Gabbie

Setting auto scans starts multiple a2start.exe instances

I've now experienced this twice:  While trying to set automatic scans from off (when all is working well, incl. MBAM -- both it and EAM fully mutually excluded), a2start.exe suddenly goes crazy, and I can eventually see many instances of it.  Rebooting just continues that craziness.  After the first time, I restored a stable and good pre-Emsisoft/MBAM disk image and then carefully did complete uninstalls of prior AV/AM software, then adding Emsisoft and MBAM -- both memory-resident.  EMET 5.0 is also running, and there have been no problems unless/until I try to schedule EAM auto scans, but yes, EMET is also excluded. 

All has been completely stable, with the exception of not having automatic scans -- I have been doing them manually, and that has worked well.  Then this morning a2start.exe went nuts again while I was still in the Settings window, trying once again to set up an automatic scan (after a deep breath), separating the schedule from MBAM scans by a few hours.  EAM once again launched many instances while I was still in the settings window, freezing my computer.

So, after non-productive reboots, in safe mode -- after considering various brute force approaches -- I went into the a2start.ini file and changed the appropriate auto scan values from 1 to 0, which then allowed me to successfully boot again without EAM going nuts -- and I verified the settings in the GUI once up.  So far, all is well again, and I have NO intention of even trying to set up auto scans again.

However, what I want to know is what in the world could cause it to go completely crazy when trying to set up an automated scan schedule?  There are no Win7 scheduled tasks (only the auto quick scan in MBAM), and there are no other user-initiated processes going on at the time.  This is reminding me of cross-linked files....  but SFC and chkdsk show no errors found.  And this has now happened twice, including after restoring a good, solid disk image.

There is no button I could find to edit my post above, so I'm adding this:  I should have said that as things stand I will not be using scheduled scans, considering the abject failure of prior attempts; please understand I was a bit frustrated.  :wacko:

Also, I am currently using a trial version of EAM, which is set to auto-update, so it should be current.  My system details are as listed on the left.  I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions -- even if it's like the old doctor joke, where the doc tells the patient to "stop doing that" (as in stop trying to do auto scans).  :P

I am accustomed to doing manual scans as a matter of habit, so I'll continue with that unless someone can help pinpoint the problem.  I also should note that Trusteer Rapport was not installed the first time I experienced this issue; I only installed it this time when it looked like everything else was stable. 

That is know problem.  
It appears when you have unchecked all week days.

I went into the a2start.ini file and changed the appropriate auto scan values from 1 to 0

If you change 'Friday=0' to 'Friday=1'. The scheduled scans will become working.

The problem is already fixed. The fix will be available in the next beta.

Thanks for your response, mik.  Indeed I had unchecked the weekdays as part of trying to be careful while adjusting the settings to a preferred day/time and before selecting which day(s).  As I think about it, there's no Apply or OK button, so those changes would take effect immediately.  I'm glad to know it was a software glitch and not something wrong with my computer.  I look forward to the update.  :)