Sign in to follow this  
Firzen771

A2 Not Detected by Windows Security Centre

Hi Firzen771,

Please state the OS you are using in the 1st place.

Such information should be important to the developers.

Where you using betas of OA and/or A2?

(there were reports in the past about some trouble with Windows Security Centre (WSC) in conjunction with OA beta, so even uninstalling could bring some surprises.

What version of a2 have you installed now (stable or beta)?

Were there any AV other than a2 Anti-Malware installed whether on-demand or temporarily, etc.?

My regards

P.S. Sure the indication of a2 in WSC should work,...

... but as we discussed previously in our old forum even disabling WSC Service doesn't mean that your system is not protected. The references to the discussions can be provided including the links to MS articles regarding this topic.

ye sorry, forgot to add the info, Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit, only running Zemana Antilogger along with it, no other AV, and its the current stable version of A2.

and ye i realize WSC not identifying it doesnt mean im not protected, but i just like having it all working properly.

Thank you for reply and additional info, Firzen771

While you are waiting for response from developers I would try disabling Zemana or even temporarily uninstalling it.

Needless to say (my personal opinion) - I think that Zemana is redundant by its own in any circumstances, but I'm absolutely sure it is not needed when a-squared Anti-Malware is in place

In addition if you look into Zemana's recent changelog entries like:

- “Improved support for Windows 7”

- “Fixed occasional crash during shutdown"

- etc.

... that would make me think at least trying without it for the sake of carrying pure test,

if I were you.

Cheers!

... Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit, only running Zemana Antilogger along with it, no other AV, and its the current stable version of A2...

Have you tried stoping the "windows management instrumentation" (which in turn should stop the security centre) via services.msc and deleting the directory C:\Windows\system32\wbem\Repsitory

Restart the WMI and Security Centre services,

Re-boot and the repository should be re-built, it might recognise it then!

Worth a shot.

Cheers,

Mattchu

i installed A2 before that Zemana update and it was the same but i might try uninstalling it although im almost positive zemana isnt the problem since ive had it before and it worked fine.

and Mattchu ill give that a shot.

EDIT: Mattchu, i just tried that method and A2 is still not detected.

Firzen771,

Have you asked in Tall Emu forum as well, since that happen after uninstalling OA.

Probably some users there experienced the similar problems ... not necessarily with A2 being not recognized after that.

There could be some leftovers after Firewall uninstallation, which can interfere.

That is not rare thing and sometimes special additional cleaning Tools could be used

How WSC behaves regarding other identifications and current Firewall?

... which is what (?) as a matter of fact

Cheers!

P.S. probably "Clean Uninstall" procedure for a2 would be worth trying as well

im using the stable version (4.5) tho.

Yes - so was I until the beta became publicy available, and I had the same issue then as well.

I never had any issues with the WSC or the Action Center to be honest. Maybe because I only ever used one application that registers there and usually problems with the WSC are caused by leftovers of previously registered applications.

So you may want to do the following:

1. Stop the Windows Management Instrumentation service. You can do so either by using the Services management snap in (services.msc) or by using the following command line:
    sc stop winmgmt

2. Next navigate to "%systemroot%\system32\wbem" and delete or rename the "Repository" directory there. Be sure to only delete or rename the "Repository" directory and nothing else.
  3. Start the service again. Either by using service.msc again or by using the following command lines:
    sc start winmgmt

4. Reboot your PC.

Windows will now rebuild the Repository directory from scratch thereby removing all previous entries of previous registered software.

I realise this is not the best way to do it but i`ve just done it this morning and it worked and asquared is being seen by Action/Security centre.

It requires a uninstall/reinstall so if your on a capped bandwidth or slow connection it may not be the best thing to do. Try at your own discretion.

Start/type in "cmd" and than right click "cmd.exe" and select "run as administrator"

Type in winmgmt /resetrepository

This will reset the repositrory to the initial state when the OS was insatlled. After i did this the results are in picture below.

Now uninstall asquared and re-boot, then re-install asquared. After doing this Action Centre is reporting fine. There is no guarentee this will work on your machine, but it could ;)

All the best,

Mattchu

I didn't know about the parameter. But thanks. I will update our internal documentation accordingly.

