Sign in to follow this  
queenslander

What's with the 30 day free trial and Banking Mode?

I used to have OAP for about 5 years (I think).

Then because

a) I didn't keep an eye on when it expired      and

b) there was no warning from the program that expiry was getting close

It defaulted to the free version.

Then yesterday when I booted up the old machine the free OA didn't load. So loaded it from the "All programs" list. As I kept getting the 30 day free trial prompt, I deleted OA, rebooted twice, then went to the Emsisoft web site to reload the free version.

Couldn't find a download link, anywhere, then by chance happened to notice at the end of the page that OA defaults to the 30 day free trial anyway.

That could have been put somewhere more obvious to limit the amount of time wasted looking for the free version download link.

Ok, so loaded it.

Today I wanted to go to my bank site, and activated BM. First attempt the bank site wouldn't load. Second attempt, bank site loaded but the account log in screen wouldn't load.

Third attempt - turn off BM, and it all worked as it should.

So what the ......... is going on with OA. Not that I care much because I am actively looking for an alternative to go to before the end of the 30 days as OA is not a patch on the TALL EMU version of manyt years ago.

The thread about "Domains in v7" totally destroyed my faith in the security of BM (trusts all sites listed in Favourites - what a farce)

Couldn't find a download link, anywhere, then by chance happened to notice at the end of the page that OA defaults to the 30 day free trial anyway.

That could have been put somewhere more obvious to limit the amount of time wasted looking for the free version download link.

There has been a combined setup for several years.

Today I wanted to go to my bank site, and activated BM. First attempt the bank site wouldn't load. Second attempt, bank site loaded but the account log in screen wouldn't load.

Third attempt - turn off BM, and it all worked as it should.

I assume you went through the entire learning process? Added the bank to the Domains list, right clicked it, learned it, logged in to the banking site during learning and clicked on most of the available options so Online Armor can get an idea of which servers and domains it needs to trust to make banking mode operational.

The thread about "Domains in v7" totally destroyed my faith in the security of BM (trusts all sites listed in Favourites - what a farce)

BM does not trust all sites in your Favorites. It trusts all sites that you access while you learn a new bank domain. Your browser may pre-load your favorites during the learning period, which may cause your favorites to be accessible in banking mode as well. That is not an Online Armor issue though.