brew

Emsisoft will not run

I have run several scans on my computer looking for malware.  So far, all have come back clean and I have not deleted or cleaned any files.. I thought I would give the Emsisoft Emergency Kit a try. I downloaded and attempted to run.  I received the following error message:

Class not registered, Class ID {56FDF344-FD6D-11D0-958A006097C9A090}

Can anyone help me out with this?  Thanks.

That class ID belongs to a Windows component that allows applications to modify their appearance in the Windows task bar. It is used to show scan and update progress directly inside the Windows task bar button for example. Some tools however will uninstall that component. We already updated EEK to not fail to start if the component is missing. That update is currently only available in beta though. You can however re-register the Windows component manually using the registry script I attached. Just unpack the ZIP file and double click the taskbar_component.reg file. When asked whether you want to add the information from the registry file to your registry just click "Yes". EEK should start properly after that.

taskbar_component.zip

I made an error.  The first time I did not unzip the file before I ran it.  I did run it correctly by unzipping and installing the file.  the scanner still won't run.  did I make things worse by installing the unzipped file?  Sorry.

Where do I find the current beta 4700?

Is it safe to run the beta version? 

Yes. I also have this issue and the only way to fix it is to restore your computer. This is why i always create a restore point when i runs anti malware or they tried to remove stuff from my computer. 

I don't know when this occured so I have no idea of when to try to restore to.   The computer seems to be operating satisfactorily, with the exception of being able to run the scanner.

There is unfortunately no easy way to switch to the EEK beta if you don't have a running EEK version to begin with. So for the time being you will have to wait until the beta is released publicly and the download has been updated.

Ok.  Thanks for the help.  Although I have not noticed any issues, would the installation of the unzipped registry file cause any problems down the road?  Would a syatem restore be in order.

Do you have any idea when the new version will becaome available for download?

Thanks again for your help.