haiku

How much memory should a2service.exe require ?

I have just rebooted my PC and find - using Process Explorer - that a2service is using 500,436 K,

I also note that the memory usage is climbing.

This doesn't sound right to me.

Kind regards

-- haiku

Which memory usage is your value referring to? There are different memory metrics that Process Explorer can display, each having different meanings. In general about 550 - 600 MB of "Private Bytes" is normal, of which about 250 - 300 are usually kept in memory as part of the "Private Working Set" unless the memory optimization is enabled. Both values will stay relatively steady as long as no scanning is going on. Once the service starts scanning files, memory usage will vary quite a lot mostly due to the fact that the file content is mapped into the service's virtual memory, but will eventually drop back to those aforementioned values.

Hi Fabian -

I have brushed up on my understanding of  'private bytes' and find that I was half-right <sigh>

That said, I have noted that - over time - the figure increases, which may be an indication of a memory leak. 

Many thanks

haiku

Increases to which amount? In general increases are normal in a way. Regular database updates that in general will increase the amount of signatures will ultimately lead to a natural increase of memory usage for example. A few figures after hours or even days of usage would be useful to get an idea whether or not that increase is normal or not. Also keep in mind that unless you completely white listed the process that Process Explorer dropped on your system, the mere act of watching the memory usage of the service will cause behavior blocker activity in the service and therefore the memory usage to increase. If you want to avoid that, you will first have to copy the 64bit executable that Process Explorer drops on your system and add that file to the white-list (File Guard, Manage White-list, make sure the type is set to "Process"). Then run the 64bit Process Explorer executable directly.