Sign in to follow this  
TXGuy

Change in update size

I am using A-Squared Free version 4.5.0.27. I have been using A-S for about 7 months.

I run signature updates 1-2 time per day, every day. I use A-S for additional scanning, not on-access/real-time use.

In the past couple of weeks, the size of the updates have increase significantly. Prior updates were 300Kb - 500Kb approximately. Of late, most updates are 4-5MB, with an occasional smaller update file(s) on the update gui.

1. Is something new happening with the updates or is something possibly wrong with my A-S installation?
  2. Is there a method to refresh the entire signature database without re-installing a fresh copy of A-S?

Any suggestions or information will be appreciated.

Hi,

wenn Objekte nicht entfernt werden können würde ich erst einmal einen Scan im abgesicherten Modus durchführen.

In den meinsten Fällen können die Objekte im abgesicherten Modus enfernt werden.

Hachi'

I do not understand how your answer:

If objects can not be removed, I would do once scan one in Safe Mode.

In my cases, the objects in Safe Mode can be away.

in any remote way applies to my questions.

Hi TXGuy, welcome to the forum.

Lately there are more frequent updates of the a-squared' native signatures and that's what contributing to the size of each update

You always can check the update log

and then look into \Singatures\ directory in order to see what files were delivered (by date) and compare their total size as what was in stated at the beginning of the update

Usually the updates of Additional Signatures (Ikarus) are more frequent and those differential updates are smaller in size each. Sure if you miss day or two you will get bigger update

Most likely currently some “cleaning” of a2 signatures is taking place

The developers may explain the reason

...Is there a method to refresh the entire signature database without re-installing a fresh copy of A-S?...

If the reason for the question was about current size of updates (3.4MB this morning here) - there is no need to reinstall the Software because of that.

In addition there is no officially supporter method doing that Off-line

There is non-official one for Ikarus signatures, but that can cause problems - that was discussed in our old forum

My regards

P.S. I will ask Hachi' about his reply . I am not sure why he place it here. It could be just by accident according to my not perfect translation :)

Sorry for my reply, don't know why this post appears in this thread...

My reply was for another thread in the german forum :)

Sorry for the confusion

... don't know why this post appears in this thread... My reply was for another thread in the german forum :)

NP, man! Thank you for reply

No apology/"sorry" needed, considering your extraordinary work & help "over here"

... accidents never happen... no way - all is predefined!

... but "Witches" - that hunt will never end :lol:

Cheers!

P.S. I'll send you (PM) the "Hut of Baba Yaga" (the Witch) contemporary interpretation of Russian classic music. Neither the the creator of the source nor the rock stars of that caliber will ever be born again