guit30

I was reading about Emsisoft really being Anti virus programs

Hi,

I have Emsisoft installed as an Anti Malware program. I was reading about it being a 2 level Anti-virus program, I have Norton NIS installed as my anti virus, and I was hoping to use Emsisofts AM and possibly a free AV to replace Norton NIS as it is 79 dollars a year, Norton has very good 24 hr support where you can chat with someone and they will take care of any problem you have. Emsisoft has removed a lot of Windows and Microsoft legitimate programs, during real time protection. It doesn't get anything when it does a scan, except the first time I used it. I know you guys try, but your support is not good, there is no way to talk to someone. I don't know what to do at this time, only have about a week of your service left, did not get a full month. My Norton runs out at Sept 5, trying to save money as I am on Disability.

Jim

PS- Windows control panel says that I have 2 AV programs running which you are only supposed to have one. Slows things down. I have real time protection turned off now and am doing scans once a day,

Hi Jim,

I think you heard this from me in your topic at BleepingComputer here. :)

I already explained there what the support options there, but about the following:

Emsisoft has removed a lot of Windows and Microsoft legitimate programs, during real time protection. It doesn't get anything when it does a scan, except the first time I used it.

If you can let me know what legit programs have been blocked, I can look into this.

As for not doing anything when it does a scan (I suspect you mean compared to the detections in the real time protection), this is because EAM does not only use signature detections (scan a file and see if it is good or bad), it also monitors behavior of running processes and when it encounters a suspicious behavior it will alert you (which does not mean that the file that initiates this behavior is automatically bad).

Windows control panel says that I have 2 AV programs running which you are only supposed to have one. Slows things down. I have real time protection turned off now and am doing scans once a day,

This is correct, Emsisoft is as much a stand-alone AV as Norton is. I'm a bit surprised you notice a slowdown as Emsisoft products are actually tested extensively so that they can be run together with other AV programs without causing conflicts, I'm running it for years as my only AV and never have noticed any problem with the stable versions (easy for me to say of course, but I actually run this on computers that I use to download malware, meaning I need to be able to rely on my AV to protect me against mis-clicks :)). 

As for the effectiveness of EAM, I really only can recommend you to look at some independent testing results

• Upvote 1

Elise,

I already read that, part of reason that I put it back on my computer. I have been using Bleeping computer for a couple of years, Quietman has been a big help to me. He uses ESET for his AV, and he leaves disabled versions of your program and also free MBAM for Anti malware. Someone, maybe you, told me that Norton NIS and EMsisoft AM do not get along very well together. I am not real computer savy, so I need stuff that work well, and have support. NIS is 79 dollars a year and Emsisoft is only 39 dollars a year. I really do not understand why Emsisoft advertises itself as an anti malware program, when it really is an antivirus device. I do believe it is a very effective anti virus program, I'm thinking about using it as my anti virus and maybe MBAM as my AM. OR getting a cheaper Norton, like Norton ANTi Virus and using mbam as my AM. What do you think about these options, plus, it is great to know that EMsisoft has support on Bleeping Compuyer.

Thanks Elise

JIm

Antivirus is an obsolete term.

Malware includes viruses, worms, trojan horses, ransomware, spyware, adware, scareware and other malicious programs.

Therefore, almost all security products are in fact Antimalware, not only Antiviruses.

I really am not the best person to advice you on anything related to Norton. I have done years of online computer support (check out BC :)) even before I worked for Emsisoft and have troubleshooted too many computers that had serious problems due to norton (either malware removal gone wrong or the application causing serious performance issues). 

Note that this is my personal opinion, based on my own experience with Norton software. This is Emsisoft's support forum, so of course we'd like to recommend using Emsisoft products, but I'm not someone who has tunnelvision when it comes to recommending a security product and I respect everyone's right to using whatever security solution they prefer and/or have good experience with. :)