sitedrifter

Windows 8 and 8.1 problems

I am running the latest version, 7.0.0.1866 and you have still yet to fix Windows Update being blocked and having to run OA in LEARNING mode to allows Windows updates.

I have reported this issues since version 6.x.x.xxxx and you still have not fixed it.

Is it time to dump OA or will EMSISOFT stop thinking they OWN the OS and fix their software to allow Windows Update. If you don't your OA is putting my computer in harms way but not allowing automatic updates of the operating system!

The biggest issue is, that during boot Online Armor can't query the user whether he wants to allow certain changes that Windows updates may do or not. As a consequence it opts to not allow any changes just to be safe unless you put Online Armor into learning mode which essentially tells Online Armor changes are okay for the time being. We are currently evaluating several options to improve that behavior, but no final decision has been made yet.

All other firewall vendors I have tried do not have this issue and Online Armor has had this issue for many months yet it still not corrected. Online Armor opts to be safe however, it is to the contrary as it leaves your OS in a vulnerable state where most people will never know!

The problem in this case is not the firewall. It's the HIPS. We are looking into ways of fixing this particular issue without sacrificing security, but there is no ETA for a fix yet.

Frankly, the solution is simple.  Turn off automatic updates, then when you want to update, put OA in learning mode and do the update.  I've done it that  way for years with OA and other HIPS.  Just not that big a deal in my opinion.

Pete