Sign in to follow this  
Guest Spacerfrog

Removing hard to remove (non-malware) software

Guest Spacerfrog

I was wondering if I could use Emsisoft to remove software when the Windows and manufacturer tools fail to properly uninstall the sofware

in the past I had a product called TuneUp for Windows that was very good. This was acquired by AVG and ever since I have had problems. what I need to do is completely uninstall AVG. I am working with their support of course. Still working on it. But I noticed that AVG has been installed in such a way that it is almost like a virus: impossible to delete (no permissions) not even as an administrator

I am just a normal user, not an expert. I find it very discomforting to know that software can apparently be installed on my computer and that I cannot remove it if I want to

if the worst comes to the worst, can I then somehow remove this software without reinstalling Windows

Hi Spacerfrog,

While I completely understand why you're asking this, this is not something Emsisoft products can do. We focus on providing the best anti-malware/firewall solution and have opted to limit our programs to that only, not to adding various other features that not everyone needs and are not in the scope of malware removal.

What is more, even if we'd provide such a feature, it would not always be effective because we'd need to identify each component belonging to a certain program which is not always possible (meaning remnants would remain on the system).

In case of AVG I have good experience with their product installer, you can download it here (just look for the right version 32/64 bit). Generally speaking, when having trouble uninstalling a security product, always search the product's website, many products provide specific uninstall tools which often are the most effective (after all the company does know what components their products do add and know what to remove :)).