet filtering behind cute dialogs like "Restricted Ports". The problem with that approach though is that flexibility is severely limited in Online Armor.

it not even have an Overview of Firewall

We may add a connection window in the future. However, requests for it have been sparse at best so it does not have a high priority.