jdo

How do I find the version number?

I've found the number of signatures and the license start and end dates but I can't find the version number. Is it available on the overview panel?

It's in the about button (the one with the exclamation (!) icon), under the Logs panel in the Overview page, right below the Follow us button.

Edit ahh never mind. It's also right under the license information in the Overview page.

Thanks for pointing me to the about button. That does show the version number. But I am not seeing it in the license information.

I would expect the version number to appear someplace on the overview page. The logical places would be either updates or license. It didn't appear with updates so I checked license.

BTW, the version number did appear under license after I clicked the "more information" link. That link has now been replaced by "buy renewal".

Given a choice, I would display version number with updates since new versions are sent via the update mechanism.

Never mind, I found the answer to my primary question..

I still want to know why the version number is hidden

Here is where the version number is currently listed..

• Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware by right clicking the icon in the system tray
  • select "Security Overview"
  • Select tab "Logs"
  • Find the most recent entry for:
  •          Component: Core
  •          Action: Protection started
  •          The Details column lists the version number

I know this is an old thread, but, it appears the location of the version has been moved and I am unable to find it.

Any suggestions?  Shouldn't this be easy to find?

Edited by Jimbo
To answer one of the questions asked

I agree with you, but Emsisoft persist in making the info hard to find, and then there's no way to c&p it either.  Open the Security Overview, then click the "Emsisoft" word at the top lefthand corner.

Thanks. I had accidentally clicked there and looked but didn't see the version in the position of a subtitle.  Even looking now, with my eyes, light grey on off-white is difficult to read.

For me, the log was much easier to read.  In addition, the version can be copied by clicking "view details".  To select only the version number required using the arrow and shift keys and not the mouse.

To see the version number you can click on the Emsisoft logo at the top left of the GUI.

If you want the version number to be visible all the time then where it says  'renew for free' under the License Panel, hover over 'renew for free' and you will see an X.

Click it and the build number will be permanently displayed.

•  
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I still want to know why the version number is hidden

Partially because most people don't care, and partially because the available UI space is limited and something needed to be hidden. It's always a difficult choice to decide what users use the least and what is safe to hide and what isn't.

> partially because the available UI space is limited

Really?  You couldn't find room on the systray menu for "About EAM"?    Every other GUI application I use manages to put an "About" option on their menu (if they have one) or visible in their GUI.

Fabian, I agree with you.

Most, not all, software has a help icon/link with the option for help or about.  The about usually lists the version number.

I'm not sure that hitting the update button would provide me the version number which was wanted for a couple of help requests that were opened.  I find it strange anyone would want to see the version numbers all the time, but habits vary!  We used to say vive la différence.  Isn't it sad that about half the world now say you must think like and agree with us or we will unfriend, shun, and scream at you?

How often have you checked the version number of Facebook, Twitter or any other software that is offered as a service? I believe that the only relevant situation when you need to check the version is when you're suspecting that the software isn't updated properly. But then, our software would change to orange mode within a day if updates were skipped. So, if everything is green, you can always be sure you have the latest available version, whatever number that may come with.

We currently have the version number placed in several places: 

- About box (click the Emsisoft logo on left top).

- License tile on overview screen (but here it's overwritten with more important information during trial period and near the license end).

- File properties of a2start.exe, a2guard.exe and a couple more.

> How often have you checked the version number ...

I check version numbers every time I submit a bug report for any piece of software.   I spent a lot of my professional life chasing bug reports with vendors, on behalf of my employer, and some things are fundamental to any such report.

Facebook?  I have the impression there's no point in submitting complaints/reports to them - none I've sent them have ever been replied to or fixed.  Then again, I've not paid money to them for their product.

Haha, yes I can relate to that feeling with Facebook. ;)

I'm thankful for your commitment. Actually, when you submit an email via the Support tile in Emsisoft Anti-Malware, the version number always gets posted in the footer too. 

> Actually, when you submit an email via the Support tile in Emsisoft Anti-Malware ...

But I don't.  I almost always use the forum and when needed PMs.   And if I need to send you files [which I already have in my archive of ongoing issues], I just send you links to the things which are already in Dropbox.

That's why we have the option to remove the "Renew for free!" text on the Overview screen and replace it with the version number. ;)

> That's why we have ...

But you can't c&p that anywhere, so although it's certainly useful for a quick check to see what's running, it doesn't help when starting a discussion here.

Jeremy,

We both agree that using Help > About would match industry "standards".  I do use standards there in the very loosest terms.

However, consider that it can be found ad copied using the log.by clicking "view details".  To select only the version number requires using the arrow and shift keys and not the mouse.

So, it is available and it is copiable.

PS.

I apologize for having revived a three year old post but, personally, when I'm searching for an answer I really don't like reading through numerous posts on the same topic.  In this case the version was no longer where it had been stated so my thought was to update this post with currently accurate information.  A post in the FAQ would also be beneficial, given the situation.

> So, it is available and it is copiable.

Indeed... but not in a place that any average user will stumble over.  That's why this subject comes up over & over again.

On 11/4/2017 at 4:52 AM, JeremyNicoll said:

> That's why we have ...

But you can't c&p that anywhere, so although it's certainly useful for a quick check to see what's running, it doesn't help when starting a discussion here.

But you can copy and paste this:

image.png
Download Image

Arthur, yes, I agree.  And I've noted it.  But it's still not information that's in the sort of place that anyone used to using an application's About option would find by accident. 

It's there since we expect people to look for a way to get help from within the software before visiting our website. They click the option for support, then they click the option to contact us, and they just fill in a form and send us an e-mail.

Arthur, I think it's great that the contact-us email does automatically prefill that text.   But you know better than anyone that lots of people use this forum to report their problems.   If you /expect/ people to use some other route you need to make it clear that the forum is not the place to do it - which personally I think would be sad.

You can contact us via any method you prefer. We just expect that most customers would prefer a quick contact form in the product, and to deal with customer support via e-mail. Especially when it comes to dealing with license issues.

BTW: When I need to copy the version number, I usually just get it off of the changeblog. ;)

8 hours ago, GT500 said:

BTW: When I need to copy the version number, I usually just get it off of the changeblog. ;)

I  guess I'm just old school, I just open up the gui and type it in while looking at my permanently displayed version number on the GUI  :)