You don't have to uninstall a-squared by the way. It should be enough to stop and uninstall the a-squared service using the following commands:

sc stop a2antimalware
"C:\Program Files\a-squared Anti-Malware\a2service.exe" /uninstall /silent /shellextension a2antimalware

If you now start a-squared again the service gets installed and it should register to the WSC just fine.

Thanks, that sorted it out for me too.

I had to perform some additional tasks, though. I had to manually stop the Security Center service and the IP Helper service as both are dependent on the Windows Management Instrumentation service. This applied for both methods quoted for stopping the WMI service (sc stop), and using the /resetrepository switch, otherwise these commands gave errors:

C:\Windows\system32>sc stop winmgmt
[sC] ControlService FAILED 1051:

A stop control has been sent to a service that other running services
are dependent on.

Use services.msc to stop the IP Helper and Security Center services, then you can either stop the WMI service, or use a command prompt for the /resetrepository switch.

Also, after running the A2 command that Fabian quoted, after rebooting my PC the A2 service was not running - starting A2 from the programs menu fixed this (obviously), and subsequent restarts have seen the Security Center recognising A2's status.

My problem was probably caused by the fact that I have had several AV's installed side-by-side. Most recently this included Comodo Anti-Virus. Although Comodo was disabled, the installation seems to have taken precedence and knocked A2 off the top of the pile.

Hi H_D,

Thanks for your input and additional information

Having “leftovers” and even some AVs previously installed “even on-demand”

Were there any AV other than a2 Anti-Malware installed whether on-demand or temporarily, etc.?
was mentioned.
... Also, after running the A2 command that Fabian quoted, after rebooting my PC the A2 service was not running - starting A2 from the programs menu fixed this....

... My problem was probably caused by the fact that I have had several AV's installed side-by-side.

Not "probably", but - definitely. that was pointed in this forum & many other places. When maintaining several AVs we may expect surprises - that may not be trivial and cause issues even if there is one and only , but other(S) are on-demand

Also thanks to Mattchu for the “/resetrepository switch” - that is indeed very interesting

Finally, as an a side note:

Comodo's AV ??? Man! that was some surprise :-) … I know that you are adventurous … gaming & stuff, but I was not sure that you were … for such degree :lol:

Cheers!

haha - yeah - but, only one of them was ever resident, never both at the same time... :)

Sure, but nevertheless - the comments are based on dealing with "WinyDos" - therefore we have 2 remember about that ;)

Cheers!

alright well my problem seems to be half resolved now, i did the resetrepository command and the uninstall A2 service command, rebooted, now A2 is detected fine as Virus Protection in the action centre, but the action centre is still saying i dont have any Spyware protection, A2 previously had been in bath those categories last time i used it.

After a reboot I now see this:

Although Windows Defender realtime scanning options are disabled, A2 certainly is not.

well seeing as i cant seem to figure this out, i decided to go ahead and install the beta version and everything is good to go now, action centre is reporting everything on, and i gotta say this beta is running quite smoothly, good job :)

Hi Guys,

Since I am in a hurry now I will put just a short note in support to what Firzen771 said

well seeing as i cant seem to figure this out, i decided to go ahead and install the beta version and everything is good to go now, action centre is reporting everything on, and i gotta say this beta is running quite smoothly, good job :)

Indeed – good job! And probably more than that :)

Coincidentally after reading Christian's post

I got the beloved Win7 x64 for an hour or so & I performed some “ugly” stuff there :blink: .

The brief:

- a-squared Anti-Malware Beta was installed;

- Avira AV was left but disabled properly ( “the ugly part”... don't do that at home – I know what I was doing);

- despite of the above, which I will test separately, meaning having another on-demand AV) – a-squared Anti-Malware is currently recognized as an active AntiVirus/Anti-Spyware solution (see attached image)

I have all step-by-step images taken & short comments written.

I hope having that PC in possession for a day or two so I can make a “video-instruction” (some stuff may not be obvious on its way for all users) - technically that is not a problem for me.

Finally:

- It seems that there should't be issues with WSC, especially if a2 is the only AV solution from the very beginning;

- my tests, that were at the moment quite short concerning all other new functionality regarding x64 showed correct behaviour “as declared” … but that's a separate topic(s)

Cheers!

Yeah, I had the same problem in VISTA 32-BIT SP1 when I had A2 integrated with Online Aromer++!!

Sometimes, security center considers A2 as an AntiMalware or Antispyware NOT as ANTIVIRUS and some other times considers it as AntiVirus but with turned off status??