Sign in to follow this  
HAWKI

Firewall Question

Hi :-)

I have my firewall settings set to "ask" when an unknown program wants to make an outgoing connection. If I "Block" an outgoing connection is that unknown program permanently blocked from attempting to make the same connection? Or if it attempts to make the same connection will I see another pop-up that will let me allow the same outgoing connection to be made? If not, how would I undo the blocking of the same outgoing program?

If I am not totally familiar with all the unknown programs on my PC and the types of connections they may attempt to make would I be better off to set the automatic rule to "allow" rather than "ask"?

This is the only part of EMIS that confuses me, as I really don't know whether or not to allow an outgoing  connection from an unknown program. Is the safest action to take "block" or if I do that might I be not allowing a safe program to make a safe outgoing connection?

It is my understanding that live.com (or whatevr it's called) is a Microsoft program that allows communications. Do non-microsoft programs use live.com.? Is "live" not a digitally signed program?

Why would a legit. program not be digitally signed?

Hello,

if you block a connection the connection can not be established before editing the application rule to allow the connection.

You will find all rules in the EIS section Protection subsection Application Rules.

If I am not totally familiar with all the unknown programs on my PC and the types of connections they may attempt to make would I be better off to set the automatic rule to "allow" rather than "ask"?

That is your decision. From a security view use ask for all unknown programs.

live.com or outlook.com is only a name for the Microsoft email service. In the past the name was hotmail.com. Do you use Outlook or Windows Live Mail as e-mail client to manage your e-mails? If yes you can allow Outlook or Windows Live Mail in EIS to establish connections.

Thanks for the info.

I don't use Microsoft email service or Outlook, but why would such programs be unknown and have no digital signature?

Usually I'm torn between blocking an outgoing communiaction attempt and fear of blocking some outgoing communication seervice that is necessary for one of my programs to run properly.

In the past I've always let them through, but after a reinstall decided not to allow them cuz in the past I get a lot of pop-ups about live which I know is a Mirosoft communications service,and typically let them through. But decided against it this time.

Typically in the past I get pop-ups for these services to communicate through a number of different ports, or to different places.

Can/do any other programs try to use these services?