John Bull

Emsisoft Emergency Kit Scan Details

I use this kit frequently and  find it a superb standalone scanner which appears to be very thorough.

Could somebody please tell me precisely what elements it scans or preferably list them ? In particular, does it scan for PUP`s and Rootkits ?

Thank you

Could somebody please tell me precisely what elements it scans or preferably list them ? In particular, does it scan for PUP`s and Rootkits ?

Sorry, but such a list would contain literally millions of entries. Most likely your browser would crash trying to parse it. In general EEK finds and removes the very same things EAM does. This does include all kinds of malicious software (like rootkits, viruses, trojans, keyloggers, backdoors, droppers, worms, etc.) as well as all kinds of potentially unwanted programs, if you enabled the PUP detection.

Sorry, but such a list would contain literally millions of entries. Most likely your browser would crash trying to parse it. In general EEK finds and removes the very same things EAM does. This does include all kinds of malicious software (like rootkits, viruses, trojans, keyloggers, backdoors, droppers, worms, etc.) as well as all kinds of potentially unwanted programs, if you enabled the PUP detection.

Thanks, seems good, but HOW do I enable PUP detection ? I cannot find a means of doing it.

EEK asked you during the first start whether you want to enable PUP detection by default for all scans. To check whether you enabled it, you can just go to Scan PC/Custom Scan and check if the option to detect PUPs is enabled by default. If it is, PUP detection is enabled by default for all other scans as well. If you missed to enable PUP detection you can just delete the a2settings.ini file in the EEK Run directory and you will be asked again during the next start.

• Upvote 1

EEK asked you during the first start whether you want to enable PUP detection by default for all scans. To check whether you enabled it, you can just go to Scan PC/Custom Scan and check if the option to detect PUPs is enabled by default. If it is, PUP detection is enabled by default for all other scans as well. If you missed to enable PUP detection you can just delete the a2settings.ini file in the EEK Run directory and you will be asked again during the next start.

My sincere thanks, I reckon you have answered my query perfectly and very promptly

I like EEK, it seems very thorough indeed. I use it as a sweeper on a random manual basis.

My main AV is AVG 2014 and I always access my Chrome browser by Sandboxie.. 

John

On the matter of PUP`s, MBAM came up with 80 PUP`s on my system, yet Emsisoft, AV 2014 and SuperAntiSpyware come up with none.

This is ludicrous, it just cannot be logical or acceptable. Either there are PUP`s or there are none. You just cannot have 3 respectable AV programs saying there are none and ONE saying there are 80.

My conclusion is that MBAM are hyper-sensitive on what they call a PUP. They were all tabbed "no threat" in any case. A total waste of users time and raising unnecessary concern, especially to those users who are not all that knowledgeable.

I have dumped MBAM and have no intention of crossing its path again. Waste of time. I get an infinitely better result with EEK.

What are the Emsisoft experts views on this  PUP fiasco ?

Keep in mind that the definition of PUP isn't set in stone. So there are great variances between what is considered a PUP and what isn't between vendors. Since this does concern detections from a third part company, I suggest contacting their support to check whether the PUP detections are legitimate or not.

Keep in mind that the definition of PUP isn't set in stone. So there are great variances between what is considered a PUP and what isn't between vendors. Since this does concern detections from a third part company, I suggest contacting their support to check whether the PUP detections are legitimate or not.

Fabian,

I have been in touch with the MBAM people and it is a waste of time. I am not going back for another dose. I think what I said in my post is sufficient for me. If Emsisoft and the other two reputable programs do not pick up this army of PUP`s that have invaded my poor PC, then my worries are a big fat zero. The only PUP`s I care about have four legs and yap.