JPBrooke

Idiot question of the day, plus one concern...

Dear All at Emsisoft & Forum members,

Firstly the stupid questin of the day. There are all sorts of things that are tiled "Kernel..." What is a "Kernel" I've been told but it's never fixed into my ever decreasing barin! If someone could tell me in plain (British) English I'd be a happy bunny.

Secondly & perhaps more seriously. Everytime I log onto an important site; here, my banking & Ebay etc I ALWAYS get a "Not Responding" message, no matter if I'm using IE or the latest Firefox sit. Should I worry, or is it that my PC's not had it's morning tea?

I would be VERY grateful if any replys posted could also be forwarded yo my yahoo email:

email address removed by moderator to avoid spamming 

as there have been occasions when I've missed help on this site as I was naievly thinking I'd get a message on my email as well.

With Kindest Regards,

Joshua Brooke. A disabled non-computer expert to put it politely.

Hi Joshua,

There are no stupid questions, only unclear answers. :) Thanks for asking this, I think a number of people have the same question. Real simplified the OS kernel is that part of the operating system (Windows) that interacts directly with the hardware attached to a computer (your hard disk, video card, network card and so on). 

A kernel driver is a driver that talks directly with this hardware. If you, as Windows user want to see whats on your hard disk in a certain folder, you don't have kernel access, that would be a waste of system resources and could cause system instability. You tell Windows "hey, can you please tell me whats on my hard disk in this location?". Windows then tells the kernel driver (or in some cases drivers) "hey, user Joshua asks whats on the hard disk in location X". It will then report the results back to you, the user. 

Of course this is cutting it really, really short, there is a lot more to it  but hopefully it gives you a bit of insight of what the kernel is in layman's terms. You can read more about this here.

Secondly & perhaps more seriously. Everytime I log onto an important site; here, my banking & Ebay etc I ALWAYS get a "Not Responding" message, no matter if I'm using IE or the latest Firefox sit. Should I worry, or is it that my PC's not had it's morning tea?

Unfortunately this isn't as easily to answer. Do you get this only for sites that are used for online transactions? Or also for other websites? 

To get email notifications for replies to this topic, make sure you have enabled "Auto follow topics I reply to" in your forum settings and set the frequency to "Immediate"

Under "Notification method to use for replies to followed topics" check the box under "Email"