hjlbx

What are the Differences between HIPS/Firewall in OA 7 vs EIS 9?

Are the HIPS/firewall features and functionality of Online Armor 7 identical to those in Emsisoft Internet Security 9?

From the little information I could find, EIS' HIPS/firewall can not be configured to the same extent as with OA.  (Additionally, the drivers are different - which shouldn't be a problem - unless OA development is to be phased out.)

One of my primary needs is extensive granular control - especially with HIPS.  

Firewall, not so much - other than to stealth ports and the ability to terminate connections.

Also, is the plan to eventually phase-out Online Armor as a stand-alone application?

If not, will the EAM - EOA (EIS "Pack") continue to be offered?

Thanks,

hjlbx

I know that the EIS 9 firewall is revamped with numerous improvements and added IPv6 support.

Are these features not a part of EIS9?:

Run Safer

File & Registry Guard

Hosts File monitoring

Does the Online Banking Protection provide against MiB, MiM, and data capture attacks?

Thanks,

hjlbx

Are the HIPS/firewall features and functionality of Online Armor 7 identical to those in Emsisoft Internet Security 9?

No they aren't. The firewall in EIS is a lot more sophisticated and offers a lot more options than the one used in Online Armor. On the other hand EIS does not use any kind of HIPS but relies on our behavior blocker instead.

One of my primary needs is extensive granular control - especially with HIPS.

Then EIS is not an option for you as it does not include any HIPS functionality.

Also, is the plan to eventually phase-out Online Armor as a stand-alone application?

There are no concrete plans as of yet.

If not, will the EAM - EOA (EIS "Pack") continue to be offered?

That offer has been discontinued the day we released EIS.

Are these features not a part of EIS9?:

No they are not, as they are all HIPS related.

Hello Fabian,

As I am sure you noticed, I currently use Comodo Internet Security.  However, I have reached a point where I question the need for HIPS in ordinary, day-to-day use.

Improperly configured, HIPS can be too obtrusive.  It can overwhelm the user and worse, there is a natural inclination to react to all the alerts by simply "Allowing" all actions, thereby negating the protection HIPS provides.  More importantly, as you state elsewhere on the forum, the skilled use of HIPS requires a steep learning curve; it certainly is not for the uninitiated.  So overall, HIPS is rather onerous... 

The only cases where I see its necessity would be as a tool to help zero-in on a difficult infection and/or as a general system assessment/control tool.  Both of these are not required for the average user under typical, day-to-day conditions.

From what I can tell, Emsisoft's Behavior Blocker provides a very good balance between ease-of-use (automation) and a very high level of protection.

I suppose that, if the need arises, selecting Paranoid Mode for the Behavior Blocker would make it generate alerts to an extent almost equivalent to HIPS?  The only distinction being that the Behavior Blocker monitors and alerts to specific, potentially malicious activites whereas HIPS does this for - well - anything and everything.

Thanks,

hjlbx

Paranoid mode disables various whitelists we use to reduce the amount of false positives. It has become pretty much obsolete and is still a relic of older times where we used more aggressive whitelisting. It will be removed in one of the future versions. So if you want to make a decision based on "Behavior Blocker put in paranoid mode" I would say don't. You will be disappointed by the option's removal in the next few months.