Chiefhenry27

Difficulties installing Anti-Malware

Hello,

I hand an older version of Emsisoft Anti-Malware on my PC installed circa 2011.  I hadn't fired the computer up for some time, however, when I just did recently I was unable to connect to the server when performing the definitions update.  When checking the Emsisoft webiste, it looked like there was a new GUI on the Anti-Malware software so I figured I would uninstall the exisiting version and download the new version.

I went to add/remove programs and uninstalled my Emsisoft software and restarted when prompted.  Once it was removed, I worked to install the new software via my download, however, this is where the problem manifested.  I continually receive the following error (attached as well):

It appears a version of Emsisoft Anti-Malware or Emsisoft Internet Security is already installed on your system.  Please uninstall the program and reboot before trying to run this setup again.

If you are sure you don't have Emsisoft Anti-Malware or Emsisoft Internet Security currently installed, please contact our support: http://support.emsisoft.com

I checked program files and found what looked like some remnant folders and files so I just deleted these, but it did not alleviate the message.  I'm not sure where else to look.  Does anyone have any suggestions on locations where I may need to delete some files?  Thanks.

post-34315-0-13956000-1415405769_thumb.jpg
Download Image

Update:  After a little more digging, I downloaded Emsiclean from the following link: https://dl.emsisoft.com/Emsiclean.zip and that seemed to solve the problem!

Edited by GT500
Updated link for Emsiclean. There are now two versions (32-bit and 64-bit) bundled in a ZIP archive. Run EmsiClean64, and if you see an error message then run EmsiClean32.
  • Upvote 1

Is happens a lot of times when you uninstall antivirus or internet security suite through programs and feature. When you perform programs and feature uninstall method is only uninstall the destination folder,but not the temporary files or folder to it.Therefore, you will have a major issue when you try to install new security software because is will give you a new message that said you already have security software, and that's why we needs antivirus uninstall tools to get rid of the any traces behind so we will have no problem further on.

• Upvote 1

yes definitely when ever i have an issue with a software. first i try to see if it could be bad install due to windows problem. using revo uninstaller or emsiclean is what does the job which removes the traces including registry.

In general it is not recommended to use Emsiclean on your own. There are various potential problems with it that aren't obvious and may result in data loss. We therefore recommend to not use it unless one of our support employees instructs you to.