SoundJudgment

EIS and Windows 10 TP. Is it time.. .to make the move?

I know this was brought up back in October. So I held off updating my system to Windows 10 TP at that time.

Now it is a couple of months later. And there is a big 'update' to Windows 10 TP coming to users Next Month (January).

So, if we upgrade to Windows 10 at that time, could we reasonably be assured EIS will be ready to work with that release?

I would *hate* to have to run our system without EIS installed. I don't like to feel nekkid without EIS protection on a PC!   :P

Anyone using EIS 9 with Windows 10 TP and not having issues to worry about now?

We don't officially support Windows 10 at this point. There are still major changes going on in Windows 10 and it is simply not feasible for a small team like ours to keep up with all of them. As a result we usually don't bother supporting per-releases unless they are in the very last stages of testing (release candidates). That being said, EAM and EIS should work just fine and I know a few of our testers are using both on Windows 10 already. So if you are feeling frisky I would suggest to go for it.

• Upvote 1

In general we have a good track record at having a new version out as soon as a new major OS version is released. I would be surprised if it would be any different when Windows 10 comes around.

Well, we are currently on the Windows 10 Pro TP Build 9926. Unfortunately, Emsisoft 9 IS is reporting at Boot-Up: 

"A Major Problem has prevented the Application from starting. Emsisoft Security cannot connect to the service application... etc."

This was after a fresh installation of the Security Suite (with Beta updates enabled), and naturally it prevents things from running at this time here.

As we fully know, EIS is not developed to be used with the TP-releases of Windows 10 at this time. But the year is still young. We will continue to monitor each new update, while falling back upon a less-than-ideal backup AV solution, which does run with Windows 10, but feels... less than ideal in terms of protection.  :P  It will get there.. I am sure! We will not give up till it is a match made in heaven! :)

That happened to me upgrading to Win 10 Build 9926.  Solution was simple.  Just uninstall EIS, and then reinstall it.  Works fine here.

Pete

Well, sadly that did not work the first time. But I tried it again... and lo' and behold, this time it worked! The Server was found and the copy re-authenticated. Then it fully updated itself. Whooohooo! Emsisoft IS is back and working on Windows 10 here! Happy days. :D

I wish I could say the same but having installed, uninstalled and even used emsiclean it just refuses to work with build 9926 on my laptop.

Message is "waiting for component to start" and that's it. Nothing more.

I wish I could say the same but having installed, uninstalled and even used emsiclean it just refuses to work with build 9926 on my laptop.

Message is "waiting for component to start" and that's it. Nothing more.

Unfortunately not much you can do.  Emsisoft is not yet supporting Win 10 TP

Most of the problems are caused by "update installs" so far. Clean Windows 10 installs usually work just fine in combination with EIS. When in doubt you should at least uninstall EIS/EAM before installing the Windows 10 update.

As mentioned before, we don't officially support Windows 10 and we won't for a while until it at least enters the release candidate status.

Updating to Windows 10 in general is quite risky, especially if you have a lot of low level tools installed. I managed to ruin the entire TCP/IP stack on my system due to Proxifier not handling the transition very well.

• Upvote 1

At this stage, I would only run it on a VM.   I did not try and do any upgrades, but started with a clean system.    A bit down the road I may try an upgrade on a Win 7 VM, but it's premature to put it on hardware unless you can totally restore your system from scratch.

At this stage, I would only run it on a VM.   I did not try and do any upgrades, but started with a clean system.    A bit down the road I may try an upgrade on a Win 7 VM, but it's premature to put it on hardware unless you can totally restore your system from scratch.

If you do an in-place upgrade it automagically creates a rollback option to your previously installed OS.

On the original topic, I reinstalled Win 10 over itself and found that IS9 installed and works perfectly now.

If you do an in-place upgrade it automagically creates a rollback option to your previously installed OS.

On the original topic, I reinstalled Win 10 over itself and found that IS9 installed and works perfectly now.

Bottom line Emsisoft isn't supporting, yet

I think everything about this topic has been said. We do not support Windows 10 at this point. We don't plan to officially support any of the preview releases either. If you do want to use it with EAM or EIS you are doing so at your own risk.