Emsisoft Internet Security 9.0.0.4668

· OS                                   Windows 8.1
· Bit                                    x64
· Original installed OS        Windows 8.1 x64
· OS version                       OEM
· Hardware age                  3 months
· OS age                            2 weeks

· CPU                                 AMD A8-6410 APU
· Video Card                      ATI/AMD A4-6000 with Radeon R5 Graphics Chipset
· MotherBoard                   TOSHIBA ZBWAE

· System Manufacturer        TOSHIBA

· Exact model number        C55Dt-B5028
    Version                                     PSCU6N-009004

· Type                                  Laptop

During a Full or Smart scan, sometimes when I open IE11 and/or FF31.3esr, one or both will hang (..."Not Responding") with concurent delay in accessing the network (internet).

Sometimes it is necessary to kill IE via Task Manager.

Sometimes IE11 and/or FF31.3esr will return message "Cannot find Server..." inside the browser.

After a few minutes this behavior will end.

NOTE:  My resource settings for scans are as follows:

I have thread setting to 8 at highest priority. 

My system has 4 cores and handles the  8  threads and the priority well.

There is no problem with CPU usage; it rarely exceeds 50 % CPU and averages 30 % during scan

There is no problem with RAM usage; 75 to 350 MB and I still have 30 % to 50 % free RAM

Thanks,

hjlbx

Correction:

Sometimes I have to close and reopen browser to reconnect to internet.

The above behaviors begin to occur once the scan reaches the 75 % completed point on my system; in other words, during the slowest and most resource intensive part of the scan.

Thanks,

hjlbx

Putting the thread priority to "highest" will seriously mess with the Windows thread scheduler, especially if you use more threads than you actually have cores (our recommendation is number of cores + 1). Without going into too much detail on how thread scheduling works: The way you set up your scan at the moment will cause the thread that processes network requests to starve (meaning: it gets little to no CPU time to actually do its work). Putting the thread priority back to normal levels should solve that issue.

Hello Fabian,

You are correct.

After my original post I reset scan settings back to default.

Problem fixed.

Thank You,

hjlbx

Putting the thread priority to "highest" will seriously mess with the Windows thread scheduler, especially if you use more threads than you actually have cores (our recommendation is number of cores + 1). Without going into too much detail on how thread scheduling works: The way you set up your scan at the moment will cause the thread that processes network requests to starve (meaning: it gets little to no CPU time to actually do its work). Putting the thread priority back to normal levels should solve that issue.

My thread priority is highest. However, i don't have any issue at all, so should i set it back to normal or leave at highest? I have I7-4770k + 8GB RAM

In general the defaults are pretty solid for most circumstances. We recommend to change them only if you actually want to lower the resource usage. Not to increase it because if you don't know exactly what you are doing you will eventually run into issues like hjlbx did.