johnwrites

New version will not start on Vista

When i updated on my vista it would not start. said missing a dll, a framewrork?

So i tried to downlod a fresh copy and it is 167 MB? For the free one that is 5MB on my computer.

I mean the  free one that is portable and does not need installation

Not sure what you mean by that. here are screnshots

1 says i do not have the file  and it will not work proerly without it

2 shows I have  the file

It opens but cannot contact update server

I do not like the way joing the emsisoft anti malware network  is pretickedand do not like the newsletter drop down cannot be disabled so i think it wil so be going off my computer. these things shopuld not be preticked i know how to find them if i want. if ihadn't it means i don't want

post-24914-0-90170600-1408799679_thumb.jpg
Download Image

post-24914-0-27549300-1408799732_thumb.jpg
Download Image

I answered to your complaint about it being 167MB large.

It is a complete archive that you extract/run.

5MB is an amount of memory consumption.

I answered to your complaint about it being 167MB large.

It is a complete archive that you extract/run.

5MB is an amount of memory consumption.

OH  I see thanks. I did not remember it being a big file last time.

Got it working, think nI blocked with firewallby mistake

http://blog.emsisoft.com/2014/08/19/new-version-of-the-popular-free-virus-scanner-emsisoft-emergency-kit-9-available-2-2/?ref=newsbox_news140819&utm_source=software&utm_medium=newsbox&utm_content=news140819&utm_campaign=newsbox_news140819

Not true it is the only scanner that works with out internet as at above

My av wll scan without being connected as will several. They wil not have latest defs. Neither will EEK  have lates defs  if no internet connection available

Not true it is the only scanner that works with out internet as at above

My av wll scan without being connected as will several. They wil not have latest defs. Neither will EEK  have lates defs  if no internet connection available

The EEK can be updated on another computer and moved to the computer you want to scan using a USB flash drive or a CD, whereas that is not possible with most scanners.

The EEK can be updated on another computer and moved to the computer you want to scan using a USB flash drive or a CD, whereas that is not possible with most scanners.

It is possible with norton antivirus. The defs can be downloaded as a package on another computer and installed to the AV. I do it when reinstalling NAV to avoid going online with outdated defs to update

You say not possible on most scanners. The page i linked yesterday says eek is the only scanner that can do that. Wrong

You say not possible on most scanners. The page i linked yesterday says eek is the only scanner that can do that. Wrong

Actually the blog you linked to says:

The only free 100% portable dual-scanner (antivirus + anti-malware) that requires no installation or Internet.

Which is true. There are no free and portable dual-scanner products out there besides EEK. In case of Norton it is also true that by default Norton Anti-Virus does not provide the same protection without a connection to the internet even if the local definitions are up-to-date. Symantec decided to only ship a fraction of their signatures to the user. According to them the signatures stored on your system only include the latest threats that were seen in the wild in the past couple of months. The entire signature database is only available in the cloud. So without access to the cloud, you are essentially using a limited subset of signatures.