Sign in to follow this  
Jacobwb7

Windows won't load

Windows won't load how do I fix it?

I am not the most tech savvy individual but I grew up with computers so likewise I am not completely hopeless.

I had a pesky bit of malware Desktop Security 2010, my usual malware program was for some reason not removing it all (Malware Bytes). So I decided to become adventurous and try another malware remover, A Squared, it seemed credible enough and very well may be. But after it went to quarantine all of the problems it had detected windows displayed a small little box with a red circle and X which said Windows had to shutdown and I had 60 seconds to save all my work.

Windows shutdown, and of course when it came to reload I decided to go with the option to start windows normally... at which point it would display this delightful blue screen, http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=t0t9i8&s=6

When I'd attempt to start Windows from the "Last Known Good Configuration" it will load and stay, not frozen, but Ctrl, Alt, Delete will not bring up the Task Manager. This is what that looks like

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=1q0l6q&s=6

Now I tried to load in "Safe Mode" to no avail it will load a cursor, All black Screen and "Safe Mode" displayed in all four corners but no interface, command prompt, nothing, even when I load "Safe Mode with Command Prompt"

I'm really hoping, as anyone would that I can fix this error and recover my files.

I appreciate any and all help in advance, Thank You

As a subnote, I have read a couple other posts on this forum in regards to this type of problem. I do not currently have a "Windows XP" disk, or an HP Recovery Disk or any disk of the sort. Though I do have a series of back up disks made approximately 6 months ago.

It sounds like some of your system files got infected or patched by malware. When a-squared removed them it rendered your system unbootable.

You may want to consider downloading one of the free Linux Live CDs to either get the files out of a-squared's Quarantine to restore the operating system to it's infected but bootable state or you may want to do a repair installation of Windows to replace all infected system files by clean ones.

It sounds like some of your system files got infected or patched by malware. When a-squared removed them it rendered your system unbootable.

You may want to consider downloading one of the free Linux Live CDs to either get the files out of a-squared's Quarantine to restore the operating system to it's infected but bootable state or you may want to do a repair installation of Windows to replace all infected system files by clean ones.

Alrighty, I know it may be tedious, and I'm sure your directions seemed simple but if you could please explain to me how exactly to accomplish either of these, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Bump, if anyone can assist in giving directions on how to do a repair installation or install a linux live and the steps necessary to get my window's files out of quarantine please help.

Hi Jacobwb7

Please Google "free Linux Live CDs" and sure start from wiki

There is a lot of info "how to" & that should not be very difficult but ask if you have questions

My regards

Steps to restore the system using a Live CD highly depends on the CD you are using. Regarding the repair installation you may want to take a look here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

Thank you both very much for your time,

I feel confident I'll be able to do one or the other but before I do, I was curious if it is likely I'll loose any files by doing a Repair Installation?

or if I choose to go the route of a Live CD installation of Linux?

Thank you once again,

Jacob

I feel confident I'll be able to do one or the other but before I do, I was curious if it is likely I'll loose any files by doing a Repair Installation?

Data loss is a possibility if you accidentally choose to format your hard disk during installation. Additionally currently installed application may stop working.

or if I choose to go the route of a Live CD installation of Linux?

You should not run a Live CD installation at all. This would install Linux on your system. This is not what you want to do. You want to boot from the Live CD, extract the files from the a-squared Quarantine folder (Default: C:\Program Files\a-squared Free\Quarantine) and send those files to [email protected] I can than extract the files and send them back to you so you can put them back in place and boot.

The Live CD is a lot safer then the repair installation. If you don't know what Live CD to download I would recommend the Ubuntu Live CD (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download). Just be sure to boot the CD in Live CD mode (which should be the default) and not to choose the installation mode. Additionally don't start the Ubuntu Installer later.

In either case you should only use the restored system to get backups of your important data. The system is completely subverted and can't be trusted any longer. So a complete reinstall is the only way to be sure your system is clean again.

• Upvote 1

Data loss is a possibility if you accidentally choose to format your hard disk during installation. Additionally currently installed application may stop working.

You should not run a Live CD installation at all. This would install Linux on your system. This is not what you want to do. You want to boot from the Live CD, extract the files from the a-squared Quarantine folder (Default: C:\Program Files\a-squared Free\Quarantine) and send those files to [email protected] I can than extract the files and send them back to you so you can put them back in place and boot.

The Live CD is a lot safer then the repair installation. If you don't know what Live CD to download I would recommend the Ubuntu Live CD (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download). Just be sure to boot the CD in Live CD mode (which should be the default) and not to choose the installation mode. Additionally don't start the Ubuntu Installer later.

In either case you should only use the restored system to get backups of your important data. The system is completely subverted and can't be trusted any longer. So a complete reinstall is the only way to be sure your system is clean again.

Thank you for the clarification, just so I understand entirely what the process is going to be though... I download Ubuntu through the aforementioned link.

Write it onto a disk

Insert disk, and then it will give me the options to install Linux, or boot the CD in Live Mode.

I want to boot the CD in Live Mode, open up C Squared Quarantine folder and then send them to your aforementioned e-mail address, then put those files in place save all the important files/documents I have then reinstall Windows XP?

I don't mean to be difficult I just want to make sure we're all on the same page.

Thank you guys for taking the time to explain all of this, it's not done in vain assuming I get my computer working I'm seriously considering purchasing C Squared to prevent this sort of thing in the future.

Jacobwb7,

First, do not rush to reinstall XP.

Do things step-by-step and report the events.

Sure you have to just set the BIOS (if not already) to boot from the said CD... - no installation, as Fabian pointed

Then, please confirm that you can see the /Quarantine/ folder as described

If so, save it (say, into external media) and that could be sent to EMSI and to Fabian in particular

Then you will be advised further

My regards

Jacobwb7,

First, do not rush to reinstall XP.

Do things step-by-step and report the events.

Sure you have to just set the BIOS (if not already) to boot from the said CD... - no installation, as Fabian pointed

Then, please confirm that you can see the /Quarantine/ folder as described

If so, save it (say, into external media) and that could be sent to EMSI and to Fabian in particular

Then you will be advised further

My regards

Thank you for the fast response,

I am currently sending the files to the aforementioned email address and they are also saved to an external hard drive... may I just say it seems odd to be saving viruses?

I look forward to hearing for either you or Fabian soon, thank you once again for all your help and due diligence.

On a sub note is it normal for Mozilla not to function properly while being run on a Live Disk? I'm just curious if this is a symptom of my problem or a normal occurrence of using Live Disks.

Best Regards,

Jacob

P.S. I apologize if I did not properly send the email, I just attached the files?

... may I just say it seems odd to be saving viruses?

I look forward to hearing for either you or Fabian soon, thank you once again for all your help and due diligence.

Thanks for reply, Jacob

That's is not odd at all

...considering ...

We don't know what was quarantined ... and sometimes some things are not suppose to be... even if they are infected, but those could be False positives (FPs) as well

Please read some Stickies at the beginning of any section of the forum

Sure you will hear from Fabian, because he is a developer and he has an ability to analyse files submitted (I'm nobody - just a volunteer here)

Let's hope (almost sure) all will end with a complete success

Cheers!