DeezNutz

Cannot connect to HMA VPN via PPTP after upgrade

I just merged my licenses and upgraded Internet Security to the new all-in-one package. I use Hide My Ass VPN

and had no problems til this upgrade. I can connect via OpenVPN but not PPTP.

Nope, it just keeps trying to connect and retries. I've kept the automatic rule setting on allow, and set it to ask but nothing came up.

I even uninstalled HMA and reinstalled it with no luck.

** also why is it more of a hassle to block applications from the internet now?

and is there a way to save a custom template so I don't have to keep manually doing the same thing to every app

I want to block internet access to?

Thanks DeezNutz,

I will try to get a trial and test it tonight on my test systems and let you know whether it works there or not. 

Why do you think blocking has become harder? Just click block instead of allow when EIS asks you about the new connection. You can also change the default rules under Protection/Firewall/Automatic rule settings.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Yeah but the program would have to run first in order to block it, I'd much rather take care of them before they ran but that's a pain now.
Anyways that's the least of my worries at the moment ;)

Hey good news, I uninstalled EIS and reinstalled it and now am able to connect to HMA via PPTP. I think there might have been a problem

when I imported my previous rules for Anti-Malware, cause I ran HMA and got a few connection request that I didn't recieve previously.

Now it works fine.

Thanks anyway!

When you import EAM rules into EIS all network connections for the imported applications are blocked automatically. That is because EAM does not have a concept of network rules and we prefer to be better safe than sorry. Glad it worked out well for your though :).

Ok I don't know what happened but I left my computer on over night and apparently there was a connection request that I didn't get to for hours.
Think it was wininit.exe (not sure, had mole eyes) anyways I allowed it and HMA wasn't able to connect but I figured it was just due to the connection hang so I restarted but then wasn't able to connect via PPTP again. I also noticed that before restarting EIS blocked a connection

to (something).cloudfront.net, which EIS has those rules built in. Anyways I'm at a lose, I uninstalled EIS thinknig I must have blocked something

or messed up a firewall rule but no luck, I had some trouble once reinstalled. I'm again able to connect via OpenVPN but not PPTP.

Okay, I will try it out again tonight as I originally planned to do before you said it was working fine again. Can you please export your Surf Protection, Behavior Blocker, and Firewall logs and send them to [email protected]? That would be quite helpful. Thanks.

Too late for that. EIS and HMA caused me a lot of trouble today. I uninstalled HMA to try to reinstall it so EIS would alert me for connections
 but this time something went wrong, there was a problem during the install of HMA and after that I wasn't able to connect to the internet at all. I tried everything, but since it was about that time to do a fresh install of Windows, I figured what the hell and did just that. But, even after a fresh install of Windows and without importing my EAM rules, EIS still blocks PPTP with HMA. OpenVPN is fine. So I have no doubt you'll come across the same problem if you went ahead with the test yourself.

So just a quick update, I uninstalled EIS and kept HMA on using PPTP while I reinstalled EIS. As soon as I install EIS, HMA loses connection (PPTP) but after EIS is installed PPTP is allowed to connect but after I restart my pc I'm not able to connect using PPTP.

I just set up my own PPTP network and it does work just fine without any additional manual configuration. I have also contacted HMA and asked for a trial account, as it doesn't look like they offer trial accounts. Hopefully they can provide me with a test account so I can test with their software.

HMA doesn't want to provide me a trial. So there is unfortunately no way for me to test their software. The only thing that could remotely block it is the default "Block Windows services (TCP)" rule. It does block incoming connections to port 1723. But usually the PPTP connection will be an outgoing connection. However, you can try to remove the port from the list of ports in the rule.