Nikilet

Scan Logs

I'm sorry ... I guess we'll have to call this "Emsisoft for Dummies." I don't know how many times I clicked on SCAN and LOGS until I finally noticed that underneath those caps there was another "Scan" -- which I clicked on and FINALLY got to the logs.

As you can see in the snippit I'm attaching, I'm running Smart Scans. Why on earth are they taking so long and why does the time vary so much? 

I really wouldn't care how long they took, except that when Emsisoft is running, often I barely have a functioning computer for anything else. This desktop is an older computer, however, what I'm complaining about was not this way when I first started using a2. I would hardly even be aware a scan was running. Also, I have a fairly new Toshiba laptop with way more "umph" all the way around and it seems to take a long time on that machine too.

This desktop has 4 GB RAM on Vista Home Premium

288 GB HD with 186 GB free

Processor: Intel® Core 2 CPU    6320 @ 1.86GHz

I have changed my scheduled scans to run early in the morning when I know I won't be using the computer, but is there a setting on a2 so that when my computer goes to sleep the scan will still run?

post-26590-0-76045800-1416946924_thumb.png
Download Image

Hi Nikilet,

You can cut down the amount of resources EAM uses by clicking on SCAN  and at the very bottom  click on Performance settings.  You choose how many processors on your system to use and the number of threads as well so it doesn't overload your system.

Hope that helps

I thank you for this information, however, I have no idea what these things mean so I can't make any kind of intelligent decision. I don't know how many processors I have and when it talks about number of threads I have no idea what that means. Could you help me out a little more, please?

OK, here is a picture of mine Picture

I have 2 processors on my computer and I let EAM use both of them because my scan runs at 3AM when I'm sleeping.  If you notice EAM slowing your computer down, uncheck one of the processors.  As for threads, the smaller the number (IE 1) means you are using less system resources.  You can also lower the priority to like below normal so it doesn't slow your system down as much.

Hope that helps a little,

• Use silent mode for scan process - Configures scheduled scans to run invisibly to prevent distracting windows while you are working on the computer. Only an animated Emsisoft Scanner icon is displayed in the Taskbar. The Scanner window will only appear if an object is detected, to provide you with information. If nothing is detected the Scanner automatically terminates when it is finished. 

I went to Performance and set the unselected one processor and set the threads down to 1 (it had been on 3). My computer scanned today and it was not being used at the time. It didn't make any difference because the scan time was 2 hours 20 minutes. Actually, I don't care about the time unless it slows my computer down to where I can't do anything. I wasn't using it so I still haven't been able to truly test the change in settings. I have the scans set to perform at 3 a.m., but my computer falls asleep and the scans do not run. As soon as I sit down at my computer and wake it up then the scan opens and runs. Is there a remedy for that?

At the moment not. We are looking into allowing schedule scans to wake up your system as an option though.

In general I would appreciate it if you could create a new thread instead of replying in one of your older threads if you have a new question that is not at all related to your old thread. Thanks.

I  must take exception with your remark, Fabian, about creating a new thread for new questions that are not at all related. This is ALL related to the issues I am having with my scans and what I can do to work around/alleviate those issues.

Except that this thread is not about your problems with scans but about, to quote your initial post:

Where do I find the Emsisoft Anti-Malware scan logs?

In the end we can agree to disagree. It is not in your interest to continue as you do though. Once a thread was answered by one of our employees that employee will usually continue to provide replies for the rest of the thread. Posting requests that warrant a new thread in an existing thread will continue to lock you to that one customer service representative that replied first, that may or may not be available and may or may not work in a time zone that fits yours. Creating a new thread however will allow the next free representative of ours to reply to you which in general results in a faster reply. The decision is yours.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why you are taking such an exception to my posting. And I can't imagine why you seem to insist I should have started more than one post on this issue. 

I did not reply on an "older thread" with a new question unrelated to my first question. I started on Nov. 24 with my question about where to find the scan logs so I could substantiate my claims regarding the scan times, and once I could do that by locating the logs I came right back on Nov. 25 with "the rest of the story."

All of my questions were answered pretty much right away by 4 posters, including yourself. I am sorry if I have offended you in some way with my manner of posting, but I have to be honest with you and tell you that this is lost on me because I DO NOT get it at all.

Thanks to all who helped me out with this. I have been working today on the computer as the scan was running and since adjusting those performance settings down to 1 processor and 1 thread,  it didn't seem as though I was affected as much by the scan running as I normally am. Hopefully that is the case.

Hi Nikilet,

Your questions did jump around about info on location of scan logs but did kind of lead into performance issues etc from there.  Believe me, I've been here for a long time & Fabian is one of the best on the development team, I am willing to TRY to help when I can.  Please don't take his info or mine as negative, like ALL of us we are ALL trying to help one another!

The subject of the thread says it all, if you mix different issues in one single thread you also make the life of users looking for solutions in this forum a very difficult journey. I would never look into a "scan log" thread if I am looking for hints on issues with the performance of my system. Not too difficult to follow, no?  :)