rm22

OA changing advanced sharing settings

I've been trying out OA free version for the last few months. It seems OA is changing my advanced sharing settings - prior to installing OA i had 'network discovery' and 'file and printer sharing' turned off for 'public' and 'file and printer sharing' turned off for 'home/work'. However, when OA firewall is turned on these settings all automatically change to 'on'. If i then turn OA firewall off and turn windows firewall back on, the settings change back to what they should be. If i change these settings back to 'off' while OA firewall is turned on then they remain off for a few minutes and then automatically turn back on.

my OS is windows 7 64bit sp1 home premium. The pc is malware free.

i have seen  this same problem posted for several different firewalls, including OA, but haven't been able to find a solution other than turning the firewall off and using windows firewall - which is what i've been doing using public wifi.

is there a known solution for this issue?

The problem is most likely the way most firewalls including OA interact with the Windows firewall. More precisely: How they stop it. We will look into it, but there is no ETA for a fix yet.

The problem is most likely the way most firewalls including OA interact with the Windows firewall. More precisely: How they stop it. We will look into it, but there is no ETA for a fix yet.

thanks for the reply - i found this post on technet which explains a bit more, but can't i just shut down the associated services manually?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/742dcc69-d28e-46a3-bf39-f13f912377a6/how-to-disable-firewall-as-well-as-file-and-printer-sharing?forum=w7itpronetworking#742dcc69-d28e-46a3-bf39-f13f912377a6

Did you already go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections, right click on your Network adapter and untick File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks like in the screenshot below? If you didn't then untick it, and click ok. Then reboot.  Then try turning off File, and printer sharing from Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings. Let me know if that works. I've had the same issue you are having now. My file, and printer sharing are currently disabled with Windows FW disabled.

post-2846-0-68793100-1411368536_thumb.jpg
Download Image

thanks for the reply - i found this post on technet which explains a bit more, but can't i just shut down the associated services manually?

The way these options work is that they enable or disable rules in the Windows firewall. They don't disable the underlying services. If the Windows firewall is stopped, the rules are gone so those options are enabled again. Online Armor does restrict access to those ports automatically, as most other firewalls do, so there isn't really a need to bother with those options at all. You can also disable the services globally for a certain network adapter using the steps cutting_edgetech outlined.

Did you already go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections, right click on your Network adapter and untick File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks like in the screenshot below? If you didn't then untick it, and click ok. Then reboot.  Then try turning off File, and printer sharing from Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings. Let me know if that works. I've had the same issue you are having now. My file, and printer sharing are currently disabled with Windows FW disabled.

i did untick that at some point while i was testing - i just repeated the tests just to double check that i had it unticked before and the results are almost the same.. it's requiring a reboot for the settings to chnge to 'on' now

also, i'm curious as to why you're using Appguard when you have OA - i've not tied Appguard since i was under the impression that it's main functionality - execution control - is covered by OA

The way these options work is that they enable or disable rules in the Windows firewall. They don't disable the underlying services. If the Windows firewall is stopped, the rules are gone so those options are enabled again. Online Armor does restrict access to those ports automatically, as most other firewalls do, so there isn't really a need to bother with those options at all. You can also disable the services globally for a certain network adapter using the steps cutting_edgetech outlined.

wouldn't that mean that the options should have no effect when i'm using OA firewall? if i use OA firewall and turn 'network discovery' off for home/work then i can't access my network printer and my router icon doesn't show up in 'explorer' - at least until 'network discovery' is automatically turned back on.

wouldn't that mean that the options should have no effect when i'm using OA firewall? if i use OA firewall and turn 'network discovery' off for home/work then i can't access my network printer and my router icon doesn't show up in 'explorer' - at least until 'network discovery' is automatically turned back on.

There are two aspects to the discovery. The first is the ability to be discovered by other clients (which is blocked for non-private networks by OA automatically) and the ability to discover other systems on the network. The Windows option disables both, while OA only disables one.

There are two aspects to the discovery. The first is the ability to be discovered by other clients (which is blocked for non-private networks by OA automatically) and the ability to discover other systems on the network. The Windows option disables both, while OA only disables one.

ok - that sounds good - thanks for explaining. so where are these rules if i wanted to change them - hidden i'm assuming since it looks like all services are bundled in one rule 'host process for windows services' or maybe services.exe

If I remember correctly the required ports are not associated with any actual processes as they are opened by the Windows kernel itself. The way those ports are handled are through the restricted ports list, which you can only edit if you put OA into Advanced Mode. There you can theoretically disable the port restriction that filters out all requests from non-trusted connections. I really wouldn't advise that though unless you really want to share your files with literally everyone on your network or even the entire internet if your systems happens to be directly connected to the internet. If you are using the Free version, you don't have access to the Advanced Mode. In that case you can allow single computers in your network to see and access your computer through the Firewall/Computers tab. However, there will be no way to turn those restrictions off completely.

If I remember correctly the required ports are not associated with any actual processes as they are opened by the Windows kernel itself. The way those ports are handled are through the restricted ports list, which you can only edit if you put OA into Advanced Mode. There you can theoretically disable the port restriction that filters out all requests from non-trusted connections. I really wouldn't advise that though unless you really want to share your files with literally everyone on your network or even the entire internet if your systems happens to be directly connected to the internet. If you are using the Free version, you don't have access to the Advanced Mode. In that case you can allow single computers in your network to see and access your computer through the Firewall/Computers tab. However, there will be no way to turn those restrictions off completely.

ok thanks - i think i followed all of that.

back to your previous post - so if i didn't need the discovery features not blocked by OA would it not be more secure to disable the SSDP service (which changes the advanced share setting 'network discovery' to 'off')

i also disabled the server service which changes the advanced sharing setting for 'file and printer sharing' to 'off' - i'd assume this is more secure than just unticking 'file and printer sharing' on the network adapter

If you don't need it, feel free to turn it off. However, I doubt there will be any actual benefits for your security. Most vulnerable are services that wait for incoming connections, which are already taken care by the restricted ports.