ExWoomera

Emsisoft AM 9 blocks Hyper-V Virtual Machine Connection

product: emsisoft anti-malware 9.0.0.4103

issue: when try to open hyper-v virtual machine connection it doesnt fully load and freeze. have to force close it. there are no application rules for the program in the product and it cannot be created for it.

when i try to add a new application rule and browse to windows/system32 theres no such file as vmconnect.exe but it doesnt exist in file explorer. i also cant type the file path when creating a new rule, for example if i type "C:\Windows\System32\vmconnect.exe" and hit ok nothing happens, window closes and no new rule gets created.

solution: a soon as i pause EAM protection and i click on vmconnect it opens up normally.

On seeing your post, with the new release of EAM 9 installed on Windows Server 2012 r2 x64, I particularly logon to my home workstation through Remote Desktop Connection as a standard user,

then I raised the privilege to Admin and tried to use the Hyper-V Remote Desktop Connection as a local user.

The window popped up, I select the guest OS, connect, the bottom right showed a pop up from EAM 9 saying that it was trying to verify if the program is alright, after a few seconds it disappears and the Hyper-V connection windows loaded properly and I could login to my guest OS (running Debian 7).

In which it does seem not an EAM issue, unless you actually blocked it. Maybe tedious but you are suggested to uninstall EAM to see if that same problem persisted.

since i have already mentioned that pausing protection fixes it then im positive that uninstalling it will have the same effect :D

so the real weird thing is that it doesnt even let me create a rule for the exe file. its like it doesnt even accept that it exists.

• Upvote 1

Sorry that if I actually missed about the pausing protection fix, that's weird. :blink:

I did have some experience Emsi blocking without any notification, and that happens when I was using Online Armor and set it to advanced mode. Did you leave everything default? Some manual setting could lead to a more serious protection that turns out to be annoying, anyway I hope you would find a fix soon. ;)

when i try to add a new application rule and browse to windows/system32 theres no such file as vmconnect.exe but it doesnt exist in file explorer. i also cant type the file path when creating a new rule, for example if i type "C:\Windows\System32\vmconnect.exe" and hit ok nothing happens, window closes and no new rule gets created.

Since EAM is a 32bit applications, access to the C:\Windows\System32 is redirected to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 instead. So it is normal that you won't see the vmconnect.exe there. However, you can just type in the following file name into the edit box and skip the file selection dialog:

C:\Windows\Native\vmconnect.exe

This will add the proper rule.

Sorry that if I actually missed about the pausing protection fix, that's weird. :blink:

I did have some experience Emsi blocking without any notification, and that happens when I was using Online Armor and set it to advanced mode. Did you leave everything default? Some manual setting could lead to a more serious protection that turns out to be annoying, anyway I hope you would find a fix soon. ;)

yes its the default except for web protection settings.