Sign in to follow this  
alexanderG

Online Armor update...?

Have not tried out Emsisoft Internet Security yet (I do not have a license) but I do have OA Premium with me.

I see that there is no update from the last version 7.0.0.1866. I aslo see here that in the new Emsisoft Internet Security the core firewall has been re-written differently from OA. Some questions if I may:

OA has a free version, will the new firewall have a free version too..?

Is Emsisoft going to make a standalone firewall as successor to OA Premium...?

As of the moment I like the HIPS of OA(but is nearing it's license end). It's very good when I wanna block some activity that some applications tend to circumvent. If the HIPS feature will not be incorporated in the new firewall, is Emsisoft gonna make a new one or make the HIPS a standalone application in the future?

I read here that HIPS seems to be not-needed by the normal user but I read here that the behavioral blocker only alerts the user when it senses a behavior in between the allowed or blocked. And that if the file reputation of the application is generally okay based on it's acceptance by a large number of people, no alerts will also be seen. (It's quite old and I do not know if it's relevant still.)

http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/14339-emsisoft-anti-malware-and-emsisoft-internet-security-90-public-beta/page-3

Image Burn is mentioned there, I use it when I make ISO's but I also know that it tends to want to connect to home whenever you run it. It wants to update frequently like other freeware out there. Now since it is mentioned there that due to it's file reputation....the behavioral blocker will allow any outgoing connections of Image Burn, yes?

That is likely the default category EIS will put ImageBurn in as well due to file's reputation (lots of our users use the application, almost all of them allowed it, over a long period of time no suspicious activity was observed).

So how can we control that kind of behavior? Of a legit-generally-accepted-application but always want to connect to the internet without my permission? Oftentimes my internet is slow and if there are applications that connect silently to home without me knowing it so I can terminate it then it may hog the bandwidth. I also am thinking of my kids..i usually restrict some of their applications by the HIPS...

Just asking so I'd have a grasp as to what I will do..to renew or move on...

OA has a free version, will the new firewall have a free version too..?

No, there won't be a free version of EIS.

Is Emsisoft going to make a standalone firewall as successor to OA Premium...?

No. Online Armor is the standalone firewall product and it is not discontinued. So why make a new standalone firewall to replace the standalone firewall?

As of the moment I like the HIPS of OA(but is nearing it's license end). It's very good when I wanna block some activity that some applications tend to circumvent. If the HIPS feature will not be incorporated in the new firewall, is Emsisoft gonna make a new one or make the HIPS a standalone application in the future?

Same thing: Online Armor is the standalone HIPS, so why make a new standalone HIPS product to replace it?

Image Burn is mentioned there, I use it when I make ISO's but I also know that it tends to want to connect to home whenever you run it. It wants to update frequently like other freeware out there. Now since it is mentioned there that due to it's file reputation....the behavioral blocker will allow any outgoing connections of Image Burn, yes?

That depends on your default rule settings. By default, ImageBurn will most likely be allowed to access the Internet. That is true for Online Armor as well by the way. Both EIS as well as Online Armor allow you to change the default behavior though. So in Online Armor you can disable the option to automatically allow applications that we trust to access the internet. A similar option exists in EIS.

No, there won't be a free version of EIS.

No. Online Armor is the standalone firewall product and it is not discontinued. So why make a new standalone firewall to replace the standalone firewall?

Same thing: Online Armor is the standalone HIPS, so why make a new standalone HIPS product to replace it?

That depends on your default rule settings. By default, ImageBurn will most likely be allowed to access the Internet. That is true for Online Armor as well by the way. Both EIS as well as Online Armor allow you to change the default behavior though. So in Online Armor you can disable the option to automatically allow applications that we trust to access the internet. A similar option exists in EIS.

Thank you for the quick reply.

Sorry to confuse you. I was asking about Online Armor Free version and not EIS.

Again sorry to confuse you. What I meant was, "is Emsisoft going to make a standalone firewall based on the EIS firewall (as successor to OA Premium" -- can delete that).

Online Armor is not discontinued...the last release date was : 10/15/2013...soon it will be a year...will it be updated?