ruirib

Is it fair to say that EIS (whatever is the version number as it is hidden) just adds a firewall to EAM?

As stated by the title, is it fair to say that?

If so, what advantages does EIS (whatever the version number is) bring when compared to an EAM + OA combo? And while you are at it, would you state the disadvantages, from the perspective of the manufacturer?

I am running the new EIS version, but seeing the almost complete lack of control over the firewall and the apparent loss of the HIPS features, I am wondering whether i jumped the gun, when I upgraded my licenses. That's obviously my fault, of course, but I would still like to know your opinion on the questions above.

Thank you.

I liked the two seperate programs.Malware,and Armor. And knew my way around Hips.

My question is,does the New EIS give me the same level of protection,as the two seperate progs

Thanks

Andrew

I liked the two seperate programs.Malware,and Armor. And knew my way around Hips.

My question is,does the New EIS give me the same level of protection,as the two seperate progs

Thanks

Andrew

In a way, I am trying to get definitive answers to that. It seems that EIS doesn't do that. There is no whitelist of allowed programs, so the HIPS part seems to be gone. The firewall may be better and clearly the interface seems simpler, but it is a lot less informative. If first impressions are confirmed, I think EIS is clearly different from EAM + OA and it provides one less layer in terms of protection. To be honest, I find the offer to upgrade EAM + OA to EIS to be a bit deceptive, as it implies the packages are identical in function. I found the program whitelist was the OA feature I valued the most and that seems to be lost in EIS.

OA is not abandoned and you can continue to use EAM+OA combo.

EIS does not have HIPS module so non-tech folks do not get confusing popups.

The firewall in EIS is actually a lot more powerful than what is implemented in Online Armor. Siketa already mentioned the IPv6 support, but it allows for much more fine grained rules and control over what happens with your network traffic overall. As a result EIS is a lot more flexible and a lot of setups that were problematic before, like network bridging or VPNs, are properly supported now.

The HIPS has always been problematic for most of our users. Given ideal circumstances and perfect answers, the HIPS may be able to prevent an infection that bypasses the behavior blocker. However, the knowledge required to actually make the correct decision for every application every single time is way beyond what the vast majority of our current customer base has. Quite frankly you could argue that if they were that knowledgeable they long reached a point where any kind of security software becomes redundant. So given the exceptionally steep learning curve that any HIPS comes with, it was pretty much obvious that we would drop it in favor of the behavior blocker.

If you prefer EAM+OA over EIS, nobody is forcing to you do the switch. Even if you already converted your license, just send our support an email and they can convert it back. We currently don't have plans to discontinue Online Armor or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as standalone products.

Thank you for that reply, Fabian. I appreciate the candor, which I have seen in past replies, as well.

My reason to use EAM and OA is to get a double layer, security wise. I am honest, and if I had to go with a single one, I would go with OA instead of EAM, for the simple reason that OA, in what regards HIPS features, is based on whitelisting and I really don't know of a more effective way to fight unknown malware. As good as behavior detection may be, even recent results show that it's not without failures. By going with the new EIS, even with a better firewall, the best OA feature, malware fighting wise, is effectively lost.

I will be contacting support to reverse my decision to convert my EAM + OA licenses in EIS. I do hope you continue to improve OA, as I find the firewall a bit lacking. I guess for the time being I may resort to EAM + OA with no firewall and the native Windows firewall.

Thank you again.

Thank you Fabian.I will merge licenses and give the new package a try.Do i need to uninstall OA and EAM before install EIS ?

You will have to uninstall both before you are able to install EIS. In addition, before you do the merge, I suggest you take advantage of the trial version first. May save you some hassle if it turns out you don't like it like ruirib.